Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Recommended Books for Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and other forms of IBD

05-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #1
David
Co-Founder

Recommended Books for Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and other forms of IBD

I would like to collect a list of books our members recommend for people afflicted with Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, or other forms of IBD. Please respond to this thread with suggestions for books you have read and found useful. Thank you!

What To Eat With IBD - A comprehensive nutrition and recipe guide for Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis - Author: Tracie Dalessandro - MS, RD, CDN

How To Cook for Crohn's and Colitis - Author: Brenda Roscher

The Paleo Solution
not specifically geared toward IBD obviously, but is extensively researched and referenced and has sections directly applicable to IBDs as well as other autoimmune diseases.
The author also has an excellent podcast that frequently includes discussion on autoimmune diseases, including CD/UC.
05-07-2011, 05:02 PM   #2
itsMeFred

The Paleo Solution
not specifically geared toward IBD obviously, but is extensively researched and referenced and has sections directly applicable to IBDs as well as other autoimmune diseases.
The author also has an excellent podcast that frequently includes discussion on autoimmune diseases, including CD/UC.
05-25-2011, 08:20 AM   #3
guest837

My mum has found 'living with crohn's disease' by Joan Gomez really useful.

Link-http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0859698203/ref=oss_product
05-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #4
Astra

My Support Groups:
'The New eating right for a bad gut - the complete nutritional guide to Ileitis, Colitis, Crohn's disease and Inflammatory Bowel Disease'
by James Scala Ph.D

He is also the author of 'The New Arthritis Relief Diet'

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

06-15-2011, 09:49 PM   #5
toml99

The First Year: Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis by Jill Sklar -- an outstanding book that really helped me. I think Jill's own battle with Crohn's is an important part of why I related so much to the book. I would highly recommend it for someone who is newly diagnosed.
06-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #6
Julie1971

Hi David

I'm a newbie here, but an old hand as a Crohnie having had the disease since I was 15years old. I have actually written a book about my experiences which is available to buy online at www.crohnsdiseaseandbeyond.co.uk. Wrote it as I felt I had experiences to share with other people with IBDs (and their families), and hope it gives people a positive message. Also extremely healing for me to recall it all, and sometimes emotional, but also funny.

Am in the process of reducing the price on the website to 6.99 so members might want to wait a week or so before you check it out. 1 from the proceeds of each book goes to IBD research.

Have had a few reviews - one by Phoenix magazine (the official publication of UOAA). Here are a few quotes from this review
"Using a kind and supporting voice, Julie's work reads much as if you were listening to a friendsharing her stories while occasionally offering little bits of advice"
"Although over 200 pages, it's a fairly quick read thanks to the friendly, conversational style..."
"Reader's will appreciate Julie's sense of humour, as exemplified in the tips she provides to folks faced with using public toilets..."
"Most of all, Julie's ebook is one of hope. Despite the stories of all the struggles she faced as a teenager and young adult, Julie's overall message is ... positive."

Hope you and other forum members find it interesting and helpful.

Also, found "Breaking the Vicious Cycle" by Elaine Gottschall fascinating. Wish I'd found it before I had surgery, but still use some of her dietary tips which help my bowel.

x Julie

Last edited by Julie1971; 06-18-2011 at 11:03 AM. Reason: Additional comments
06-23-2011, 10:26 PM   #7
margie

Hi David,
I haven't been a member for to long, but your forum has been a great help to me.
I am an author/writer of a newly published book that has just come out titled Vicious Circle:Hope For A Brighter Future. This is about my struggles with Crohns and Depression.

I think that most of the members will be able to relate to the struggles that I have gone through every day.

I will be donating a percentage of my profits for every book sold to research for Crohns and Collitis.

Diagnosed with Crohn's Disease 2005
At this time have no GI doc and on no meds.
07-14-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
YvesB

Hi. I just registered. Sharing books is a great idea.

There is one book that I always go back to when a crisis hits me :

"Self Healing Colitis & Crohn's" by David Klein.

As for the long term support, I'vs put my hands on a great book from a french doctor, Dr. Seignalet, but it's in french. I remember reading a blog/web site where someone actually transcribed some of it in english. That doctor is the only one that came up with an explanation of the root cause of the disease and tested it with his patients. He got tremendous results, just by changing what you are eating...but I have to admit, it's not easy to follow.
07-16-2011, 12:44 AM   #9
mayhavecrohn's

My Support Groups:
thank you for posting about the books some of them i have got from the library and been reading them

dont have DX yet but may have DX soon
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/leah.crow1
my fav song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW9zMSwKIdU
07-16-2011, 12:45 AM   #10
mayhavecrohn's

My Support Groups:
and it has helped me to read the books
07-25-2011, 11:18 AM   #11
CrohnsGuy

Jordan Rubin's "Patient Heal Thyself" and Arthur De Vany's "The New Evolution Diet" is a great resource as well.
08-20-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Gastro Girl

"IBD Self-Management The AGA Guide to Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis" by Sunanda V. Kane MD, MSPH. (AGA stands for American Gastroenterological Association)
09-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #13
Jandeacs

I just read this book .. Inflammatory boweel Diesease By Professer John Hunter
it is amazing he is based t Addenbrooks in the UK .. Where the first heart transplant was done ! this book is Amazing it covers all aspects of iBD .. it contains things trhat are so helpful i can t describe . amazing ..
Jan ..
09-05-2011, 02:11 PM   #14
Allystyle

My Support Groups:
The fowl bowel by johnny Bradley is a good read!
09-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #15
rhosymynydd
This member has been approved by an Administrator to post this message.

"Unwanted Baggage" which is for sale on amazon worldwide and Barnes and Noble is the latest resource book available worldwide for ostomy patients.

As figures indicate that 25,000 ostomies are performed annually in the UK alone due to Crohn's and Ulcerative Colitis. This book is essential pre and post ostomy reading. Its 440 page detail covers everything from essential birth control information (the Pill passes straight into the bag/Pouch nullfiying its effects) right down to cruise lines that carry supplies. Emotions become topsy-turvey following the life changing operation and many good suggestions as to when and where to seek professional help are included. This book is for all ostomates by a Crohn's patient, now also an ostomate.
The book has received a great review (double page spread) from the Phoenix, the UOAA's journal.

There is also an updated website that can be found by googling thebowelmovement. It offers regular updates to the book and links to 80 IBD and ostomy associations worldwide. The book is also available at a reduced rate through the website.

A special page for child ostomates includes ostomy puppet adventures on video, more are added at bi-weekly levels. and a free laminated certifcate of Bravery, signed by the ostomy puppet gang, can be posted anywhere in the world for children who undergo surgery.

The ostomy ventriloquist puppets are also available by request from the Phoenix (the journal of the UOAA) who are funding a limited amount.

The Australian Ostomy association through their Queensland offices are also funding the puppets.
09-28-2011, 06:51 AM   #16
rhosymynydd

thank you for posting about the books some of them i have got from the library and been reading them
I am convinced there is a link between fibromyalgia and crohn's disease. 5 close friends who hahve crohn's have also been diagnosed with fibro. It could also be that Crohn's disease does cause many of the same symptoms. I ahve noticed posts on many fibro and crohns logs as well so we can't be the only ones.
10-03-2011, 01:50 AM   #17
MareeThew

The Foul Bowel by John Bradley it is a great book would recommend to any crohns sufferer to read it
10-03-2011, 12:28 PM   #18
happy

My Support Groups:
Beat Crohn's! Getting to Remission with Enteral Nutrition by
Margaret A. Oppenheimer
is a well researched book for people who are interested in a liquid elemental diet as a treatment option. It also discusses various food diets for maintaining remission once you resume eating solid food.

Don't let the cartoon cover put you off--the book is up-to-date and cited with good research.
11-01-2011, 02:22 AM   #19
angelabenting

thank for the post such a big help
11-01-2011, 05:26 AM   #20
rhosymynydd

"unwanted baggage" which is for sale on amazon worldwide and barnes and noble is the latest resource book available worldwide for ostomy patients.

As figures indicate that 25,000 ostomies are performed annually in the uk alone due to crohn's and ulcerative colitis. This book is essential pre and post ostomy reading. Its 440 page detail covers everything from essential birth control information (the pill passes straight into the bag/pouch nullfiying its effects) right down to cruise lines that carry supplies. Emotions become topsy-turvey following the life changing operation and many good suggestions as to when and where to seek professional help are included. This book is for all ostomates by a crohn's patient, now also an ostomate.
The book has received a great review (double page spread) from the phoenix, the uoaa's journal.

There is also an updated website that can be found by googling thebowelmovement. It offers regular updates to the book and links to 80 ibd and ostomy associations worldwide. The book is also available at a reduced rate through the website.

A special page for child ostomates includes ostomy puppet adventures on video, more are added at bi-weekly levels. And a free laminated certifcate of bravery, signed by the ostomy puppet gang, can be posted anywhere in the world for children who undergo surgery.

The ostomy ventriloquist puppets are also available by request from the phoenix (the journal of the uoaa) who are funding a limited amount.

The australian ostomy association through their queensland offices are also funding the puppets.
unwanted baggage is available on amazon.co.uk and is now the 33/100 best selling health resource books in the uk. Recommended by the united ostomy association of america, the australian ostomy assoctions (22), the norwegian ostomy association, all of whom have posted it on their websites or journals. It has also been mentioned in the european federation of crohns and colitis and a copy is in their library. Another copy is in the IBD association in the netherlands. This is not a my story version it is a hands on written by an ostomate after 5 years research. A second edition is being published at the end of january to update all addresses etc. That have changed since publication and include updates in benefits and grants.The contains ostomy related cartoons and carers information. It is now available to order from most UK libraries.
11-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #21
ChattieCathy

Breaking the vicious cycle by Elaine Gottschall was an interesting read. Eating too much white flour is not a good thing. A life of working round the clock, stress and eating mostly sandwiches. Bread, bread, and more bread.
Another was Yeast connection by William G. Crook. My favorite read of all was Gut Solutions by Brenda Watson. Nicely illustrated and easy to read. I couldn't put it down. I have crohns and believe that I may have leaky gut syndrome which causes the additives and preservatives in food to go straight to my joints. Thanks to all for sharing!
11-18-2011, 02:06 PM   #22
suschex
Suzanne

My Support Groups:
Fantastic book!!!!!

"Sick and Tired of Feeling Sick and Tired: Living with Invisible Chronic Illness" by Paul J. Donoghue and Mary E. Siegel

Current Meds
Prednisone
Entyvio

Past Meds
Humira
Lialda
6-MP
Remicade
Etc.......
11-18-2011, 02:23 PM   #23
ChattieCathy

Thank you for Sick and Tired. It's on my read list. I'm just sick and tired of giving up bread, cheese and milk. At the same time I am tired of joints that hurt.
01-01-2012, 08:09 PM   #24
lancek

I have just ordered this book--Beat Crohn's! Getting to Remission with Enteral Nutrition by Margaret A. Oppenheimer and wrote down 2 others from this book list to try to get through my library. This is wonderful to have a list of books to read.
02-20-2012, 09:03 AM   #25
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
I would like to endorse the recommendation earlier in this thread for "Inflammatory Bowel Disease" by Professor John Hunter at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge, England. Get it from Amazon.

He goes carefully into all aspects of the disease, the meds etc and tells the positives and negatives. More importantly he sets out the Addenbrookes approach - principally through a carefully constructed individual diet regime once in remission. We all know that diet is a part of the solution to prolong remissions and avoid some of the scarier drugs (with apologies to those that have already been forced that way) but I for one needed a structured approach.

If I were in England still I would beat a path to his door but here in France they expect to cure everything through drugs and for dietetics I need to do the job myself, so that is what I shall do. I recently dropped out of my remission (blissful 4 months) and low dose Preds plus the diet tips I have picked up will get me back there.
02-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
peaceandsmile

"Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis, EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW, THE COMPLETE PRACTICAL GUIDE" (third edition, updated and expanded)

by Fred Saibil, M.D

Mount Sinai Hospital "Crohn's & Colitis, Understanding and Managing IBD"

Dr. A. Hillary Steinhart -MD, MSc, FRCP(C) Division Head, Gastroenterology

---------------------------------<3

Great book for all IBD patients, it explains everything you need to know from drugs to diet and about the diseases of IBD.

kisses, Aya
Currently on: Pentasa 500mg 2x2, Imuran 50mg 2x1, Ferrograd Folic 2x1, and Albilify 50mg. 1x1
Used: Entocort klizma, Salofalk, Budenfalk, Metypred, Medrol, Imuran, Pentasa, Albilify, Akitferrin, Ferrograd Folic, iron injections, and Risperdal Consta injections

Last edited by peaceandsmile; 02-21-2012 at 12:59 PM.
06-07-2012, 10:54 AM   #27
crunch

I would like to endorse the recommendation earlier in this thread for "Inflammatory Bowel Disease" by Professor John Hunter at Addenbrookes Hospital in Cambridge, England.

If I were in England still I would beat a path to his door .......
Edited

Am beating a path to his door - next month, and I also am liking this book as a laid out approach, though his main treatment is the LOFFLEX diet, which I know some people are resistant to - see what he says next month!
07-24-2012, 09:26 PM   #28
Avw

My Support Groups:
Not sure if anyone's mentioned it yet, I'm currently reading 'Survival of the Sickest' by Dr. Sharon Moalem with Jonathan Prince... While not strictly about Crohn's or IBD, it discusses in detail the Vitamin D deficiency correlation with Crohn's. A very interesting and informative read, I highly recommend it.

Previous Medications:
Every oral medication,
Remicade,
Humira,
Cimzia, etc..

Currently Taking:
LDN 3 mg
VSL #3
Prednisone 10 mg
Flagyl 1000 mg
Entocort
Protonix
Xanax as needed

Insurance still rejecting appeals for Stem Cell Transplant. Tested positive for JCV Antibody so Tysabri is not an option. Searching for matches in Cord Blood Registry and working with an attorney to fight insurance company. Fingers and toes crossed!
08-31-2012, 11:25 PM   #29
SkinnyNinny

'The New eating right for a bad gut - the complete nutritional guide to Ileitis, Colitis, Crohn's disease and Inflammatory Bowel Disease'
by James Scala Ph.D

He is also the author of 'The New Arthritis Relief Diet'
You don't say whether you like this book, however I'm guessing you recommend it?

I am just beginning to read it (was gifted to me), and it reminds me of stuff I read twenty years ago on the topic. Yep, that's right - it was written 20 years ago! Was reprinted recently, but I'm not seeing any new information - a clue is that it doesn't discuss any of the new drugs available. Not that I'm a believer in most of those drugs...

I just started putting it down to stop reading it because it didn't even talk about gluten intolerance, celiac disease, or other food allergies. I'm pretty sure that any discussion on Crohn's or IBD is incomplete without some recognition of other intestinal/digestion problems like these. It seems kind of dated, and a little stereotypical - not that valuable for 2012. Maybe 1990 when much less was known.

Just my 2 cents... Maybe it gets better?
09-03-2012, 11:59 AM   #30
Jandeacs

im prescribed Vit D . doesnt make that much difference to me , but I do feel better when i sit i the sun ???????

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » Recommended Books for Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, and other forms of IBD