Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your SAFE and UNSAFE foods?

09-27-2011, 07:42 PM   #91
Loriebird

My Support Groups:
CD

Safe:

Chicken and other meats
Avocado
Lactose-free milk
Peaches
Oats
Eggs
Rice/Pasta

Unsafe:

Soy
Milk
Soda
Alcohol
Tobacco
Wheat
Blackberries (and most other acidic fruits)
Popcorn
Junk food (potato chips, etc)
10-02-2011, 07:01 AM   #92
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
No veggies at all, no meats( too fibrous) mostly I live on carbohydrates and cheese with loads of supplements. I don't have meals, I 'graze'. Tiny quantities often.
Very grateful for this link as I was beginning to think that I was abnormal...having said that I spoke to someone with Crohns recently who has to be fed through a tube in her stomach. She can't eat at all!

I'd love a nice juicy steak...so sad
10-04-2011, 05:28 PM   #93
sashaz

Hi

1) cd
2) unsafe. Onions raw, diary (anything), tomatoe, spices, oil or fried food, garlic, long pasta (strange as penne or small pasta is ok), emulsifier of any kind, nuts, hp sauce, picallili and coffee. Pain comes with potatoe (not a few oven chips but baked and roasted potatoes) underdestroyed veggies and brown bread.

3)safe white bread, white rice (not every day), ham, banana, caffeine free tea, low fat bacon, chicken, pork, tomato ketchup, eggs, tuna and mixed veg (frozen)

Much i am unsure of as my guts reactions have changed recently.
10-04-2011, 05:32 PM   #94
sashaz

hey guys iv had crohns for 3 years and i cannot figure out whats effecting me? did you all have specific diets to figure out whats effecting you then cancel it out.... my cramps and that come at night and i can never decide on specific foods i should and should not eat?

Help...
Try an iphone program myallergies. Do it religiously for a few weeks and it may give you an idea as it helps to keep a food and reaction diary.
10-09-2011, 09:07 PM   #95
kenyasolovely

1. Crohns
2. UNSAFE: Pizza, Popcorn, Chicken, Cucumbers (unless I pull of rind), Tomatoes, Fatty Foods, and I'm still testing others.,
2. SAFE: Spicy foods, Grits/Cream of Wheat, Potatoes, Rice, Fish, Soup, Herbal Teas, Cheese, Yogurt
Considering/Trying Alternative Therapy
Mom to TWO great kids, J is 16 and S is 14
10-10-2011, 10:22 PM   #96
zilla7777

My Support Groups:
Crohn's

Unsafe: Potato (hot chips, crisps and other forms), undercooked or raw vegetables, popcorn, pizza, orange juice, multigrain bread, museli bars, cereals, black pepper, soft drinks, energy drinks, sausages, beef, lamb chops, pineapple (fresh, not sure about canned) most skin-on fruits, chilli, fast food, ice cream, hard caramel.

Safe: White rice, Grilled chicken, Pancakes, ham, short cut bacon, well boiled vegetables, yogurt, apple juice, cheaper wholemeal bread (less fibre maybe?), Rice bubbles (krispies), eggs, occasionally plain corn chips, banana, cordials, Jatz Clix or Ritz biscuits (if you have them where you guys are,) very small amounts of milk chocolate, peeled sweet varieties of apples, occasionally noodles (such as mi goreng).

I can add more to this list as I try things, but should I post a new list so it doesn't get missed on the total or edit this one?
10-17-2011, 12:55 PM   #97
Shay

1: Crohns

2: Mexican, Indian, Chinese, and Thai food! [all my favorites :-/]

3: Seafood seems to be the best!
10-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #98
Pure_xl_ence

1. Crohns

2. Mahi Mahi, Thick Flour Tortillas, Overprocessed lunchmeats (esp the fake Subway lunchmeat) Thick pasta (penne), black beans, lamb, doritos/nachos, wheat crackers, seaweed (sushi), whole grain cereals, Sugary Alcoholic Drinks (I drink a liquor & gingerale or tonic instead of juices/liquers).

3. Rice milk, salmon, canned tuna & chicken, salad mix (the dark green leafy types), crabs (popular in my state), carrots, rice cakes, turkey bacon & turkey sausage, non-whole grain waffles, fresh tomatoes, bananas, gingerale, mashed potatoes (gets me through flares), avocado, grits

I moderate with popcorn, shrimp, and chocolate. Most readings advise against carbonated beverages but for me gingerale helps me "burp" trapped/excess gas up. I wish there was a cure or MUTE button for the bowel sounds caused by air moving through my system. During the bouts when it happens, people usually assume I'm hungry and my stomach is growling. It gets pretty annoying.
10-19-2011, 04:05 AM   #99
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
What amazes me when I read this thread is how many foods listed as safe on other's lists are so unsafe for me! Popcorn for instance has me rushing to the loo within minutes...even though I have an ileostomy, unsafe foods create chaos that sometimes even the pouch cannot contain! Tinned fish , if eaten with toast doesn't cause too many problems but anything carbonated ferments whatever is waiting to be released...
I guess a lot of the differences are caused by the amount of bowel left and the state of mind. My GI tells me that I also have IBS as well as Crohns so I have to try to be very calm, not easy when you feel the onset of an 'incident' begin whilst out.
I was very embarrassed recently when I was unable to use the disabled loo and after emptying my bag in the regular toilets, someone using the handbasins said loudly' God, what a dreadful smell'. I hid in the loo until I hoped they'd left. I always carry a small air freshener now.
Such a relief to be able to share without embarrassment!
10-19-2011, 02:35 PM   #100
Pure_xl_ence

Paddy this disease is so complex and weird right? I mean with most illnesses, you can narrow causes/triggers down to a few variables and that makes it easy to avoid. But with this disease, there is no "general" pattern to follow...even for your own body! Some months a particular food is fine then few months later it's the near death of you. People try to ask me what triggers it, I ask them to take a seat and get comfortable LOL

You are right in finding comfort with fellow crohnies. I felt so isolated then happened to find out that 2 of my coworkers had it, I felt so relieved I almost wanted to cry. It's like a struggle no one else can relate to but us.
10-19-2011, 04:38 PM   #101
lumberjack

1) Crohn's
2) Unsafe- coffee, fast food, processed food, white bread, dairy, anything fried
3) Safe - oatmeal,bananas, brown rice, steamed vegetables, salmon
10-23-2011, 10:36 AM   #102
RussianBlue

1. Crohn's Disease

2. UNSAFE FOODS:

Dairy;
Wheat;
Sugar;
Caffeine;
Fermented foods - cheese, yoghurt, yeasts, sourdough, vinegar, alcohol, tea;
Acidic/sour tasting foods - tomatoes, citrus fruit, berries, grapes, unripe fruit;
Gas forming foods - onions, cabbages, beans, soy, nuts;
Raw carrots;
Corn;
Millet;
Anything with Citric acid;
Anything with Sulphites;
Spicy foods;
ENSURE.

3. SAFE FOODS:

Gluten-free oats;
White basmati rice;
Eggs;
Chicken;
Fish;
Beef;
Quinoa;
Buckwheat;
Most cooked vegetables - carrots, butternut, zucchini, spinach, green beans;
Salad greens - lettuce, cucumber, yellow peppers;
Sweet ripe fruit - banana, papaya;
Pears;
Chamomile tea;
Decaffeinated green tea.

4. When Flaring:

White basmati rice;
White bread;
Butter;
Scrambled eggs;
Steamed chicken;
Beef;
Applesauce.

Supplements:
Omega 3
Vitamin D
Vitamin C
Calcium

Last edited by RussianBlue; 10-28-2011 at 07:11 AM.
10-25-2011, 11:42 AM   #103
Flor

1. Probably Crohns [still running tests]

2. Any leafy green veggie [especially broccoli], whole grains, coffee, beer, whiskey , onions, cucumbers, red meat , bell peppers, fried foods, beans

3. Bananas, cooked carrots, rice, rice-products
10-25-2011, 02:50 PM   #104
summerday

Crohns Disease

Unsafe:
Tomato's and Tomato sauces
Green Leaf / Romaine Lettuce
Pork + Most beef (Especially ground)
Fried Chicken (is the absolute DEVIL)
Dairy (Especially yogurt)
Bell Peppers
Popcorn (yikes!!)
Beans
Kraft Dinner

Safe:
Chicken (I only really roast or cook breasts)
Breads + cakes
Cereals
Lunch meat
Canned fruit
Chips
Potatos
Rice
Canned tuna
Pasta (except with red sauce)
Frozen veggies (even corn)

I dont always follow my lists... if I am feeling ok I eat everything I want in moderation.
10-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #105
AbdoAlien

1. crohn's
2. Anything with sugar, lactose or gluten in it, anything processed or deep fried...don't eat out or by anything pre-made or packaged
3. Anything fresh, fresh veggies & fruit (not in a container) also all meats except pork, pastas as long as rice based or corn based...I make all my own sauces, etc as well...if I want a coffee HAS to be Decaf & only small amount..I can still have curry if it's mild & gluten free
10-27-2011, 11:22 PM   #106
Slugger

I really don't have many unsafe foods per se. The one thing I do know is anything with titanium dioxide is going to send me over the edge. I notice a lot of people can't eat "processed food". That may be T.D. I encourage people to check the ingredients of foods that cause them problems and look for this additive.

Slugger
10-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #107
superbloop

Can't eat white flour based foods, most meats. They make me constipated. Brown bread and cooked veggies is fine. Can have butter but not other dairy products as they give me fissures. Chocolate is a nono. And sugary foods in moderation are fine. Ensure CONSTIPATES me. So bad that I had to go to the hospital on several occasions because of it.
11-04-2011, 08:02 PM   #108
snowchic

My Support Groups:
1. Crohn's
2. Red Meat, Broccoli, Garlic or any traces of it (Causes major excruciating pain),
caffeine, spicy foods, oleic oil, any new food that my body has never had
3. Anything else.

Onset of Crohn's before being put on Remicade, when in flare, I could only eat potatoes, mashed or as a soup, plain oatmeal, nothing else.

Current Crohn's Med: Cimzia
Current Pain Med: Tramadol - switching to MM
Current Supplements: Juice Plus, Colostrum, Vitamin D
11-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #109
Pure_xl_ence

snowchic yea mashed potatoes became my best friend last year before i started my Humira..mainly b/c it was the only thing i could keep down!!!! but i still love them now i guess from having ate them so much lol
11-07-2011, 06:19 PM   #110
snowchic

My Support Groups:
I hear ya, Pure xl ence! Where in Maryland are you? I was born and raised in Wheaton.
11-10-2011, 11:25 AM   #111
Pure_xl_ence

I'm in Baltimore/Parkville
11-10-2011, 11:40 AM   #112
snowchic

My Support Groups:
Love the Harbor!
11-10-2011, 12:02 PM   #113
Pure_xl_ence

You know if I ever move from here I will surely miss the crabs! I can't imagine life without seafood lol
11-10-2011, 12:12 PM   #114
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Safe food: Porridge

Unsafe and never eat: Hot dogs. Acts like a intestinal plug!
11-10-2011, 12:13 PM   #115
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

You know if I ever move from here I will surely miss the crabs!
That could be tmi just kidding couldn't resist.
11-10-2011, 12:59 PM   #116
snowchic

My Support Groups:
That could be tmi just kidding couldn't resist.
lol! Yeah, that is something I definitely miss, nothing like Maryland blues!
11-15-2011, 04:51 PM   #117
jack_t_barrowman

1. Crohn's disease

2. Unsafe - Sweetcorn, apples (really upset my stomach), artifical sweetners (again, really upset my stomach), soya milk, anything really spicy

3. Safe - Pasta, vegetables (including carrots, sweet potatoes, peas and potatoes), oranges
11-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #118
LuckySeven

1. Crohn's

2. PORK [(I make an exception for bacon.) mmmhhhhmmm bacon!!], chinese food, McDonalds, Thai food, nutella, high fiber cereal or bars, artificial sweatners, cola, RED BULL, cold cut meat

3. ALL fruits and veggies, chicken, rice, fish, maple syrup, bread, dairy products.

I love eating CLIFF bars http://www.clifbar.com/ they are wonderful when I need something quick.
12-15-2011, 07:50 PM   #119
Gsto86

1. CD

2. whole milk, yogurt, coffee, soda, orange juice, oranges, grapefruit, plums, apples, pears, basically everything except watermelon and strawberries for some reason, baked beans, chili :'(, ice cream, nuts, brown rice, too much butter, corn, popcorn, tortilla chips, raw broccoli and cucumber!!, too much garlic, salads, fatty hamburger and fried food, marinara sauce, creamy soups, buffalo sauce, spicy foods in general :'(, ALCOHOL.

3. chicken broth is a life saver when I can't stomach anything else, turkey, steak but only really good fillets, or super soft roast beef, sushi (tuna rolls!) and all cooked fish, mashed potatoes, ramen, cooked spinach, well cooked soft string beans, sweet potatoes and carrots, black pepper in moderation, white rice, olive oil, cheese in moderation.
when I'm in remission small amounts of vegetation like lettuce tomato and onion on a sandwich or a little diced celery and onion in chicken or tuna salad doesn't upset anything for me.
12-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #120
Paddy Holmes

My Support Groups:
Pen, just had to write and say I have a picture of Thunder Bay hanging in my home. My great grandfather, William Armstrong painted it. My Dad grew up in Ontario...never been but doubt I'll get the chance now.Travelling is very difficult...
Something I've picked up on is that no one has mentioned Sorbitol. It's an ingredient in diet drinks which latches onto fatty cells and slides them right out. It was originally intended to help weight loss. So beware all Diet drinks, check the labels!!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your SAFE and UNSAFE foods?