Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Experiences with Asacol?

04-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #1
Noelia

Experiences with Asacol?

I know everyone's experiences are different and Asacol is a pretty mild drug in the scheme of things, but I was hoping folks who have taken it would chime in with their reactions to it.

I have heard it can cause mineral deficiencies and the like and want to be prepared for that sort of thing just in case.

Thanks!
05-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #2
saltimbanc0

Initially i was on it for a long time with no adverse reactions. I cant say whether it was effective on its own as administered with pred and azathioprine. I know it is thought much more effective for UC and less so for Crohns.

I would say it can be very effective and is low on the sides - i dont know of anyone whos had a bad reaction to it presumably because its a milder thing than say an immunosupressant or steroid.

Are you taking it orally - there are different preps depending on how its bound so that it targets different areas of the bowel and also then there are direct applications like enemas.

I took mesalazine 2g twice daily btw.
05-02-2011, 04:05 PM   #3
Joleen23

My Support Groups:
I was on it from Nov 2010 till Feb 2011, had no problems with it , found it worked quite well for the first 2 months , then after that it lost it affectivness for some reason. I was on Pred as well that whole time. When i was admitted to hospital whilst i was on asacol my folic acid was low and i was put on tablets but i couldn't say wether that was due to the Asacol or the fact that i had bad D as i was in quite a bad flare. Im now on Imuran and Pred.

Methotrexate 20mg per week
Omeprazole 40mg per day
Ferrous sulphate 3 x tablet per day
Folic Acid 1 per day (5 days a week)
Ranitidine
(trammadol & Paraccetamol for painrelief

Diagnosed Nov 2010 - Crohns Colitis
(bowel problems since 16yrs) 29 Yrs old now
So far tried Asacol,Aza,6mp,Remicade
05-13-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
myriahdawn

My Support Groups:
I just started taking it.... 800mg TID. I will let you know how it goes. So far some mild cramping only. Did your doc tell you what times to take it?

Crohn's: Diagnosed 4/2011 (Ileum & Colon)
Med: Humira
Vitamins: fish oil, vitamin D, B12 & a multi-vitamin
Surgeries: 2012-2013: Ano-rectal fistula repair & repair again & etc.... 7/10/14 - got a plug/flap combo!!!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » 5-ASA/Mesalamine » Experiences with Asacol?