• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Picnic foods

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
The weather here has been cold and rainy for quite awhile now, but finally tomorrow it's supposed to be warm and sunny. I plan on having a picnic over my lunch hour to celebrate! I might pack a sandwich or pasta, a hardboiled egg, maybe some goat cheese and crackers. I'd love to hear other ideas though, since that's pretty much what I pack in my regular lunch anyway. What would you guys pack in a picnic lunch?

ameslouise

Fried chicken!!!

Okay, so maybe that's not good for us.... How about a wrap or sandwich and a fruit salad? And chips. And dessert....

Enjoy!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Amy, drool! If only! Sadly my fried chicken days are over. :(

I was just thinking about dessert, actually. I don't plan on watching the royal wedding, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't make a yummy British dessert such as sticky toffee pudding. Yummmmm. :D

rygon

I was supposed to be having a picnic last month (person decided she couldnt go the same day as i bought all the food grrr)
But i had Steak wrap with relish, chicken wrap with mayo. Cold new potatoes with garlic, butter, parsley (these were delicious). Some fruit and a cake for afters.

Maybe some vegetable rice will go well with it

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
If I were smart, my fried chicken days would be over. Sadly, I married a southern man who really can fry the chicken. I eat and suffer for a while. Dumb, dumb, and dummer!

You could have meringues and if you can tolerate yoghurt you could have Eton Mess...crunched up meringues with cream and strawberries. In our house we have crunched up meringues with low fat strawberry flavoured yoghurt because my girls don't like cream...yummy...looking forward to when I can eat it again.
Take the meringues in a separate pot and chuck them in just before eating though or they go soggy!

Cheese and yogurts causes major problems for me and so would anything with garlic or spices, vinegars, dressings or pickles, I also have to avoid yeast and I am avoiding meat, fish and eggs because they are hard to digest and cause toxic overload in my liver (though I am not vegan by choice and I do miss meat and fishes very much).

If I were having a picnic (which I very often do!) I would pack a lovely risotto in a tub with an unusual grain such as Barley, Quinoa, Amaranth, lovely rice etc... In that I would use lentils, mung beans or black beans, possible a few mixed nuts and seeds and raisins (although I keep them to a minimum because they are hard to digest), I would also have mixed vegetables like parsnips, cucumber, celery, courgette, avocado, would also have alfalfa sprouts etc... Might also include lovely fresh herbs like parsley or basil (but not coriander, this seems to bring on horrid pain and symptoms) Would then drizzle a tablespoon of lovely oil such as olive, hemp, avocado or ghee etc...

Desert would probably be a millionaire shortbread, flapjack or very dark rich chocolate, fruit cake (anything sweet really!)

Enjoy! xxx