• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Info

Hi I'm 29 and was just diagnosed with crohns a couple of months ago after going in to the hospital for the second time. I know its not as bad as alot of people, but was looking for some advice and info. Ok heres the story I dont make alot of money and have pretty good medical coverage but going in to all these Dr visits has put me in a big hole. I cant afford my medicine (which didnt seem to do to much) Pentasa and Entocort and cant afford to go in for any more test that they want to do. The main thing is that I have been super tired lately all I do is go to work and come home and lay around or take a nap. The tiredness has been affecting my work too. All of this and not feeling good all the time has gotten me pretty depressed. I really dont know to much about how to treat this diet wise, if there is any help with costs, and how to get more energy. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Chance,

You poor thing, having a tough disease on TOP of the stresses of financial difficulties must be terrible. Many *hugs* to you. Nobody should have to go through something like this.

For the energy and depression, have you thought of taking up a low impact form of exercise such as yoga? And how is your diet?

As for the financial woes, I'm not much help there. My finances have taken a pretty big hit in the last year as well.

I wish you all the best and hope to see you around the forum!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Chance! Yes, this is a costly disease. Like you, I have pretty good coverage, but $40 co pay for a doctor visit, $50 co pay for testing, and all my co pays for my meds certainly add up! I really feel for those without insurance! As for your tiredness, have you gotten blood taken recently to be sure all your counts are normal?

I struggle with my diet, too. I have a tough time figuring out what is a "safe" and what is a "no-no" item. I keep a diary of what I eat and do my best to look for patterns. So far, I have learned salad, deli meat, and spicy foods are big "no-no's".

PS - I am originally from NJ, too, around the Six Flags area. My parents are still there. Where are you located?

Hi Chance! I really suffer from low energy too, and unfortunately it affects my job as well. Sorry I don't have any advice. I just wanted you to know you are not alone! It can be pretty hard to deal with all of this sometimes. Hopefully having other people who are going through the same things you are will help you as much as it has helped me. Welcome to the family!

ameslouise

HI Chance and welcome!

I think the fatigue is the most debilitating part of Crohn's - IMO even more than the bathroom visits and accidents! Okay, maybe not the accidents, but it really can impact your life when it feels like all you can do is sleep and work.

There is assistance out there for the "big" drugs like Remicade and Humira. Humira you can get for like $5 a month!

I agree with Jill that you should have your blood tested for anemia and other vitamin deficiencies, especially the B vitamins.

Diet is different from all of us, and we each find the good and bad foods for us individually. But for the most part, a low residue diet (easy to digest) is a good place to start - plain chicken, rice, potatoes, noodles, eggs, etc. Lots of people struggle with dairy.

Good luck - hope you can find some relief, both physically and financially, very soon.

- Amy

PS Ask your doc about sliding scale payments for co-pays.

Hey thanks all for the info!

David- Thanks man yea my has been trying to get me to go to yoga with her for awhile now I think I'm gonna take her up on it and give it a go.

xJillx- I have had a lot of blood work done recently but didnt hear about anything being low. I really hate my doctors tho and am trying to get an appointment at Jefferson as soon as I can. I dont live far from Great Adventure at all lol Im in Hamilton not far from Trenton :)

Nicole- thanks feel a little better knowing other people are having the same issues. My mother and Brother live in Albuquerque I was just out there not to long ago :)

Amy- I def will ask my doctor about the co-pays and the bloodwork. The only thing I know I def cant eat is dairy lol everything else is hit or miss depending on how bad I feel. Thank you for your support!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I go to Jeff! I must be honest, it is a BIG hospital, and I am often less than pleased with how the administration operates. I have had issues with lost records, miss-communication, etc. However, their doctors are extremely knowledgeable, and I am always able to reach my GI directly via email or phone.

Of course, I know Hamilton! Actually, next weekend I will be celebrating my friend's 30th at the Manor. I grew up right around the corner in Millstone near Jackson.

My friend has been in Jefferson for a while he swears by his doctor so im gonna give it a shot he went to Hamilton GI where i go and he hates it also (along with everyone else i tell thats been there). Ahh the Manor my friends go there alot, I go there sometimes I'm only like 5 min away from there hopefully its warm and nice out and they have the terrace open.

Hey Chace I'm from Nj too. In Lawrence Township, near Vineland, not too too far. I go to Universtiy of Penn. and I love love my Doctors there and have had no problems at all there. I go there for everything from my GI appts for my crohns to my hemotology for low blood and just about everything else, so maybe you might want to check them out also. I agree with Amy, check when you go to your new doc about Humira and Remicade, they have great plans for people to pay for their meds. I hope you get things straightened out. Shannon