Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your SAFE and UNSAFE foods?

01-24-2014, 08:58 AM   #271
Plissken

1. Crohns

2. UNSAFE
Raw vegetables, Fruits , Red meat, All beans, Dairy, Nuts, High wheat/fibre cereals, Chocolate, Carbonated drinks, Alcohol, fried foods.

3. SAFE
Gluten free pasta (lifesaver), Rice, Fish, Chicken, Turkey, white bread, garlic bread, soya spread.
Snacks - Gluten free crisps like Pom Bears are great for snacks (the none cheese types). Biscuits like rich tea and party rings seem to be fine with me too.

I grill or bake all meats no frying.

I'm fine with pesto and purees which has been amazing for the gluten free pasta. I often will make pasta with chilli pesto, garlic puree and chop up some smoked salmon, pinch of salt/pepper and some italian seasoning. Delicious! Throw in some garlic bread and I don't feel like I'm missing out so much any more
01-24-2014, 04:02 PM   #272
ce1210

My Support Groups:
Unsafe- Nuts, Anything with seeds, any with a peel or rind, Cow's milk, Wheat, Alcohol, anything overly acidic (tomatoes, sour candy, etc), too mcuh sugar at once, coffee, whole corn kernels

Safe- Yerba Mate, Cooked veggies, Any meat as long as its not deep fried, rice, wheat free cereal, goats milk, soy milk, almond milk, corn products (chips, noodles, etc)
02-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #273
RCJ

Unsafe foods? Any food is unsafe if I eat too much of it, which I still sometimes do...

But definitely have problems with mushrooms and spicy food!
03-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #274
Erb
Banned

This is such a helpful thread and post! Thanks so much! I would like to add that Tween is the common name of Polysorbate 80/60/40/20, whatever number follows.. and it's used in the laboratory to GROW bacteria. It is bacteria food. It can be used in an acidic solution to grow MRSA. Seriously, google it. All you need is a touch of MRSA in your food with some Tween and you've got a lab in your colon.

My worst triggers are beer, wine, wheat (especially whole wheat), high fiber anything (including leafy green salad, which has to be blended to be ok), and certain cheeses (camembert will instantly lead to maddening bloat, pain, etc), while other cheeses are soothing/calming. I think it depends on the type of bacteria used to make the cheese. Red meat only triggers if it is burned in some way ("seared" or grilled). Rice isn't always safe for me, depends on how good I've been feeling. I stick to squash.

Safe foods: Squash, tomato juice or V8, spaghetti squash (bake and rake), protein shake with whey protein isolate, sprouted tofu (I used to be a vegan, this food is still safe, the regular tofu isn't), chicken, duck, turkey, fish, shellfish, olives, spaghetti sauce, homemade meatballs.

I often make homemade meatballs, then have a spaghetti-squash dinner with meatballs, on those days, I might splurge with a slice of rice based garlic bread, or a gluten free style baguette slice of bread. That's about as normal as I get anymore.
03-24-2014, 04:01 PM   #275
emix

1. Crohns
2. Not safe (during flare): Muesli, Milk, Coffee, Milk chocolate.
3. Safe (during flare): Oven baked salmon, scrambled eggs, white pasta, chicken.

Thank you all for this list!

Diagnosed 2013: Crohns (maybe UC)
Meds: 2x800mg Asacol
03-26-2014, 08:25 PM   #276
Wallace

My Support Groups:
I'm still trying to figure out my safe foods and my triggers. I have crohn's. I no longer have a terminal ileum or a cecum, they were removed over Christmas.

1. Wild game meat (properly butchered), chicken and potatoes are always good for me.

2. Anything high fiber are not good.
04-02-2014, 08:42 AM   #277
eleanorruby

1. Crohn's
2. red meat, too much caffeine, refined sugars, almost all processed foods, Ensure, large portions of grains (very small portions are okay), lentils
3. bananas, rice/almond milk, most cheeses, yogurt, nut butters, applesauce, well-cooked vegetables, chicken, fish
04-03-2014, 10:34 PM   #278
ce1210

My Support Groups:
correction to my earlier post, started using hash oil and have been feeling a million times better so I decided to try to bring coffee back and it seems to be ok now...so coffee is safe once again!
04-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #279
chicky402

My Support Groups:
1. Crohn's
2. tomatoes, fried food, greasy foods, Chinese food.
3. breads, chicken, cooked vegetables, lettuce, potatoes.

I was just diagnosed and went through a right colectomy so I am still experimenting with what effects me and what doesn't. I haven't had a flare up since, although does going to the bathroom (diarrhea) 10-15 times a day constitute a flare up? I am not sure. My GI doc isn't very informative. Help!
04-10-2014, 08:14 AM   #280
ce1210

My Support Groups:
hey chicky402 I def have a day here or there that I approach 10x but if those days were not few and far between I'd say that doesn't sound like remission....
04-27-2014, 04:11 PM   #281
Moriati

My Support Groups:
1. Crohn's

2. What I've so far discovered to be bad for me in a flare up: fizzy drinks, nuts and seeds, grains, fibrous stringy veggies that need a lot of chewing, etc etc, too much oily or fatty foods (fast food!)

3. Soup, white bread, small amount of canned tuna, banana and yoghurt, mash potatoes all the way!
04-27-2014, 07:49 PM   #282
Felisha

My Support Groups:
Unsafe Trigger Foods
All dairy products, coffee, fattening foods (anything greasy), spicy foods, rice (white or brown), anything containing wheat gluten, all grains, corn, lettuce, animal protein/ meats, liquor, popcorn, oil

Safe Foods
Cooked vegetables, pureed soups or broths, boiled chicken, tuna packed in water, bananas, canned fruit, tofu, quinoa, applesauce, caffeine-free herbal teas, egg whites, smooth peanut butter
04-27-2014, 09:26 PM   #283
Cog

1 Crohnie
2 Wheat/ grain, potato, chicken, banana, plantain,
3 Rice, beef, pork, cucumber, spicey food, coconut
06-04-2014, 04:59 AM   #284
Whit

My Support Groups:
Nobody mentions blueberries as a bad food during remission or non-flare. I'm wondering about them and if the tiny tiny seeds are as bad as say the larger non-digestibles such as corn. Thans.
Whit
06-04-2014, 03:09 PM   #285
ce1210

My Support Groups:
Blueberries are one of my favorite foods and don't seem to cause me any problems so long as I don't eat too many of them, but that seems to be the case with pretty much all foods these days. As long as I don't eat too much of any one certain thing then I'm fine...2 bites of cake and ice cream--golden. Entire piece of cake and scoop of ice cream--not pretty.
06-04-2014, 04:08 PM   #286
Whit

My Support Groups:
Thanks. It's good to hear. I'm like you. Small meals are OK but anything larger forget it. Blueberries are coming in here at my place and I think I'll try just a few on some cereal.
Whit
06-06-2014, 11:38 PM   #287
Tamera

My Support Groups:
Hi Miki. Well I , for one, can't really comment for certain as when I am feeling really ill, as I am right now, Crohn's is at the forefront of my mind...yet when I'm feeling ok (as I probably will be tomorrow), I forget about it.

What I know to be unsafe for me is dry-roasted peanuts, along with pork. Lettuce always remains undigested in the toilet along with red-pepper....I love eating these! What a cruel disease we have have to live with!
So glad to hear somebody else say pork and peanuts! Not diagnosed so far colitis! I thought I was all alone!
06-07-2014, 01:47 AM   #288
Zeppy321

My Support Groups:
What's the deal with canned beans ? They are soft enough. Is it the skins or that they could cause to much gas ? I miss my beans
06-08-2014, 09:19 AM   #289
ce1210

My Support Groups:
What's the deal with canned beans ? They are soft enough. Is it the skins or that they could cause to much gas ? I miss my beans
ya know I haven't had a problem with canned beans so long as I rinse them really well then add my own seasoning. I think the crazy amount of salt thats in canned beans really screws my stomach up...
06-08-2014, 10:49 PM   #290
Zeppy321

My Support Groups:
ya know I haven't had a problem with canned beans so long as I rinse them really well then add my own seasoning. I think the crazy amount of salt thats in canned beans really screws my stomach up...
Maybe I will give them a try when I get out of my flare.
06-08-2014, 11:40 PM   #291
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Lately, tomatoes are having a bad effect on me.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
06-09-2014, 07:35 AM   #292
ce1210

My Support Groups:
Lately, tomatoes are having a bad effect on me.

tomatoes are ok for me as long as they aren't in a heavy sauce...but a hearty spaghetti sauce will have me all screwed up
06-09-2014, 08:52 AM   #293
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
tomatoes are ok for me as long as they aren't in a heavy sauce...but a hearty spaghetti sauce will have me all screwed up
I had a doctor tell me a ling time ago that I couldn't do marinara sauce. What is it in marinara sauce that is bad?

06-09-2014, 07:25 PM   #294
ce1210

My Support Groups:
I had a doctor tell me a ling time ago that I couldn't do marinara sauce. What is it in marinara sauce that is bad?

I think they usually are made with tomato paste or some kind of concentrated tomatoes which means lots of acid. Then most red sauces have olive or some other oil and lots of sugar and salt. So all that stuff combined is I guess just rough on somebody with a "sensitive stomach". I can do some red sauces just not thick or oily ones and not a lot at once.
06-09-2014, 10:47 PM   #295
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I seem to be spending a lot of time in the bathroom tonight. I am wondering if collard greens could have done it?

06-19-2014, 09:55 PM   #296
fissure2

My Support Groups:
1. crohn's - newly diagnosed

2. brown rice, avocado, dairy, spicy, beans, flour-bleaching agents, carrots, leaf veg, cauliflower, red meat, pork, veggie burgers, canned soup, citric acid, most preservatives, celery, eggplant, onions, watermelon, alcohol, caffiene, citrus, tomato, mustard

3. bagels, eggs, fish, all soy products, crackers, pretzels, pureed fruit smoothies, ensure, dried tree nuts, applesauce, almondmilk, protein powder, small amounts of chocolate, nut butter, oatmeal, jello, honey, cinnamon sugar, miso, sorbet, coconut water,
06-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #297
Pandy

1. Crohn's
2. Tomatoes (seeds, skin or whole if raw), Any sort of fruit juice containing pulp or any pulpy fruits, uncured pork, beef if not ground, Fried chicken, uncooked broccoli, carrots. raw or cooked cabbage or spinich. Rye, pumperknickle, Whole Wheat (Fancy ones; whole wheat wonder seems ok) bread. Raw oats, honey. Pistachios, Hazelnuts, Walnuts, Peanuts, Almonds. Brussel sprouts (or maybe they are just gross :P), Beer. Peaches, plums. Coffee. Ice cream, Yogurt.

3. Coca cola/pepsi actually make me feel better but only if I drink them flat. Bacon, Peanut Butter smooth organic, Canned tomato sauce ( not glass bottles with chunks in it, not tomato paste). Bacon, Chicken baked or pan fried, ground beef, cored peeled apples & pears. Bananas, white bread, white pasta, hard cheeses, feta. Onions, cooked broccoli or carrots. Fat free/skim milk. Greek yogurt. skinless cucumber.

As a side not alot of fruits and veggies the skin really bothers me but I think.. and this just seems to be the case to me that it may be the pesticides or packaging. Organic fruits and veggies the skin sometimes still gets me but not always. Ex organic heirloom tomato without seeds im A ok. Regular tomato any of that skin gets in me im doomed.
06-20-2014, 06:02 PM   #298
Pandy

Oh and safest of all.. Ramen noodles cooked in water not the flavour pouches. drained and I use soy sauce on them. or rice with soy sauce. When I'm eating this its because I cant even stomach the thought of eating anything else.. for those really really REALLY bad days cause ill get flares that last a few days. Tastes like crap but then I dont have to! lol
06-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #299
fissure2

My Support Groups:
seeds and skin are deadly. ramen really? im afraid to try b/c its so processed. but it seems your foods are opposite of mine.
06-20-2014, 06:52 PM   #300
Pandy

The ramen noodles i use are made with enrixhed floour and potatoe startch nothiing else i get them from the asian food section usually flavour packs are spicey. I dont use mr noodles not sure if they are the same or not. Spice dosent bother me either most of the time

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your SAFE and UNSAFE foods?