Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

03-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #361
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

I've tried it myself at times, but I feel bad for those whom need it every day. Just like my own illness, there are side affects to it all. And yes there is some truth to hillbillies etc., but his father was one of the unlucky ones when he tried to grow it.
I feel bad for anyone who has to take any medication everyday, but cannabis is one Of the safest substances known to mankind and used medicinally for 2,000 years. Hasn't killed anyone yet. Unlike Humira, Tylenol, aspirin, alcohol, cigarettes, Vioxx, opiates, etc.
03-08-2013, 11:25 AM   #362
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
I don't think I was explaining correctly, for things like my degenerative disc disease and oestoarthritis, fibro myalgia, I sometimes have to take muscle relaxers with an opiate in them, granted it feels good to get the relief, but then I start feeling sleepy and its like coming down.
03-08-2013, 11:59 AM   #363
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

how long does it take to rid the body of marijuana. I smoke it and its illegal here in Ireland. I might be having drugs tests soon for a job. I heard a month. please correct me if im wrong.
ju
It can be detectable up to four weeks in urine, but it can be longer in some cases if you're a chronic user and have some love handles since cannabis can hide in your fat in trace amounts.
03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #364
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It can be detectable up to four weeks in urine, but it can be longer in some cases if you're a chronic user and have some love handles since cannabis can hide in your fat in trace amounts.
ha so do they take a lb of fat to test...lol
im sure its just a urine test they'll be looking for.

johnny, fake pee!!
a tad extreme. I think ill give it up a month b4 hand. im not a big user.
wkends only!

ju
03-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #365
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

ha so do they take a lb of fat to test...lol
im sure its just a urine test they'll be looking for.
ju
What I meant is, if cannabis is stored in your fat, it can be released into the bloodstream over time and therefore end up in your urine through filtration for longer than the usual 4 weeks.
03-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #366
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Drink lots of water and don't exercise at all or burn any fat a few days before your test and you should be good.
03-08-2013, 04:37 PM   #367
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
What I meant is, if cannabis is stored in your fat, it can be released into the bloodstream over time and therefore end up in your urine through filtration for longer than the usual 4 weeks.
ya, how do you do a sarcastic face. sorry irish humour. we take the piss all the time. make good for smoke buddies.

ju
03-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #368
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Drink lots of water and don't exercise at all or burn any fat a few days before your test and you should be good.
shouldn't be hard. sarcastic face:y rolleyes:

good advise. Im emigrating to Canada this year so ill have time to get a break from it. ie plenty of notice.
did I read somewhere that they can detect it in your hair. not that id give them any of my hair. I think a urine sample is sufficient.
ju
03-08-2013, 05:02 PM   #369
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It can be detected in your hair for up to 90 days.
03-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #370
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Hair test is expensive ands hence less common. They sell shampoos to trick test.
03-08-2013, 05:35 PM   #371
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
LOL Johnny knows all the tricks
03-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #372
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

Apparently

But yes, forget the blood or hair tests in Canada. Will never happen. Too expensive. If you pass a urine test you're fine.

AFAIK cannabis is not screened for in immigrants?
03-09-2013, 06:08 AM   #373
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
thanks francis. good to know. however, its best to have a clear head for the interviewing process. I do find it affects my ability to string a sentence together.

johnny, you're a good'un. shampoo, fake pee. you seem to have done your research.

ju
03-12-2013, 09:25 AM   #374
Barnacle

Have any of you struggled with a spouse who is stuck in the, "marijuana is bad because they say it is bad" mindset? If so, how did you help them change their views?
03-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #375
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

Have any of you struggled with a spouse who is stuck in the, "marijuana is bad because they say it is bad" mindset? If so, how did you help them change their views?
What is your spouse's education level? If you provide her with scientific literature, will she be able to understand what she is reading?
03-12-2013, 10:33 AM   #376
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
What is your spouse's education level? If you provide her with scientific literature, will she be able to understand what she is reading?
There are delemas like this in life, for instance, my husband hoarding (though that is insignificant compared to this larger issue. If married to a complete control freak you are really going to have to look at options, for instance, when my husband tried that control thing on me, I left, it only took him one day to beg me to come back and on MY terms. I was prepared to back it up too, he changed, a lot.
The other option if you can't or don't want to leave, could be to look for herbs that help or alternatives like, accupunture, foot reflexology etc.

My heart truly goes out to you. And good luck, keep us posted. Kinsey
03-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #377
Kinsey

My Support Groups:
Who is "they" anyway? We are they too. I bet you could get some literature sent to you on the medical use of it, that is if he/she is willing to look at it, or, just set the literature down in a place that he/she may see it.
03-12-2013, 11:27 AM   #378
Barnacle

They're reasonably educated but very comfortable in their box. I don't know if they'd take scientific literature to heart or not. I think the response would be, "Obviously the government and law enforcement have science contrary to this otherwise it wouldn't be illegal."
03-12-2013, 11:37 AM   #379
finnegan

Sickinlk, I believe that a month is the correct amount of time it takes to metabolize all the THC from your system. I'd look it up on Google to be sure. Good luck with the job!
03-12-2013, 11:49 AM   #380
finnegan

Huge fan of medical Cannabis right here! I usually vaporize it in a vapor pen, very discreet and effective. Luckily I'm from Washington and have no trouble accessing high quality medical grade Cannabis.
My pet peeve is that it's still called "Marijuana", "weed" or "pot" which really paints Cannabis in the old "Reefer Madness" light. I'd like to see Cannabis viewed as a medical product and respected as such. With my state legalizing Cannabis for recreational use, I'm afraid that just the opposite will happen.
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM   #381
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
no, myself and my hubby both smoke it. we enjoy it and always have a laugh. we don't drink (I cant) so its our glass of wine so to speak,
where ru from? is it legal in your country?
marijuana is bad if you smoke it all the time and don't function properly as an adult. I have a bro who does just that and is a hermit in his room and doesn't socialize and has no job.
ju
03-17-2013, 05:47 AM   #382
CrohnsCanuck

Have been a medical user for almost a year. I went through all the stages of obtaining it legally even before my first try. Cannabis can be an effective supplement to the pharma treatments I am currently using. I also found that it reduces the amount opioid based meds I require for everyday pain management and for more severe times (such as immediately following surgery).

The biggest hurdle for me was getting over the stigma. A lot of my education had steered me firmly to the conservative side of the debate. Once I realized that any type of treatment, pills or otherwise beats being crippled by pain or being rendered unconscious using prescription pain killers, I started the process.

Vaporizing or ingesting the cannabis are the only options I considered. I have young children so I didn't even consider smoking. With some fine tuning for strain (live on Canada's west coast so easy access through dispensaries) and dose (vaporizing offers excellent control) I can say that the results have been very positive.

I'm so unpleasant and useless when I'm symptomatic, my wife often sends me on to back porch for a vapour session. That has to say something for it being benefit ;-)

Now, as the government moves to restrict production to a few commercial growers, things may change. But for now, I count my geographic blessings.
03-17-2013, 06:12 PM   #383
acc929

My Support Groups:
Hey all! New to the forum. I found this thread a couple days ago doing a bit of research on LDN/medical marijuana use in crohn's to try to find some kind of low-tox treatment plan. I was diagnosed about 10 years ago (22 now). I've been a smoker for a few years now, I find it stimulating for certain creative things and also just enjoy the relaxing effect. Living in a big city and being a student at a good university means there's not as much stigma to it as before or perhaps in other places - a lot of kids here smoke and are very productive (some less so, of course). I've been flaring the past couple days and had never really tried to use marijuana that therapeutically for my crohn's, though I saw the munchies and nausea relief as a bonus. After reading some of the testimonies here I used it today and yesterday, when I otherwise might have taken a tramadol, for pain relief. It really works! Of course I smoked more than I usually would on a regular day - do any experienced users have any tips on tolerance? Mine might make this an expensive treatment option on a student budget, though you all seem to think vaporizing is ideal and I admit I've been smoking regular spliffs. In any event glad I stumbled across this - smoking is such a better option than opiates or other painkillers when one is not flaring *too* severely. I even found that I felt less crampy the day after I'd used marijuana rather than meds for pain relief, and I'd even cheated on my liquid diet! Thanks guys! (sorry for being verbose)
03-17-2013, 06:47 PM   #384
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

I read a study somewhere that found that cannabis has the equivalent analgesic properties of vicodin. I would say this is true of some strains. I think Indica varieties have more pain relieving affects. I like og kush effects but other indicas have been as effective. Bubblegum also has good pain relieving effects.
03-17-2013, 06:59 PM   #385
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

I read a study somewhere that found that cannabis has the equivalent analgesic properties of vicodin. I would say this is true of some strains. I think Indica varieties have more pain relieving affects. I like og kush effects but other indicas have been as effective. Bubblegum also has good pain relieving effects.

Link? I find it hard to believe that cannabis could be as efficient as opioids. The pathways involved here are completely different.
03-17-2013, 07:08 PM   #386
acc929

My Support Groups:
Yeah, unfortunately I think that when the flare is really bad it's going to be pain meds hands down, just the way it is, but it's still a better option in less severe cases. Bubblegum is a personal favourite but unfortunately the legality of it here is still questionable, so it's super dependent upon available supply (Canada's more lenient than the states in general, but in Ontario I've never heard of medical marijuana being a Thing). Do you find certain methods of ingestion more efficient? I feel that my tolerance kind of makes the analgesic properties wear off rather quickly, but as I said, I've been smoking.
03-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #387
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Link? I find it hard to believe that cannabis could be as efficient as opioids. The pathways involved here are completely different.
My bad. It was codeine. But from personal experience it's more effective than Vicodin which just messes up my head for a few hours and requires more and more to get same effect. Although there is a ceiling with cannabis effects, the tolerance factor can't even be compared to opiates.

I find you reach a saturation point like other supplements and then just time to heal. I usually smoke joints or eat edibles.

http://www.cannabismd.net/analgesia/
03-17-2013, 07:28 PM   #388
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Yeah, unfortunately I think that when the flare is really bad it's going to be pain meds hands down, just the way it is, but it's still a better option in less severe cases. Bubblegum is a personal favourite but unfortunately the legality of it here is still questionable, so it's super dependent upon available supply (Canada's more lenient than the states in general, but in Ontario I've never heard of medical marijuana being a Thing). Do you find certain methods of ingestion more efficient? I feel that my tolerance kind of makes the analgesic properties wear off rather quickly, but as I said, I've been smoking.
Edibles for pain all the way.
03-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #389
CrohnsCanuck

In BC, we have at least a dozen legal(ish) medicinal dispensaries. They operate in the open and honestly help people with serious conditions. I only know of one compassion club (another legal way) in Toronto - http://www.medicalcompassionclinic.com/

That said, you can sign up with Health Canada and order government cannabis for $5/g and it comes via courier. Details here: http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marihuana/index-eng.php

There are tens of thousands of Canadians who use this program, and many more who use a doctor's prescription at compassion clubs and dispensaries. I'd say legal medicinal cannabis is definitely "a thing" in every province in the country.
03-18-2013, 06:20 AM   #390
sickinlk
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
any strains out there that don't cause munchies. I certainly don't need the munchies. lol.
ju

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis