• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Here is my entertaining story

DEC 2008 i started having stomach pains but i had to wait for my insurance to kick in at my new job. I went from weighing 123 to 102 in May 2010. After having multiple tests to find out what i had (i had some of the symptoms but not all of them) i was diagnosed with a hiatle hernia, GERD, celiacs, IBS, and last but not least Crohns in the term ilium. Hita scans, ultrasounds, cat scans, endoscopy, colonoscopy...couldnt find a damn thing wrong with me for 2 YEARS!!! Last may i got hospitalized for what felt like an apendecidis attack and they came back saying it was crohns. The doctors said it was crohns but my biopsy came back negative. After being put on mulitple medications and none of them working (Entocort, Pentasa, Bentyl, prilosec, 6mp) he decided to put me on humira last September 2010. Since then i have have maybe 5-7 times where i had pain, but not nearly as bad as what i dealt with for 2 years. Feeling shocking jolts in my abdomen was not my idea of having fun lol. So i am doing better now, my weigh is back up to around 118 (doc said im still a little underweight but i always have been) and thats hed like me to stay on humira. i havent had too many symptoms from the medicine, some minimal joint pain in my elbows and headaches at first but thankfully those went away after a few times with the shot. I just wish theyd find an actual cure for it by now. I couldnt eat apples anymore cause theyd kill my stomach, and after a while i just barely ate because i didnt want to feel pain. I dont know how some of you feel about this, but this is what i believe.

Stress has a great amount to do with your body. and christmas 2008 my grandma was hospitalized and the following april she past away. I was also 21 in 2008 so my belief on this is, i drank myself into crohns haha (ok not really that funny OR logical but still lol) on top of being stressed with the loss of my grandmother. I could actually feel my stomach hurt more if i got to be too stressed out. i keep being assured from my GI doctor that stress has nothing to do with ulcers or anything (they were looking for those too). No one knows where crohns comes from aside from being herditary (colitis does run in my family though too).

So thats for the most part of my story. sorry a little all over the place it just seems like there would be so much to cover. waking up screaming in the night for the pains getting too unbearable i am happy i finally got something working for me. now i just want to get on with my life and start my family which i cant even do because i need to be in remission for a full year before i even think of having kids. my OBGYN said if i were to get pregnant now with that pain, it would just cause me to miscarry and i dont need to go through that pain either!

So everyone out there with this disease, i feel your pain, it sucks, and has ruined many fun moments i could have had. Hang in there!!!

Hi Freak :) and welcome!

GLad ur doin ok right now, hope it continues...

as regards stress, there's a thread on here about how ppls CD got started and a large majority of ppl say stress was a factor. My own GI here in UK says stress can play a part in CD, but obviously its a hard thing to quantify and test for.

All the best

Ian

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome! I am sorry it took so it was such a long road to diagnosis. However, good news you're doing so well now! I hope Humira continues to do the trick and you can start that family sooner than later.

ameslouise

Hi Freak and welcome!

Yes, stress can be a major factor in IBD and as you read around the forum you will that common with alot of people.

Glad the Humira is doing the trick for the most part and you are doing okay. There's lot of knowledgeable people here and good advice so if you have any questions, ask away!

-Amy