Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

10-16-2013, 08:28 PM   #601
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

In regards to colitis flares does MM help? Had the occasional dube in college but not since. My GI dismissed my MM inquiry. As Peter Tosh says Legalize it don't criticize it. Any info regarding colitis and MM appreciated.
Namaste,
iriechic
Yes, it helps tremendously.

If you can have access to MM I do suggest you try it and see how it helps.

Screw the GI.
10-17-2013, 08:32 AM   #602
kevindjeanes

Hey folks, I live in Seattle and we are in a compassionate state for cannabis therapy and crohn's. I even moved here to get regular treatment and every day I meet folks who mention great results. If you have a story to tell, please visit my website https://www.facebook.com/cannabidiolforcrohns There are studies to participate in and lot's of great info. Thank you for placing your feedback here too, it really helps with awareness
10-22-2013, 08:29 PM   #603
wglatzel

Hi all. I have had Crohn's from before it was called that. I am currently working on avoiding surgery due to current inflammation. Years ago smoking marijuana recreationaly had a positive effect on my pain, cramps, and quality of life. Years ago the potency of marijuana was much lower than the current products of today. Coming across this web discussion leads me to believe that it may be worth another try. Thanks for all the posts and I will report back as my decision is implemented. After all if it doesn't hurt it's worth a try.
10-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #604
Dialn911

everytime I ask a mainstream GI about medical marijuana they just blow me off. Its pretty aggravating, considering that if their order of business is to help people such as us fight this disease, wouldn't they want to know or investigate or at least learn information coming out of the fold how cannabis can actually help?

its such a stupid ignorant and arrogant attitude.
10-24-2013, 03:25 PM   #605
mish2575

My Support Groups:

Joshuaaa--I wouldn't think that it would. I was worried about inhaling any kind of smoke after my diagnosis but my vape got old also and I started venturing back to other smoking options. Now I am fine as long as I dont smoke any kind of tobacco (I found organic hemp rolling papers and those are actually really nice and haven't seemed to have any negative effects). I would think as long as you stay away from nicotine you should be fine.
OH Man! I love tabacco leaf rolling papers. DER I didnt even think about the fact that it was tabacco.

I dont like the hemp papers i have. No paper i've found is as smooth as tabacco.

I was thinking of getting a vaporizor, mainly because I live in New England where it is cold and my son is 4. I dont want to have to go out to the (unattached) garage to smoke, i'd rather do it in the basement or my room but don't want him to smell it. I've read two posts here now that make it seem like it becomes a P.I.A.

Any thoughts?
10-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #606
mish2575

My Support Groups:
I'm definitely hardwired to think more smoke = more medication. :/ Are you positive? Its going to be hard to convince my body. LOL
10-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #607
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

I'm definitely hardwired to think more smoke = more medication. :/ Are you positive? Its going to be hard to convince my body. LOL
100% positive
10-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #608
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

its such a stupid ignorant and arrogant attitude.

Doctors are elitists. They trust information that comes from above or their peers.

It will happen eventually that doctors are in the know and can openly discuss the positive sides of the cannabinoids at least, but even cannabinoid science is foreign to, I would guess, 90%+ of practicing physicians.

And it's sad.
10-24-2013, 04:19 PM   #609
Dialn911

Doctors are elitists. They trust information that comes from above or their peers.

It will happen eventually that doctors are in the know and can openly discuss the positive sides of the cannabinoids at least, but even cannabinoid science is foreign to, I would guess, 90%+ of practicing physicians.

And it's sad.
that's just it though, there are peer-reviewed medical studies being published right now about cannabis. Also, cannabis was in the United States pharmacology books all the way from the mid 1800's to 1940s. this is an issue of lack of education and knowledge of what we already do know.
10-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #610
Gobucks2014

My Support Groups:
Hey all,

Not sure how to post a new topic but any insight would be appreciated..... Firm believer that MM could alleviate a lot of my Crohn's issues based on all the information that's out there and the experience of the people on this forum. My biggest concern is interaction with other drugs that I am taking and it's tough to find a good spot to check. Currently I am on:
-remacaid
- pred
- lexapro
- Coumadin
- Percocet
- Xanax
- lunesta

I would love to stop taking pills or at least eliminate some. Anyone have any insight on a good interaction checker or feedback? Because I am in a state that has yet to approve MM I have found that the DR community doesn't really like to discuss this topic.

Just out of the hospital from a flare and trying to get to a stable condition to make some changes. Appreciate any insights.
10-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #611
Dialn911

wish I knew the answer for you but I don't. I don't know how you can function taking all that medication at once. I live in Arizona, where its legal, the doctors here don't like talking about it. Hopefully someone else will have an answer for you.
10-24-2013, 06:11 PM   #612
ce1210

My Support Groups:
well you could either move to a state that allows access to marijuana or u could get some on the black market...I'm in the same situation in my state its extremely unfortunate that I commit a felony most days when I use and possess the only medicine that gives me an appetite, relieves nausea, helps with abdominal pain and arthritis pain, helps with headaches, cures insomnia, and the only side affects are being in a good mood, losing track of time, bad short term memory (but only with high doses), slightly increased heart rate (but there have been studies that suggest that it may actually be good for the circulatory system), feeling relaxed, and red eyes. It also decreases bowel motility. You could beg your doctor to prescribe Marinol also...and as far as interactions, I probably wouldn't smoke it Gobucks just to be safe I would vaporize or make edibles (I have no medical training, but A LOT of experience with cannabis). I just purchased a vaporizer on ebay that is portable and works very well for $140. It's not a "P.I.A." at all really I do need to get a car charger to make it more portable tho. I would be willing to bet cannabis could help you get off at least a few of your meds. Its helps me tremendously.
10-24-2013, 06:22 PM   #613
Dialn911

MarInol will do nothing for Crohn's. You need, canibidyole, and that is not Marinol.
10-24-2013, 06:23 PM   #614
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

that's just it though, there are peer-reviewed medical studies being published right now about cannabis. Also, cannabis was in the United States pharmacology books all the way from the mid 1800's to 1940s. this is an issue of lack of education and knowledge of what we already do know.
You'd be surprised to see how many doctors never read scientific literature after they leave medschool. They trust their boards to read the latest literature for them and come up with the best protocols for them to follow. Some won't ever attend a seminar unless it's hosted in the Caribbeans (usually by pharmaceutical companies who want to sell the benefits of their latest products).

The peer-reviewed double blind clinical trial results are coming out. There's only been a few in the past few years. Once they all say the same (what everyone in this forum probably already knows), the professionals will start paying more attention and finally realize "duh, we've known about this for 20 years!"

Cannabinoids, the molecules, were discovered in the 90s. That discovery opened the gates, but it's only been 20 years over all. Stigmas and propaganda surrounding cannabis have been perpetrated for much longer than that. It will take many more years, maybe decades, before the science overcomes the prejudices.

It will happen eventually. It's inevitable. But we're not out of the woods yet.
10-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #615
Melibean

My Support Groups:
Hello All!
I've been reading this thread for a very long time. I want to thank everyone for all tue wonderful information everyone has been providing here. I wanted to ask.if anyone has or had been taking metronidazole while using MM? How have those two worked together?
10-24-2013, 06:37 PM   #616
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

I would love to stop taking pills or at least eliminate some. Anyone have any insight on a good interaction checker or feedback? Because I am in a state that has yet to approve MM I have found that the DR community doesn't really like to discuss this topic.
Cannabis could take percocet and lunesta off that list for sure. Prednisone eventually, and even remicade.

Xanax are Lexapro could present a problem. If you're suffering from depression and anxiety disorder, cannabis could exacerbate your symptoms. Cannabinoids have their own private network of receptors in the brain and will not interact with your meds, but it does alter the overall brain chemistry. I couldn't tell you what the mix would do to you. You'd have to try and see. The brain is too complex to say "this won't work" or "this will happen." This is a case-by-case basis.

Coumadin is a blood thinner, there's no interaction with marijuana.

I know it's frustrating but take anything you read here with a grain of salt and double check. Even if all of us were doctors, we don't have your history and latest labs and we don't know you. Maybe your GI doesn't know you better. Ultimately, you're the master of your own body. So long you're an informed master, everything goes in my opinion.
10-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #617
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

How have those two worked together?
There are no interactions between antibiotics and cannabis. It's safe.
10-24-2013, 06:51 PM   #618
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

MarInol will do nothing for Crohn's. You need, canibidyole, and that is not Marinol.
Marinol's active ingredient is Dronabinol, a synthetic molecule (nearly) identical to Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC). Synthetic cannabinoids have not been proven to be as effective as natural ones in clinical trials and in-vitro tests. Furthermore, they may even present risks their natural counterparts do not have.

Cannabidiol (or CBD) is another cannabinoid that, much like THC, has great anti-inflammatory properties, but it has the benefit of not getting you high. That being said, THC alone has induced remission in patients with colitis. Not the synthetic kind like Marinol, but real THC extracted from plants.

Marinol would therefore still help his colitis, but it definitely wouldn't be as effective as the real thing, and there may be risks we still don't know much about yet. Compared to the millennia of semi anecdotal records we have on cannabis, which version is safest to use is a no brainer.

The main appeal of cannabidiol (CBD) is its lack of psychoactivity and its ability to modulate the psychoactivity of other cannabinoids like THC. For example, if you inhale 10 mg of THC and 40mg of CBD together, you will not feel high at all, whereas if you took 10mg of THC alone, you'd be couchlocked for a day.

Lots of exciting times are coming ahead for us IBDers with cannabis research. Terribly exciting times.
10-24-2013, 07:28 PM   #619
Gobucks2014

My Support Groups:
Thanks for the feedback. I will keep researching and reading....... I am tapering off the pred now and the Xanax was just prescribed during my recent hospital trip for anxiety around the flare up. I am on the mend and really looking at longer term options to manage the crohns symptoms which ce1210 pointed out w/out all the pharma.
10-24-2013, 07:35 PM   #620
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

Thanks for the feedback. I will keep researching and reading....... I am tapering off the pred now and the Xanax was just prescribed during my recent hospital trip for anxiety around the flare up. I am on the mend and really looking at longer term options to manage the crohns symptoms which ce1210 pointed out w/out all the pharma.
If you can:

-Find a reliable source of cannabis (reliable means properly grown and properly cured cannabis, and the dispensary or seller should be available to sell to you when you need it)
-Can afford to pay its cost
-Can establish a regimen in which you could take your daily dose(s)

You should be able to let go of all the drugs you currently take for your colitis.

But to be effective at treating the colitis and not just the symptoms you'll have to take regular doses every day. At least 0.5g a day, more would be better.

So depending on where you live and what you pay for potent cannabis (high amount of THC and/or CBD), it can become an expensive treatment.

If you live in a state that is legal to grow it, then you're laughing all the way to the bank and pharmacy because it costs very little to grow your own.

If you have children, spouses, family, friends or people you have to hide your medicating from (depending on legal status or marital problems or etc), it might be complicated to adopt a daily regimen.

I have personally induced remission in myself with cannabis without ANY other medication and no diet change, but I've been vaporizing 0.1g every two hours for over six months. I could do that because I am legally able to grow the cannabis myself (otherwise I would be spending several hundred dollars a month) and I work from home so I can work around my disease rather than the other way around.

Even if you do not have enough to induce remission though, ANY amount helps in the short term at the very least. You'll still feel better, have more appetite, go to the bathroom less often, sleep better and feel no pain when you use it.

The doctor prescribing your SSRI will no doubt object to your cannabis use for reasons I mentioned before. You can still try it and see what happens. Currently, there is as much scientific literature saying cannabis can help treat mental disorders like depression or anxiety disorder than literature that says cannabis makes mental illnesses worse.

So it's not 50/50 but close.

Since you're the one taking all the pills, you have final say on what is OK to take or not. Just remember: get informed
10-25-2013, 07:51 AM   #621
mish2575

My Support Groups:
Cannabis could take percocet and lunesta off that list for sure. Prednisone eventually, and even remicade.
Not so sure about the remicade. I have Crohns Colitis and have been a regular smoker for over 20 years. I developed Crohn's and fistulas and had to go on Remicade all the while smoking marijuana daily. I've continued to develop fistulas.
10-25-2013, 09:39 AM   #622
FrancisK7
Forum Monitor

Not so sure about the remicade. I have Crohns Colitis and have been a regular smoker for over 20 years. I developed Crohn's and fistulas and had to go on Remicade all the while smoking marijuana daily. I've continued to develop fistulas.
Cannabis alone has induced remission in patients in clinical trials. For those patients, Remicade or any biologics would become obsolete.

Fistulas are consequence of your disease but it's an indirect cause. Some people are prone to abscesses even in the absence of major inflammation. Cannabis would do nothing to stop abscesses from forming and healing into fistulas in these cases.

However, I'd be curious to know how much cannabis you've been smoking daily for the past 20 years, how potent it is, etc. Have you ever tried ingesting it instead of smoking it?
10-29-2013, 08:16 PM   #623
ce1210

My Support Groups:
To be clear I only suggested marinol before because it would have been the only legal option in that case and while marinol wouldn't be as effective as the real thing it would most likely help with crohn's/colitis to some extent and would if nothing else aid inflammation and appetite.
10-29-2013, 08:17 PM   #624
ce1210

My Support Groups:
But I have to agree with FrancisK about the dosing of MM, I have noticed it being a considerably more effective treatment when taken every 4-6 hours...
10-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #625
mish2575

My Support Groups:
However, I'd be curious to know how much cannabis you've been smoking daily for the past 20 years, how potent it is, etc. Have you ever tried ingesting it instead of smoking it?
I would say an average of one cigerette a day (more on weekends, slightly less on weekdays because of work). I cannot do it during regular intervals througout the day on weekdays because I have to work full time and it requires a brain, not to mention it is still illegal (albeit a misdemeanor now). It has been street stuff. I used to have a stable source of quality M but now a days it seems to be a much less quality product.

I have had crohn's for 14 years and have had no major complications other than the fistulas and 3 extra-intestinal manifestations that are not in the gut.

I'm very very excited that my state recently passed a MM law. No doctor's are licensed to prescribe it yet and dispensaries havent been erected yet but it will come within a year. My GI is very excited and staying on top of it. I'm hoping she'll prescribe it for me, but without major issues i'm also nervous that she'll refuse. I'm hoping that being truthful with her will help, but she's pretty by the books so i figure i have about a 35% chance of getting a script.
10-30-2013, 09:48 AM   #626
softlistenin1

I can honestly say that one of the largest remission periods in my life was during a period when I was using marijuana. They do say that correlation does not mean causation though so who knows if it was the true catalyst. That lead though is tantalizing enough to make me strongly consider getting a medicinal card.
10-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #627
David
Co-Founder

It is truly amazing to me just how many positive stories there are coming from people with IBD who utilize marijuana. Such a wonderful medicine.
11-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #628
mish2575

My Support Groups:
I happened to get some M that had lots of CBDs (thanks Francis) so I decided to forego the asacol for the weekend and use MM. I started last night. So far so good.
11-02-2013, 09:26 PM   #629
Searchingforhealth

My Support Groups:
Has anyone tried Kind Caps that are 10.2 THC 11.4 CBD?
11-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #630
mish2575

My Support Groups:
I happened to get some M that had lots of CBDs (thanks Francis) so I decided to forego the asacol for the weekend and use MM. I started last night. So far so good.
MY MM EXPIRIMENT WAS A COMPLETE SUCCESS!!!
The last dose of Asacol I took was on Friday morning. I started MM at approx 5:30pm and continued taking a few puffs every few hours for the rest of the weekend. I did take a dose of Asacol Sunday night right before bed since I could not wake and bake before work.

I tested the limits of MM on inflamation, let me tell you. I had all sorts of bad foods all weekend (it is my daughters birthday). Not only did i not get cramping or diarrhea, but my BM's this morning were normal/hard (of course to my body normal BM's feel like the worst case of constipation ever).

I cannot wait to see my GI again.

I hate feeling high all the time, but this is proof to me that it works.

Can anyone in a state with up and running MM dispensaries tell me if you can purchase CBD without TCH?

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis