• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

LDN saved MY Life ;-)

I got diagnosed having Crohns disease just 4 years ago. Have Crohns in the jejunum and ileum. I have five or six narrowed areas in the small intestines, which used to give me obstructions and still does, not so often though, than prior to LDN.

Before I started to use LDN I had a short period of "normal" prednisone use, my first and only, (3 month) was from diagnose date and untill tapering off of it 09/2007.

I am not using any maintanance medicine with LDN, but I will try to convince my doctor that Pentasa could keep the inflammation on a low level and could work really well with LDN. He does not support the idea that Pentasa is helping Crohns at all, as of a big trial done a few years ago.

I am not a big fan of LDN being a stand alone medicine, I am sure we need to combine it with a typical mild Crohns medicine as a maintanance med.

LDN has made my inflammation work on a low level, I am having obstructions just a couple of times each year now. Earlier I was severe ill and had obstructions several times a month. My GI wanted to give me a surgery 4 years ago, when I was diagnosed, but LDN changed his mind.

The numbers of bathroom visits with urgency got dramatically used when I started to use a diet without sugar, carbs and starches. I earlier tried to go gluten free, this was no help for me. Now I have normal and regular visits, just once a day.

So my recommendations are: LDN with a Crohns maintanance medicine, enzyms and a diet without wheat, starches and sugar.:thumleft:

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Ingrid. I am glad you have found a treatment that works for you. I hope it continues to do the trick! Welcome to the forum!

Hi Jill,
thank you, it's always nice to be wished welcome!:ysmile:

One of my words got a bit smaller than ment to:

When I started using LDN my Crohns symptoms got dramatically reduced... is the correct word that I ment to write...

I hope you all are looking through my mispelling and grammar :) but English is not the language I speak or write every day...:-/

kiny

Thanks for sharing. Nice to see you're happy.

I've been hesitant to mention naltrexone or use it because remi works for me. The reason for me has been that naltrexone affects your brain by blocking certain signals, which is why it works on addiction and it explains the vivid dreams people have who are on it. While naltrexone does not have any negative side-effects, it does profoundly affect your body and your brain, something that doesn't happen with immunosuppressants. But it seems to help people wirth crohn's a lot and in the end that's all that matters if it can save people.

Hello Ingrid,

I am happy you have done so well on LDN. I use it also, but never really knew how much it helped, as I had already resolved my symptoms prior to its use.

I have been flared for the last month, so it does not work perfectly, all the time, but I have not seen any other medication that does either.

I use several other methods to control the disease, and am usually experimenting with others. My experimenting may have even triggered this flare, no way to know for certain.

I hope you continue to do well.

Dan

Hi Ingrid,

Good to know. LDN helped me too for a good few years. It cleared up the flare-related arthritis in my feet.

if you are able to please post your story on User's Stories page of www.LDNscience.org - it will help many more people.

hopeful

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
I hope you all are looking through my mispelling and grammar :) but English is not the language I speak or write every day...:-/

You write better than some people who speak English as their first language!! And I am a former English teacher, so I should know! However, I shouldn't advertise this, because I am an awful speller!

ameslouise

Hi Ingrid and welcome!

Glad the LDN seems to be doing the trick for you right now, but you are smart to keep an open mind and know that you might need to combine it with something else!

Hope you continue to feel well! - Amy