Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your SAFE and UNSAFE foods?

04-11-2013, 02:35 AM   #241
NatalieM

My Support Groups:
1. Crohns disease
2.NO NO's During Flare:EVERYTHING. Otherwise, ALL Refined sugar products(which I constantly crave), grainy bread, fried food, carbonated beverages, delicious Leafy greens (cringe*), caffeine, beef, acidic food. Water
3. SafeUsually; White rice. White breads. Instant mac &cheese. Yogurt. Organic White meat. Fish. herbal tea, crystallized ginger, cabbage(helps loosen backed up painful gas)
04-11-2013, 06:29 AM   #242
Pure_xl_ence

Natalie M, you can't tolerate cooked leafy greens either?
04-17-2013, 10:02 PM   #243
hbrekkaas

My Support Groups:
1 - Crohns

Never Eat Foods: Rice, oats, corn, gluten, dairy, nuts, vegetable oil. Those were "never eat foods" before finding out I had Crohns, because they caused issues.

Not During Flare: All the above, plus things with sugar (except gummy bears) or caffiene. Greasy foods.

Safe Foods: Meats, fruits. Cooked veggies. Potatoes, soy sauce. Not sure about veggies, I havne't come out of this flare (newly diagnosed) to test them yet.
05-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #244
Janis

1. Crohn's
2. Red Meat, Pork, no legumes, raw vegetables, tomatoes (sauce, juice, fresh, canned, soup, all), onions, all nuts & seeds, fresh apples, pears, all citrus fruits & juices. green & purple grapes, blueberries, raspberries - anything that contains seeds. White or whole wheat pasta, anything with gluten, spicy foods caffeine & alcohol. No salad of any kinds, no dairy.
3. Bananas, cantaloupe, mango, watermelon, any melon. rice & rice pasta, sweet potato, gluten free breads. cooked carrots, steamed peas, asparagus, green & yellow beans, zucchini. apple sauce, canned pears & peaches in water. tea (within moderation), peppermint tea. Soy, almond & coconut milk. lactose free milk. Water, lots of water.
05-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #245
mccindy

My Support Groups:
1. Undiagnosed

2. Raw vegetables, most raw fruit, red meat, gluten (white or wheat), nuts, alcohol, sugar, chocolate, caffeine, carbonated beverages, spicy foods, bacon, dairy and soy.

3. Bananas, mangoes, skinless chicken, seafood, fish, white rice, sweet potatoes (baked, no skin), canned vegetables (blech), well-cooked zucchini or carrots, apple sauce, canned skinless fruit, almond milk, coconut milk, coconut oil, olive oil, eggs, homemade yogurt, kefir milk. gluten-free bread products.

I have not yet tried regular potatoes cooked, I'm kinda scared to, since every "experiment" I try ends in pain.

current diagnosis is undiagnosed (possible Celiac disease)

Colonoscopy done August 2013, no evidence of Crohn's seen, biopsies done and one polyp removed.
Polyp is precancerous adenoma

(Diagnosed with a diffuse astrocytoma (brain tumor) 5/31/13.
Craniotomy with tumor resection performed July 2013. 99% of WHO grade II diffuse astrocytoma removed, MRI scheduled every 6 months to monitor for regrowth.)
05-28-2013, 01:09 AM   #246
AussieChick

My Support Groups:
1. Crohn's Disease
2. Coffee, Chocolate , spicy food, oily foods/deep fried, milk
3. White bread, white pasta, chicken, meat, eggs and I have no idea how but I seem to be fine with chinese food!!!

Still trying to figure it all out

Crohn's you're an ASS!!!
Current Meds
Imuran 50mg
Allopurinol 100mg
Humira

Finally off Pred wooo

DIAGNOSED 27TH FEBRUARY 2013
05-28-2013, 07:04 PM   #247
Traumanurse

My Support Groups:
1. Crohns Disease
2. Safe foods: Low residue bland foods such as potatoes, rice, eggs, chicken, some canned veggies, white bread, broths, coffee
3. Absolute Nos: Water, juice, pop, anything spicy, fresh fruits and veggies, ice cream and milk products like yogurt (except cheese), and salads of course and any leafy greens
06-12-2013, 10:58 PM   #248
723crossroads
Banned

My Support Groups:
1. crohn's
2. I can eat almost all cooked well meats, especially chicken breast. No spicy sauces though. Rice is good and soft cooked carrots and potaoes and greenbeans and peas.Squash is fine. No beans of any kind, or nuts. Popcorn is bad, but I sneak and pay the price!!!Avoid tomato sauce of any kind, juice etc... Sometimes salads are ok and other times, a nono! Right thru me. The more natural I cook and least spicy the better for my gut. Fruits I avoid, except mellons and occasional grapes and bananas are fine too.
06-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #249
CronoMush

Traumanurse, what? No water? Really?
06-13-2013, 08:02 AM   #250
mccindy

My Support Groups:
traumanurse, what happens with water? How do you avoid dehydration? Interesting that you can tolerate cheese - is that just aged and lactose-free cheese, or any cheese?
06-13-2013, 09:47 AM   #251
Traumanurse

My Support Groups:
I know, weird huh? No water for 12 years now. Causes immediate pain in my upper gastro system, and eventually bleeding up there.

The only two things I'm left to drink is soft cold green teas, and even some coffee.

It really is tough fighting off dehydration at times though.
06-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #252
mccindy

My Support Groups:
that is really interesting. Is it just tapwater, or all water? Just straight water, so it doesn't bother when used to make things like tea or coffee? That must really be a struggle, especially sometimes when a person is thirsty and just wants a drink of water!
06-13-2013, 02:25 PM   #253
The Real MC

My Support Groups:
1) Crohns

2) Unsafe foods: fried/greasy foods, anything spicier than tabasco, strong coffee, some processed meats, GMO foods and additives*

3) Safe foods: unprocessed meats, fish, and poultry, H2O, juice, tea, coffee (if =I= brew it), dairy products**, fruits and other desserts, whole grains, white grains, wheats, no problems to date with vegetables raw or cooked***.

*Since my resectional, I modified my diet to remove GMO foods and additives such as transfats and high frutose corn syrups. Many national restaurant chains serve this crap (I read the ingredients of a bottle of "butter flavoring" and was shocked) and I often experience problems with them. Cooking at home is safest!

You can learn a LOT about safe foods by studying the ingredients on foods in the grocery store - you would be amazed how much garbage is in grocery stores these days!!!

**butter is safe with the "right" bread.

***most salad dressings are loaded with fats, I prefer oil and balsamac vinegar. But many balsamac vinegars are actually not true balsamac vinegar and only the real stuff is safe for my system. Few restaurants serve the real stuff.
06-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #254
Kumo

1. If you have Crohn's, UC, or some other form of IBD
Crohn's.

2. A list of foods you KNOW (not just theorize) are unsafe for you.
- Deep fried anything
- Caffeine
- Pop
- Dairy, especially cream
- Bananas
- During a flare-up, everything.

3. A list of foods you KNOW (not just theorize) are safe for you.
- Veggies, salads
- I don't know what else
07-05-2013, 02:41 AM   #255
myajde84

1. Crohn's
2. White bread, spicy, fried and raw food, coffee, alcohol, beans
3.chicken, rice, fruits, green tea, little butter and cheese
07-08-2013, 07:58 PM   #256
Fi'sMom

My Support Groups:
I know this thread is like 2 years old, but its such a good topic, so I wanted to respond!

1. Crohn's Disease

2. Unsafe Foods (known): seeds, nuts, tomato sauce, veggies (carrots, corn, lettuces, onions broccoli, green beans, peppers, cucumbers), mushrooms, raisins, pickles, potato skin, most fried foods (definitely fried chicken), anything really greasy, mushrooms, iced coffee, popcorn, hash browns, spicy foods (those in the hot range...milder stuff is ok).

3. Safe Foods (known): almost all breads (unless they contain the above ingredients), diary products (no known issues overall), cereal, crackers, pretzels, Poptarts (Smores and Cinnamon), Ramen, chicken, beef, turkey (ok as lunchmeat too), bacon (if blotted really well).

Sometimes I eat the unsafe foods and deal with the pain and bathroom issues...I never realized how much I loved lettuce and hot sauce until I got sick!
07-09-2013, 05:29 AM   #257
Vincent311

1. Crohn's disease

2. Deep fried foods, spicy, milk, cheese, avocado and most fruits during flare.

3. I only eat porridge with a bit of soy sauce during flare. When not in flare, most breads, pasta, noodles, veggies cooked, fruits except pineapple lemon mango is safe.
09-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #258
Sophos

My Support Groups:
1. Crohns
2. UNSAFE foods: Carbonated drinks, carrageenan (found in dairy products), orange/lemon juice, corn, raw/hard fruits and veggies like pickles, peaches, apples, grapes etc., tomato sauce, anything spicy, popcorn, dark chocolate, coffee, energy drinks, greasy foods, I've never drank alcohol but I'm sure it belongs on this list
3. SAFE foods: soft lettuce, dairy (surprisingly!), bananas, white breads, rice, grilled/baked meats (chicken > beef), boiled fish, fruit sauces, sports drinks, peach juice, soup

Thinking about getting a juicer so I can get more fresh fruits&veggies in my diet instead of sticking to the canned variety.
09-03-2013, 06:59 AM   #259
Ray6007

Crohn's - recently diagnosed so i've been too afarid too try too much just yet.

1. Bad foods - fried foods, dairy, spicy foods
2. Good foods - rice, chicken, cooked potatoes(no skin), fish, avocado, bananas, meat balls, decaf coffee, tea,

My list of bad foods is not too long as i have taken heed of most of what others have listed and kept away from this for now. Given more time, i will venture and be brave to try other foods but would prefer not having to deal with flares! It's not a pleasant experience at work. I want to try vegan cheese to see whether this will cause a reaction.

Thanks David for this, it is really useful.
09-18-2013, 02:07 AM   #260
TestTyrone

Crohns

Unsafe: dairy, spicy foods, oily foods(but ok on occasion)

Safe: fruit, veggies, most meats, rice, pasta
09-18-2013, 07:20 AM   #261
M2M

My Support Groups:
an idea Sophos ~ I did read where canned vegetables have more in them to preserve. So you should be trying to buy frozen bags of vegetables if you can. They are healthier.
Ray6007 ~ you may have noticed that most people have corn listed too. My daughter avoids corn (sweet corn), frozen corn or corn on the cob. No popcorn either b/c of the kernals. Since you are kind of new, I wanted to chirp in on a few things.
Right now we are trying to test out some gluten free products for her too. Just because wheat, flour etc do have flammatory tendancies to them.
good luck
09-19-2013, 05:42 AM   #262
KillSodium

1. Crohn's (Diagnosed a month ago)
2. Anything with high SODIUM! Dale's Seasoning is what triggered me to have Flareups, stomach pain, etc! 2,500mg of sodium! I never had any pain until I went to a BBQ and ate a steak that was seasoned with Dale's Seasoning. Other causes include IBPROFEN, Tylenol, and Mesalamine. I'm fighting this without drugs as it gives me pain.
3. I can tolerate any food although spicy foods give me minor flares. Alcohol, ok. Ice cream, ok.
09-29-2013, 10:03 PM   #263
RosaleeMae
Banned

My Support Groups:
My safe foods are, chicken baked or crockpot cooked and also steamed. Rice, noodles, bread and butter, eggs cooked soft and potatoes cooked either biled or cut up and put in casserole dish with some butter and microwave till done.. Vegetables cooked well and not beans though.So many things give me gassousness though.

Unsafe foods for me are, Fried foods, sauce for spaghetti and chili and tacos.
Anything spicy at all. Sometimes beef and gravy, not always. Chocolate
10-16-2013, 04:16 AM   #264
Amaze

My Support Groups:
For some reason apple peels and tomatoes ruin me. I can have ketchup and eat a peeled apple for some odd reason
10-16-2013, 08:09 AM   #265
mccindy

My Support Groups:
just dropping in to say, I miss bread SO much. I had something with gluten hidden inside it (sweet potato fries for god's sake) and it about killed me. so I think that that will obviously never change as it's been at least six months since I've been able to eat anything with gluten in it. Sometimes I get a maddening urge to just eat a doughnut! Darn it.
11-28-2013, 05:39 AM   #266
Holly95

I don't have any safe foods right now that I know of. Eggs and white bread and potatoes were my safe foods but even they arent working at the moment :-(

However, I can not eat anything containing canola oil. Absolutely huge no no. That also whips out vegetable oil since it can contain hidden canola oil. So anything containing either canola or vegetable oil is off my eating list.
Anything deep fried, or spicy is also way off my list.
Sugar is iffy, I can tolerate a little of it but I certainly know when ive had too much

Meds Started:
Prednisone 40mg taper - finished 26/11/2013
Pentasa 4g (8 tablets) - taken off me 14/02/2014
11-28-2013, 05:43 AM   #267
Holly95

Mccindy, why not have a go at making your own gluten free donuts :-) my nana has coeliac and she's also allergic to a long list of food, and she still enjoys all her favorite things she just has to make them herself and modify the recipe.
I made a really nice gluten and dairy free load of bread yesterday, but even that set me off into cramps and nausea so I'm not sure what's going on there cause there was definitely no cross contamination. Food just hates me in general I think :-(
11-29-2013, 09:06 AM   #268
mccindy

My Support Groups:
That's an interesting idea, I hadn't thought of it! I also heard there's a new bakery in town that has some gluten-free products, so I want to check that out for sure.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such trouble. I've been doing okay lately but turkey day gave me a fit since I had too much sugar and that is a good way to cause myself some pain.
12-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #269
HorseLover!!

My Support Groups:
Unsafe: anything spicy, fried foods, red meat, eggs, milk, some cheeses, rice, white bread, coffee, most fruits, most veggies, pasta, garlic, fish, soup, noodles, nuts, corn, tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes and much more.

Safe: chicken, brown bread, tea, juice, water, crackers, porridge, almond milk, cakes, chocolate, yoghurts, fruits that are ok: strawberries, raspberries and blueberries. vegetables that are ok: carrots, cucumber and peas.

Had my first Colonoscopy and Endoscopy at age 2 1/2 years old

Diagnosed with Crohn's in 1998 when I turned 3

19 Years and counting with Crohn's!

Previous: Prednisolone and Pentasa slow release, Had tube feeding at age 3, Azathioprine

Currently in a flare but not taking any medication because doctor hasn't bothered to prescribe anything

My HORSE is not just a HORSE, he is my SANITY, my HAPPINESS, my THERAPIST and my BEST FRIEND

12-20-2013, 11:28 AM   #270
empressentrails

My Support Groups:
1. Crohn's Disease
2. UNSAFE- Cilantro (makes me violently ill and vomit every time), Peanut butter (sometimes is ok but other times makes me vomit), Salad/lettuce, All meats/flesh foods, Popcorn, Fruits with seeds such as grapes, Coffee/Chocolate/Caffeine
3. Safe- Cooked vegetables, Soft fruits without skin, Cheese, Eggs, Rice, Oatmeal

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » What are your SAFE and UNSAFE foods?