• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Prednisolone

Hi All,

Ive been feeling quite rough the last few days, in quite a bit of pain. Last time i saw my GI he gave me a script for 30mg prednisolone for 2 weeks then tapering 5mg every 5 days.

I didnt take them as we agreed at the time i was in no pain, ive spoken with my IBD nurse who said to use them if needs be although ive always been reluctant to start, she said i can take the whole course or a just for a couple of days to see if it helps.

The only steroids i took was entercort (budesonide) when i was first diagnosed so my body isnt used to them, how long do they usually take to make an impact? and is there any likelyhood of D or nausea?

I realise that everyone is different and D should be one of the last side effects.. but would be good to have some feedback

Not sure if theres a great deal of difference but its prednisolone and not prednisone.

Hi mate. Prednisolone acts almost immediately and you should know within 2 days if it's working or not. You can take it for a few days (not more than week) and stop if you've never been on steroids, but if you decide to take it for longer you'll have to taper slowly. I don't think you'll get d from it, but you should protect your stomach lining with a PPI and take it with food.

You should also watch your BP and try to keep roid rage under control. There's a possibility of muscle atrophy and naturally prednisolone will drain calcium from your body. Make sure you get a good calcium supplement and take boron with it.

IMHO it's best not to take it, but it's a good anti-inflammatory and it can take the pain and diarrhoea away.

Hope that helps. :)

Hey dude, thanks for the quick reply, hope your recovery is going well? Im gonna see how i feel tomorow morning, i have to see my GP for some kind of prescription review (which i dont really understand the point of since my GI is the one who write the scripts..) so i might wait till i see him.

One of the side effects i worry about is mood changes but we' ll see i guess. I really didnt want to start on steroids but i simply cant function when the pains at its worst.

Side thought - might this get rid of my hayfever for the time being? The theory is there, with allegies being inflamatory response and all that!