Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

02-10-2013, 08:14 PM   #331
theri1

Very grateful for this thread today. I was hospitalized yet again for a Crohn's flare up and have just tapered off the Prednisone (which was working great for my insides and was also great at making me feel insane!)

But now my inflammation is returning. Insides hurt and face is breaking out again. MM has helped me in the past when I had a card out in CA, so I Googled "marijuana and crohn's" this morning and came across sites related extracting the oil and then found my way here.

Especially appreciate learning about CBD's and how those are more important to pay attention to in the MM than THC if the main reason for taking the MM is inflammation.

Here's a question for you:

Any suggestion for strains that DO NOT have high tendencies toward increased appetite? My appetite is fine, so if I can do without the munchies, or with less munchies, I'd prefer that.

Thanks for all your open sharing.

Get Healthy Food to eat, still tastes like heaven when you have the munchies :P
02-11-2013, 10:42 PM   #332
chuckha62

I have a Blue Dream, Chocolate Thai cross and haven't noticed the munchies at all. I do sleep like a baby though!
02-17-2013, 03:55 PM   #333
bluemuse

Just throwing my 2 cents in here...

I'm recently diagnosed (July 2012) and also happen to be completely clean and sober for over 5 years. I'm not a nazi about it and have no judgments on other folks, but I have landed in a bit of a dilemma here because I heard SO much about how weed helps this condition. AND I don't live in a legal state.

But...after reading so much about it, I decided to give it a try and it definitely DOES help. I REALLY don't want to take hardcore pain meds and I would no doubt get addicted to any opiates right away. Using weed, so far I wouldn't need any other meds.

So - despite my sobriety otherwise - I am feeling ok about this. Although it worries me and pisses me off that it's not a legal option. And in fact, I would choose to juice the raw plants if I could legally grow them and that wouldn't cause any intoxication anyway. (Although that helps with insomnia and anxiety which are treated with other meds I don't want to take. So I'm all for that also.)

I'm not a kid looking for an excuse to get wasted. I'm middle-aged, committed to my program and I suffer from a shitty disease. This helps and it's a safer, saner option than other meds. Period.
02-17-2013, 04:20 PM   #334
David
Co-Founder

Using weed, so far I wouldn't need any other meds.
I'm really glad marijuana is doing you well bluemuse, I just wish it could be medical marijuana The quote above concerns me though. Lack of or reduced symptoms doesn't always mean lack of inflammation and mucosal healing which are absolutely critical. Please be careful about being lulled into a false sense of security as bowel damage can occur despite a lack of or decreased symptoms. In my opinion medical marijuana is a fantastic complimentary medication but I get concerned if it is the only medication people are on.
02-17-2013, 04:45 PM   #335
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Just throwing my 2 cents in here...

I'm recently diagnosed (July 2012) and also happen to be completely clean and sober for over 5 years. I'm not a nazi about it and have no judgments on other folks, but I have landed in a bit of a dilemma here because I heard SO much about how weed helps this condition. AND I don't live in a legal state.

But...after reading so much about it, I decided to give it a try and it definitely DOES help. I REALLY don't want to take hardcore pain meds and I would no doubt get addicted to any opiates right away. Using weed, so far I wouldn't need any other meds.

So - despite my sobriety otherwise - I am feeling ok about this. Although it worries me and pisses me off that it's not a legal option. And in fact, I would choose to juice the raw plants if I could legally grow them and that wouldn't cause any intoxication anyway. (Although that helps with insomnia and anxiety which are treated with other meds I don't want to take. So I'm all for that also.)

I'm not a kid looking for an excuse to get wasted. I'm middle-aged, committed to my program and I suffer from a shitty disease. This helps and it's a safer, saner option than other meds. Period.
I know plenty of people who are in a 12 step program who still partake of weed. It's very different than alcohol and opiates. My friend just went through hand Surgury, pins and all, with zero opiates!!!! He was mildly sedated with benzos during operation and took cannabis in edible form. He used to be addicted to opiates and now only uses cannabis.
02-17-2013, 04:46 PM   #336
bluemuse

I agree 100% David.
I was unclear...what I meant by that was "any other complimentary meds". As in meds for pain, nausea or sleep. It works wonders for those issues.

I'm actually just now having a problem coming off of Entocort and only being on Pentasa. I was fine and after one week off I'm in pain and nauseous. So I obviously need more or better meds for treatment.

But thankfully, I have a little help from Mother Nature for the discomfort.
02-17-2013, 05:10 PM   #337
bluemuse

Yeah Johnny, I have heard some debates about it here and there in program but not specifically about Medical issues. That's just a different ballpark altogether I think.
Out of kindness and sanity, we need to be able to treat symptoms somehow and this seems the best choice by far. With discernment of course...

Although personally, I also think weed is less harmful recreationally than almost everything else. And then it's about maintaining a healthy balance and being honest about whether we're able to do that.

I don't want to experience any ostracism from using it, but if I do...all I can say is beware of "contempt prior to investigation". A program phrase that should apply in all cases, if in any...
02-17-2013, 05:19 PM   #338
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Yeah I wouldn't mention it to AA people. They are kind of nazi/cultists about any deviation. Ironically Bill W created AA while high on LSD( a cure for alcoholism) and after being a part of Moral Rearmament, a christian cult fr early 1900's.
03-03-2013, 06:07 AM   #339
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

So I haven't eaten any edibles in a few weeks. I'vejust been smoking. Yesterday I ate an edible with kush butter and had the best night sleep. I also had marked decrease in transit time on the bowel movements and very well formed stools! Yay for medical cannabis!
03-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #340
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

So I haven't eaten any edibles in a few weeks. I'vejust been smoking. Yesterday I ate an edible with kush butter and had the best night sleep. I also had marked decrease in transit time on the bowel movements and very well formed stools! Yay for medical cannabis!
Edibles aren't as fast acting as when the cannabinoids are delivered through the lungs, but the effects are usually much more potent and long-lasting.

Whenever I want a good night of sleep I eat one of these and I'm guaranteed a trip to Wonderland.
03-03-2013, 05:26 PM   #341
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Edibles aren't as fast acting as when the cannabinoids are delivered through the lungs, but the effects are usually much more potent and long-lasting.

Whenever I want a good night of sleep I eat one of these and I'm guaranteed a trip to Wonderland.

True but I had a doctor tell me I should eat the cannabis so the cannabinoids go straight to my gut where there is inflammation and cannabinoid receptors. Maybe there is something to that?
03-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #342
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

The thing with edibles or tinctures is that they are metabolized directly into the gut, which limits interactions with the brain receptors. Whereas when you inhale vapor or smoke, it first goes through your lungs, where it is then assimilated into the bloodstream and goes everywhere, eventually finding the CB1 and CB2 receptors, the bulk of which are in your gut and your brain.

The edibles that goes through your stomach will therefore be prioritized by your bowel receptors, and will be metabolized much more slowly, creating a more localized effect.

Less brain involvement = less of a head high, more of a body high (meaning more pain relief and body relaxation than a couch-lock or euphoric effect).

Your doctor is definitely correct in saying that edibles are more efficient at treating inflammation than inhalation for people with IBD. He seems smart, keep him
03-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #343
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

No worries my man! I smoke plenty as well! :-)
03-06-2013, 06:05 PM   #344
gabriele

how long does it take for weed to make me feel the first good effects (reducing my runs to the bathroom)?
will it work faster by eating or smoking?
03-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #345
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

how long does it take for weed to make me feel the first good effects (reducing my runs to the bathroom)?
will it work faster by eating or smoking?
If you inhale, the effects will be felt almost immediately.

If you eat it, it may take up to 2 hours.
03-06-2013, 06:10 PM   #346
gabriele

how often and how much should i take?
and how long the effects will last?
03-06-2013, 06:26 PM   #347
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

I medicate multiple times a day, usually every 4-6 hours. I vaporize about 0.1-0.3g each time. This keeps me pain free all day.

I also eat edibles before bed (usually 2 cookies). It makes me sleep better, and it eliminates almost all of the pain I had when I woke up in the morning.
03-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #348
KnightRobby

My Support Groups:
I have been dealing with severe chronic head pain for the past 15 years and now doctors are recommending Medical Marijuana as a viable option for treatment - since I also have Celiac and Crohn's.

However, I am in the Arizona where it is not exactly legal. I called about the medical marijuana card and they told me how to get the card, but not how to obtain the actual treatment (marijuana). I've never done marijuana before.

So after I get my medical card (which the rep at the marijuana place said I definitely would qualify), where do I take it and use it to purchase marijuana safely? She mentioned Marijuana clubs but naturally I don't know who to trust or where to go. She mentioned the doctor cannot advise or recommend marijuana - only send my paperwork through proper channels to obtain the actual MM ID Card.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I am in so much pain and would like to try something other than pain pills - which have all but destroyed my stomach.

Thanks for your help!
03-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #349
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Americans For Safe Access website may have more info or NORML. You can also google Arizona marijuana dispensary and see what comes up. Last I read there weren't enough dispensaries in AZ. You can also find out if you are allowed to grow cannabis in AZ with the card. That is the cheapest, safest method of obtaining it.
03-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #350
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
Would anybody like to suggest to me a strain for growing which is:
- more anti-inflammatory than others
- easy to germinate and grow outdoors
- relatively short for concealed growth
Thanks for anybody who has a suggestion.
03-07-2013, 10:15 AM   #351
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
Has anybody tried Kratom, if so does it relief you pain and make you feel better but with a clear mind? I would really appreciate hearing, because it's legally ordered online, it's still legal. And you drink it mixed in water. I heard the Gray Malay is an anagesic or anti inflammatory.
03-07-2013, 10:18 AM   #352
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

Would anybody like to suggest to me a strain for growing which is:
- more anti-inflammatory than others
- easy to germinate and grow outdoors
- relatively short for concealed growth
Thanks for anybody who has a suggestion.

You are in France if I remember correctly? If so I would recommend CBD Crew strains for their high CBD content. They operate out of Spain so if you order seeds you're guaranteed to get them fast.

You can see all their varieties here:
http://cbdcrew.org/varieties/

CBD Outdoor Mix would be a good fit for you.

If you follow this germination guide, you should have 100% success:
http://www.mandalaseeds.com/Guides/Germination-Guide
03-07-2013, 02:17 PM   #353
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Has anybody tried Kratom, if so does it relief you pain and make you feel better but with a clear mind? I would really appreciate hearing, because it's legally ordered online, it's still legal. And you drink it mixed in water. I heard the Gray Malay is an anagesic or anti inflammatory.

Kratom was banned in Thailand where it has been used for decades. I would avoid any synthetic marijuana. Haven't you heard of bath salts? You don't want to go crazy and chew someone's face off. Stick to the tried and true Cannabis Sativa. In use for 2,000 years.
03-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #354
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
Yes, but one can get into trouble with that. I was just putting it out there to see if anyone had knowlede of it's affect on Crohn's.
03-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #355
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Risk a Slap on the wrist or risk psychosis? It's on a DEA watch list of substances. It will likely be illegal soon. Dude you live in Virginia which is one of many states plagued with OxyContin aka hillbilly heroin. If you purchase or grow small quantities your risk is very low. This is a medical marijuana thread. That's why I'm arguing with you. Nothing personal. Have you tried cannabis?
03-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #356
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The only medical benefit I see for kratom is to help with opioid cessation. There has also been incidences where it has caused liver dysfunction. There are no medical papers on its use with Crohn's.

I have been using cannabis off and on illegally for over 10 years with zero legal or medical repercussions. I keep using it because it has been studied and more is known about it and its benefits for Crohn's.

If you want to use something for pain. Use cannabis. Not only does it help with pain but it also helps heal the cause of pain for us... which in most cases is from inflammation and nausea.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=kratom

Look through those results. There isn't a lot there that blows my skirt up.

I would much rather stick with cannabis.
03-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #357
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
Thank you for the feedback. He is vaborizing pot, but I worry so. And DC is so close too bad he can't participate in their new program. Scratch the Kratom then.
03-08-2013, 09:16 AM   #358
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
I've tried it myself at times, but I feel bad for those whom need it every day. Just like my own illness, there are side affects to it all. And yes there is some truth to hillbillies etc., but his father was one of the unlucky ones when he tried to grow it.
03-08-2013, 09:58 AM   #359
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
how long does it take to rid the body of marijuana. I smoke it and its illegal here in Ireland. I might be having drugs tests soon for a job. I heard a month. please correct me if im wrong.
ju
03-08-2013, 11:10 AM   #360
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

You can buy fake urine on the Internet as long as they aren't going to watch you per u will be golden. Just make ire it's heated up to the right temperature or they will know. There is stuff online like Urineluck and whizzinator to name a few.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis