• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

God wasn't thru with me!

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease when I was 16 years old. It was very difficult for me to handle. I told the Dr that he was lying, I had no such thing and I was never going to have a bag or anthing of the such. My mother made me realize that obviously something was wrong and I started taking Asocal. Being the stuborn person I am, I decided I wasn't going to take the medicine bc I convinced myself that if there wasn't any pain at the moment then there was nothing to worry about. Boy...was I wrong!!!
My stomach pains and constant BM's got worse, after 2 children and at the age of 25 I started taking medicine again. By that time it was too late. I had developed an abcess on my colon. I started taking antibiotics and steriods but they didn't help. I woke up one morning in major pain so I went to the ER and that's where it began.
I went for a guided CT scan however they couldn't do it bc the abcess on my colon had attached itself to my bladder and they couldn't drain it without punctering my bladder. The next day it ruptured and I had surgery and part of my intestines removed. 3 days later I had 3 more abcess come up on my colon so I had surgery again along with more of my intestines being removed. The Dr told my mom that I had a high chance of my intestines rupturing bc of all they had done to them in such a short time.
I will never forget it...my intestines ruptured and that was the worst possible pain ever!! I could feel ever organ in my body shutting down. When I finally woke up after being in a coma I couldn't talk, tubes everywhere. I wrote to my family on notepads wanting to know what happened. Bless my mothers heart, she was so scared bc she thought I was going to be mad at her for signing for the bag. I wasn't mad at all! After all I'm grown now and have children of my own and I knew that I had to be here for them.
Basically I had a rough go. Lots of time in the hospital with about 9 stomach surgeries and a pacemaker. Anything that could have went wrong, did. When I finally got out of the hospital I found out that my husband at the time had been cheating on me during my stay at the hospital. (No worries...I am re-married to the greatest man ever, who absolutely adores me)
I had wound infection after wound infection and finally in May of 2009 I got my reversal!! Bc of the wound infections my body couldn't heal properly so I had to heal from the inside out. I've had one plastic surgery to fix my scars and I have another one coming in Sept.
So that's my story (in somewhat a short version) lol
I'm hoping that I lift up others so that they know that you can make it thru this. As well as get strength from others bc I still have bad days and alot of emotions bc of scars that I was left with.
I truly believe that we are given this life bc God knows that we are strong enough to live it!!

Hello Mom2two! Wow! You have been through a lot! It sounds like you have a good attitude though, and that is so important! I had a temporary bag last year, and it saved my life! Isn't it funny how the things we are most afraid of are sometimes a lot scarier in our heads than in reality? Any way, thanks for sharing your story and I look forward to seeing you around the forum!

Jer's Girl, I have been thru so much but what doesn't kill us only makes us stronger. And you are right, it saved my life as well and for that I'm thankful everyday! I'm glad I found this site. Nobody really understands actually what we go thru and how we feel. My husband trys bless his heart but he doesn't understand my "bathroom" issue. We fear long road trips!!

ameslouise

Hey Mom and welcome!

Wow! You have been thru quite a lot. But sounds like you have a great positive attitude and a wonderful support system in your mom and new husband!

Hope your Crohn's is under control now and you can heal completely in spite of the wounds.

Long road trips... hmmm. Best advice I can give there is to avoid coffee, bring plenty of plastic bags and wet wipes!

- Amy