Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your SAFE and UNSAFE foods?

04-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #331
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ate too many bananas yesterday.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
04-23-2015, 12:34 PM   #332
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
Ate too many bananas yesterday.

I thought bananas were a safe food for most people. Do they usually give you trouble? And how many is too many? Hope you feel better soon.
04-23-2015, 03:44 PM   #333
Crohns08

For me I can only eat ripe bananas or it upsets my tummy too. Something about the starches in the banana I think.
Yoga
Vitamin D
Gabapentin
SCD Multivitamin
Tums
Percocet
60 mg pred tapering weekly
Protonix
Levofloxin
Surgeries:
09/2011 - Draining an Abcess the size of a lemon!
10/2011 - Same abcess, different approach this time, open incision!

Add Me on Facebook!
05-02-2015, 05:21 AM   #334
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have a doctor who will be doing a food aloeegy test.

05-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #335
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I thought bananas were a safe food for most people. Do they usually give you trouble? And how many is too many? Hope you feel better soon.
I had a banana and a half.

05-02-2015, 05:33 AM   #336
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
I have a doctor who will be doing a food aloeegy test.

What kind of food allergy test?
05-03-2015, 07:13 AM   #337
JameyLynn

1. Crohn's
2. All processed foods, refined sugar, wheat products, starches, soft cheeses, alcohol, coffee (this one hurts - and I sneak one in from time to time)
3. Yogurt, yogurt, yogurt (homemade or plain organic from store), eggs, firm hard cheeses, nuts (whole and flours), all veggies, all fruits, meats (not processed/cured with refined sugars), honey, maple syrup, spices and herbs, whole grains (not when in a flare)
05-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #338
Phartologist

My Support Groups:
The list of foods will provide a very false sense of security to Crohns patients. Most any food can be eaten once, twice, etc with no ill effects until the time when it along with a secondary trigger brings about an attack. All references to any list, statistics, anecdotes, etc. must be couched with a precaution to the reader that ANY food can bring on attacks.... Lacking of this statement could prove very harmful to the trusting reader.

Acidopholus
L-Glutimine [anti-inflammatory]
Essential Fatty Acids [megadose]

05-06-2015, 09:24 AM   #339
empressentrails

My Support Groups:
I was really hoping someone else out there had the same problems with cilantro/corriander I do, but I'd guess it's just an unrelated allergy, when I eat it, instant headache/vomitting/stomach cramps.
05-06-2015, 08:36 PM   #340
Phartologist

My Support Groups:
I have the same reaction to Montreal spice... there are some spices that are killers sometimes, some always, some never
05-09-2015, 01:04 AM   #341
obascin

1. Crohn's
2. Raw veggies with seeds, seeds, nuts, anything spicy or greasy, popcorn, beans
3. White bread and pasta, flour tortillas, cooked root veggies, bananas, melon, plums, all meats, cheese in lower quantities, eggs, most soups and stews
05-09-2015, 12:38 PM   #342
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Just found out I can't do eggs.

05-09-2015, 11:30 PM   #343
Phartologist

My Support Groups:

It is interesting reading the various responses about food.... for example,

I exist on eggs, pillsbury biscuits, coffee, chicken, turkey, high fat meats,warm lemo juice in water, pecha [lambs feet], and soda. The more fat the better....

I cannot even think about any porthouse steak, salad, fresh veggies, fresh fruits, milk, cottage cheese, bananas, seeds/nuts of any kind, ....
05-18-2015, 10:51 PM   #344
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I can't do a lot of vegetables.

06-05-2015, 10:42 AM   #345
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
Just added the breath mint "Icebreakers" to my list of unsafe foods.
06-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #346
Layla

My Support Groups:
1 Crohn's
2 most fruits and vegies especially those with hard skins like peas, corn blueberries etc, anything spicy, ONION, milk, yoghurt, cheese (boohoo!), nuts, runny egg yolk
3 safe foods, bread, root vegies, fish, all meats, soups without onion (therefore home-made only) potatoes in all forms including chips/crisps, small amounts of garlic, green beans, courgette, tomatoes without skins, nut butters and probably most low fibre processed foods although I don't usually eat a lot of processed food and never have, I don't have any issues when I do.
06-06-2015, 01:57 PM   #347
leber
Banned

For me (as I recognized) the unsafe food is the milk. I haven't had any symptom since 2 years. But I can eat everything. I think I'm lucky.
06-11-2015, 08:09 PM   #348
srhbrdsh

Just found out I can't do eggs.

Yes! Me too. I always think it's something else but boy do they ever give me bad gas pains. Has anyone experienced extremely painful gas pains in your back ? I don't know how to help it and I can't breathe while it's happening I can only cry and wait for it to go away.
06-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #349
srhbrdsh

Question to all those who listed unsafe food:
What are the other factors that cause your flare-ups?
Truth is that there is NO proof that any food alone causes the flare-up.
But if your intestines are already damaged from past flare-ups then it is possible for some food to cause problems. Not because of the food itself but because your intestines are unable to absorb certain foods. Also things like tomatoes will surely cause pain to already damaged intestines because of their acidity.

My question is: do you think any food causes you problems WHEN you are perfectly healthy? (with completely healed intestines)
Problem is that most of the people, even when they are feeling better, have some degree of damage from past flare-ups.

I would especially like to hear from those who have undergone resection (as myself) and whose intestines are now completely healed. (I have Crohn's)
I have tried many different food after the operations and have not had even the slightest problems. Doctors also say: "Eat everything". (I still avoid certain foods just in case)
So I think it's hardly a food that causes or triggers the disease. (this probably also explains so many differences in people's diets)
Would like to hear your thoughts on this.

Thanks
I strongly feel this way. There are some days I can eat whatever I want and only several days later I can't eat that food anymore whether it was a vegetable, fruit, a burger or a glass of milk. I was just recently diagnosed with crohns so I am still learning I've started a food journal. But i can't seem to find any pattern with the same foods. I work as a barista. And I love coffee.. I thought I was doing good at first and was able to still drink caffeine but recently I switched to decaf as I have noticed way less pain.
06-11-2015, 08:56 PM   #350
srhbrdsh

1- Crohns

2-Any Alcohol, but specifically anything Hoppy (Sierra Nevada is the WORST) anything greasy, anything fried, Lettuce and raw veggies.

3- Normally, just stay away from the above, but am in a bad flare up right now, so quite honestly am trying to starve myself because anything makes the pain really really bad.
I feel this way too like nothing I eat will stay inside of me. But the hunger pains make me feel weak and nauseous so I'm totally useless those days where I can't eat anything.
06-19-2015, 05:15 AM   #351
ladysybil

Fantastic thread!

1. Crohns

2. Any red meat, oranges, all seeds, all nuts, a lot of raw veggies, bread of any kind, raw onions, spiced cured meats like salami, chorizo etc, cream, smoked salmon, wholemeal anything, brown rice, fizzy drinks, crisps (whether its Doritos or Walkers), beer, yeast-y things

3. Chicken, potatoes, cheeses, yoghurts, eggs, pitta bread, wraps (tortillas etc), most fish, white rice, cucumber, rice cakes, vodka, strangely McDonalds chicken nuggets, chicken noodle soup, Rich Tea biscuits and Digestive biscuits (like graham crackers in the US?)

The list is constantly changing though!
I've been living off rich teas, well dunked, this week!
06-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #352
WingedVictory
Banned

Am I the only one that finds this thread a bit nonsensical? Where's the correlation and the science?

It's like most people are responding just to "join the party". Providing absolutely zero insight and analysis. Illogical, carelessly slopped together posts are just a waste of occupied bytes on a server hard drive.

People need to know the detailed scientific research on why foods are aggravating their condition. For this they would get more out of reading books like the The Paleo Approach or The Perfect Health Diet.

Someone should lock this sucker up and remove the sticky.

Just my 2c.
06-29-2015, 06:51 PM   #353
teeny5

My Support Groups:
Am I the only one that finds this thread a bit nonsensical? Where's the correlation and the science?

It's like most people are responding just to "join the party". Providing absolutely zero insight and analysis. Illogical, carelessly slopped together posts are just a waste of occupied bytes on a server hard drive.

People need to know the detailed scientific research on why foods are aggravating their condition. For this they would get more out of reading books like the The Paleo Approach or The Perfect Health Diet.

Someone should lock this sucker up and remove the sticky.

Just my 2c.
I think the point is to show how different we all are, yet there are still foods that are generally irritating.

For me it's interesting that a safe food for someone could be a definite no, no for me. No diet book on this planet can explain that. I have no idea why beef was totally fine for me prior to Crohn's and now is iffy. I use to eat salads for lunch everyday...not anymore with Crohn's. Yet refried beans I can eat anytime. I could go on and on. All those diet books encourage eating things that I can't tolerate or make my symptoms worse.

I think you just "joined the party" you found to be so illogical and carelessly thrown together. When I first was diagnosed these posts meant a lot. No one should be told basically that their post is crap or meaningless. Don't read it if you don't like it.

Previous meds: Sulfasalazine, Asacol, Rowasa, Pentasa, Entocort.

"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson"
06-30-2015, 03:17 AM   #354
Layla

My Support Groups:
I actually thought you were having us on when I read your example of science, Paleo, really?

Please tell me you were joking, if not, I'm sorry we aren't all interested in exactly the same stuff.

06-30-2015, 05:31 AM   #355
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
None of the polls on this forum are highly scientific; no thread where one member asks to hear the experiences of others is scientific. Sometimes it helps to get suggestions, sometimes it's interesting to read and compare and contrast. The first post on this thread states the lists aren't scientific. There's a lot more to diet than science. I don't think everyone feels the need to know exactly why things work or don't work, and there is just so much about illness that is unknown, by trying to understand the science of it you could spend so much time trying to do something impossible. Personal experience and opinion isn't worthless, it's just qualitative information rather than quantitative information.
07-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #356
Tabs

My Support Groups:
1) crohn's (perianal disease)

2) processed sugary foods / drinks, fried food, red meat, chicken (this is new), shrimp, caffeine, and alcohol.

3) Tropical fruits, melons, berries, steamed veggies, juiced veggies and fruits, fish, white bread, spelt, hard cheese, kefir, yogurt, flour tortillas, flat bread, humus (small doses are fine), most types of potatoes, etc...

To be honest it is really hard to tell what affects me due to the location of my disease. For example, I don't have a bite of spicy Mexican food and go running to the bathroom and I struggle with high frequency already, so its hard to say a particular food item was the "trigger".

If I have a salad I will most likely see it in my toilet bowl several hours later undigested, so while it didn't hurt going down or cause an immediate reaction I know it didn't digest properly and was probably hard on the gut. That is how I determine if a food is on my avoid list or not. I will say red meats can be painful going down and soda can also cause a lot of discomfort.

Anyone else have a hard time determining how to categorize their good and bad foods?
07-14-2015, 11:59 PM   #357
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I had honey maple turkey, eggs, brown rice and olives tonight along with organic pop tarts. I am having a bad night and wondering which of these foods might have set it off?

08-09-2015, 11:25 AM   #358
Charlotte.

My Support Groups:
1. Crohn's

2. NUTS (I ate a handful yesterday - I know that was a bad idea - and since then I'm running to the bathroom and my terminal ileum is cramping and visible from the outside), lactose, any fruit (except avocado), vinegar, grains (flour, whole grain, porridge, muesli), raw vegetables, salad, spinach, kale, legumes

3. Mashed potatoes, potato puree, pumpkin puree, carrot puree, soy drink, tea and water, anything else really hurts

Stelara; Uceris; Lansoprazole; Domperidone.

Previously: Remicade, Humira, Simponi, Azathioprine, Methotrexate, Sulfasalazine, Entocort, Uceris, Prednisolone, TPN, EEN, different alternative treatments.
09-23-2015, 08:36 AM   #359
cdnrose

My Support Groups:
I've just really started to pay attention to what I'm eating. I am lactose intolerant so most dairy food is a given irritant.

1. Crohns
2. apples, spicy food, fresh pork, canned soups, leeks and for some reason most left overs that are reheated (chicken, veggies, homemade soups/chili)
3. Hard cheese, eggs, tea, bananas, bagels, mashed potatoes. Still working on this like cause it's looking a wee bit thin...
09-24-2015, 05:58 PM   #360
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Lately, I have been enjoying coconut water. I accidentally got some with pulp. Does pulp bother any of you?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your SAFE and UNSAFE foods?