Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

02-11-2012, 11:41 PM   #91
mommas.mia

I am wanting to to ask my Dr. about getting MM prescribed just wondering how you go about it? I have had UC for 7 years now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
02-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #92
rjmartins77

Good afternoon,

I am not really aware of the laws in Canada but i've done a little research and it looks proimising!!. Talk to your Gastro Doctor first. My primary doctor did not practice with Cannabis but he was quick to refer me to one who did!! Try that way first. Then try to search cannabis doctors in your local area. Let them know how you benefit from cannabis, and your habits. Each plant is different

Good luck,
We are the future.
02-12-2012, 05:03 PM   #93
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

My doc told me to eat cannabis infused food so the medicine reaches the inflamed intestines.
02-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #94
rjmartins77

Sure!! I've actually got a plan to make two batches of Canna-Cookies myself tonight! for the premier of The Walking Dead. . I do feel more relaxed in my abdoman area when I eat edibles, I usually have them when I have the whole night to relax. Its really great. The cause of it feeling a little better is because of the Cannabinoid receptors in our abdoman. There are plenty of recipe's using cannabutter, and cannaoil. I try different ones all the time!!
02-15-2012, 12:52 PM   #95
Derfernerf

Interesting read. Let me start off by saying I am about 90% against marijuana. Heres why. I'm 20 years old, and this stuff has given me the worst reputation because of all these "stoner" kids who get high, cause trouble, and have no life. I work a job, I am in the process of going to college (long story), and have goals and morals.

NONE of this is intended towards any of you. You all take it for a reason. However, I'm not very comfortable being "under the influence". I don't drink alcohol, I don't smoke, nothing. However, after reading through this, everyone claims to feel a lot better, and I can't help think about that. Less BM's/diarrhea, eating more, better sleep, less pain in the stomach. The stuff sounds like a miracle!

I live in Michigan where it is legal. My doctor has never brought it up, though. I can't really turn to my friends about it because a lot of them smoke and I don't want to be pressured into it (any more than I already am). I know my parents wouldn't be happy about it, but if it honestly made me feel better, then too bad.

My question is this, does anyone have anything bad to say about the stuff? aside from the obvious - it's illegal in most states, problems with finding a job (which worries me the most), the possible long term effects, etc
02-17-2012, 12:44 AM   #96
rjmartins77

COMPLETELY understanding, i've done nothing but associated cannabis smoking with "stoner" kids for a long time. As i've grown older I have educated myself by research, other people in the medical cannabis community, and overall maturing to come to understand that there is a difference between a "stoner" kid, with no enthusiasm to get up and do anything with their lives other than smoke. Than someone like me, or even you, who benefit from this completely natural plant.

Unfortunately as far as jobs go, every medical cannabis state law varies. Here in California it is at the Employer's discretion weather or not to drug test. As we become stronger as a community and become recognized that issue will hopefully be addressed. I know if you have a medical cannabis license in Rhode Island an employer may not discriminate.
--i know because i'm originally from there.

As far as how much you should medicate, try a little at a time and see how you react and feel. Remember, this plant is extremely diverse. If i've had more cramps than usual... I will get an indica. It really helps in my stomach body area. I am extremely busy so I usually medicate in the morning with my coffee, as I read or do homework (which is a very small amount)--it helps the nausea... then I don't usually medicate until dinner time--which also helps me have a full evening meal (because I usually don't eat during the day).

You brought up that your doctor has never mentioned it to you which
unfortunatly is the reality at the moment--hopefully that will change..
As I brought it up to my local Gastro doctor he was glad to talk about it. thankfully he is leval headed doctor and went ahead with
assuring me that though he doesnt "perscribe" it (of course in fear of
his license) he does believe that if I feel the benefits of it, then
there is no reason to question it. We proceeded to chat about how it became illegal and how there has never been any studies of negative side effects. It was interesting stuff.

There is an unfortunate backstory about how cannabis was outlawed... well.. it technically wasen't. Just taxed. When I get the name of a great documentary I will post it!!
If you have some spare time, do some research, it is a very interesting
subject.
I can imagine you are worried what your parents or others
think of you. Let me just say from first hand experiences. I am not
a waste of life, nor do I sit around all day smoking cannabis doing nothing. I am working 40 hours a week, and take 11 credits in college. Pay rent, and utilities. Think what you want, I feel great and live a healthy productive life. I think you deserve one to.
02-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #97
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Well, what job are you going to get where you have the chance of getting tested? Probably not too many unless you are going super corporate or a job where sobriety is a requirement like operating heavy machinary. Millions of Americans are walking around in a pharmaceutical haze and you don't even think about it. Valium, Xanax, Prozac, Chantix, you name it.

I understand it goes against your morals, but does taking pain pills if they are prescribed go against your morals? Those are worse for you physically and mentally. Also, if cannabis can help you then it is worth a shot. Is your life not worth it if nothing else is working? You can stay in the closet about the weed to avoid the stoner label if that is your main concern. I would also find a caregiver in your area or dispensary if you have them unless you know a grower and their methods so you know what is in the final product.
02-17-2012, 01:11 AM   #98
rjmartins77

You just have have to be confident and willing to look. And as far as your "final product" it is a plant. You purchase a small $250.00 grow tent that can be in your room. Do the correct research and a few google searches, its not that hard. You could even google your local garden home center. They have all the supplies
02-17-2012, 01:29 AM   #99
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

I agree, RJ, but the kid is afraid to be associated with it. But yeah, a small 4x4 tent and a 600 watt should be enough to knock out a year supply in 3 months.
02-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #100
rjmartins77

oh absolutely. I do agree its obviously different for all of us unfortunately.. first try the support of your parents. My mother has been with me for 10 years now, through everything and she is behind me and medical cannabis. Of course she prefers me to keep it low, and when I need it--like a worried mom would do lol
02-18-2012, 08:48 PM   #101
Derfernerf

Thanks for the replies!

rj- I feel as though I would be and am mature enough to not be one of those kids, however, when people find out you smoke, you instantly get that rep from people. If I were to start it would be PURELY for medical reasons. Also, I assumed my doctor wouldn't be like "Hey, why don't you try smoking pot!", but it's never been even mentioned.

Johnny - I am trying to get into being an automotive tech. I had just applied for a job at a dealership, and they did a hair drug test, which goes back 6 months. I have never been on pain pills before. But you're right, if nothing else is working, it's something to be put into consideration.

As far as growing it myself. If I did ever start smoking, as nice as growing it myself sounds (I know what goes into it, and I get a lot more for what I pay) I don't think I would. I know it's hard to grow, and it takes a lot of time. I also live in an apartment and know growing has a VERY strong odor so it's kind of out of the question.

Anywho, it will be something I take into consideration. I will be doing a lot more research and browsing.
02-22-2012, 12:35 AM   #102
rjmartins77

For the most part, my use of cannabis is kept quiet. I have no need for people whom I work for, or associates on a professional basis to be in that business of my life. I am not afraid to educate people about it however, but of course I don't just go telling everyone my private life.

Those kids will always be categorized as "pot heads" or whatever you want to call them. I call them low lifes. They choose to be bums. Its up to you to control your own life, ya know.

I love that your thinking about it, and interested in the subject. Definitely look more into it. Of course if there's anyone who's interested in sharing anything else, thats why I joined up!!
02-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #103
Paladin

*edited out by admin*
02-23-2012, 11:47 AM   #104
David
Co-Founder

Please do not post in this thread again or utilize such terminology on this forum in any thread or post.
02-25-2012, 11:40 AM   #105
Jessie_76

My Support Groups:
In my state it is illegal to consume and grow. I have been known to use it though during flare ups to help me eat, reduce pain, and alleviate nausea and diarrhea.
02-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #106
KWalker

Sorry if the answer is somewhere in the thread, but is there any medical evidence that medical marijuana actually helps crohns or does it just calm the symptoms? Like, could anyone actually say they're in remission strictly because of M.M.? I've always been against smoking marijuana just because of the smell, the high, and the stigma that follows as someone has said before but if you could actually take it in other forms (IE: eating, etc) then I would actually consider giving it a try if it had medical evidence.

Previous Meds:
Prednisone
Remicade
Humira
Methotrexate (oral)
Methotrexate (injections)
Cipro
Flagyl

Current Treatment:
200mg Simponi, Psyllium
02-27-2012, 03:34 PM   #107
David
Co-Founder

Sorry if the answer is somewhere in the thread, but is there any medical evidence that medical marijuana actually helps crohns or does it just calm the symptoms? Like, could anyone actually say they're in remission strictly because of M.M.? I've always been against smoking marijuana just because of the smell, the high, and the stigma that follows as someone has said before but if you could actually take it in other forms (IE: eating, etc) then I would actually consider giving it a try if it had medical evidence.
Please see the studies I linked to in the first post of the thread. Example:

Cannabis use is associated with a reduction in Crohn's disease (CD) activity and disease-related surgeries, according to the results of a retrospective observational study published in the August issue of the Journal of the Israeli Medical Association.

And yes, medical marijuana can be eaten.
02-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #108
KWalker

Ah, first post.. I should have atleast read that lol..

Sorry, and thanks.. I don't want to go back on medicine, so maybe I'll talk to my doctor and see if this would be an option. I'm not even sure if it's legal in Ontario to be honest. I'd have to look into that.
02-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #109
David
Co-Founder

Just keep in mind that medical marijuana IS a medicine. There's potential side effects like everything. Research it thoroughly like any medication and make an informed choice.
02-27-2012, 04:13 PM   #110
KWalker

Oh yes, I definitely agree. I would absolutely have to have an in-depth conversation with a few people including my doctor about this to weigh out the pros and cons. For me, the main reason would be for the diarrhea and frequent visits because as of right now, that would be my only symptom. I've tried a few things from store shelves from it and haven't had much luck.
02-28-2012, 12:17 PM   #111
chuckha62

Hello All,

I found this thread while searching for Marijuana and Ulcerative Colitis, in Google.

I'm currently in a flare after two and a half years of no Colitis symptoms whatsoever. I'm treating this flare exactly as I did the last one I had (June of '09), with Cannabis.

I just turned 50 and aside from some infrequent use in my late teens, was not a marijuana user. After my third Colitis flare in 12 years, I found traditional treatment for UC had become ineffective. When my Gastro. doc started kicking around the idea of surgery, I decided to listen to my GP who had actually suggested medical Marijuana 8 months earlier.

Since I live in California, it was a simple form from my GP that made me legal. I was fortunate to find a strain of Thai that completely wiped out my UC symptoms within four days. It turns out that Thai (this particular strain, anyway) is high in CBD's, which are most effective in controlling this disease.

Fast forward to last week, when I hadn't ingested any cannabis whatsoever in nearly 9 months, and my symptoms returned. I wasn't able to find any Thai at all until yesterday, so I'm hopeful that I'll be on the mend in just a few days. Wish me luck.

Now, I see in this thread that people are questioning whether to smoke or eat in order to deliver the CBD's to the gut, I will say this... I smoke it, as that's the best way for me to control just how much I take in. While I agree that eating it is probably technically the best way to deliver the cbd's where needed, it's just too much of an unknown for me. I'm a lightweight and two hits from a pipe is all I need, eating it would be just too much for me.

More to come...

Cheers All!

Chuck
03-09-2012, 11:28 AM   #112
QueenGothel

I live in Michigan where medical marijuana is legal, to bad my DD is 4. I would love to reduce her stress, inflammation and possibly pain using a safer route than the morphine they told me they could give her. I am going to research Simpson oil and see if I can get approval for her to use it. A long shot buy worth a try.
03-31-2012, 11:04 AM   #113
mr nice

Hi, I am new to this site, found it during one of my many 'crohn's and medical marijuana' google searches. I am 21 and have had Crohn's since I was 15. I have tried so many different medications and treatments and been offered some others which i have turned down. Some work in the short term (despite horrible side effects) , some do not work at all and some just don't seem worth it.

About a year ago I went to Amsterdam with some friends, and enjoyed smoking some Marijuana! When i got home i did some research and found that it could be a good treatment for Crohn's. I carried on medicating and have noticed great improvements, I just feel more normal.

I live in the UK, which is bad for MM as our laws regarding weed are absurd! I don't have too much trouble getting my hands on the herb, but it would be much better if i could get regulated supply from a dispensary or home grown.

Been very interesting and informative reading everyones story's and anecdotes on this thread.

Also with the fact it is illegal over here I have to basically keep it under wraps, I still live with my parents and don't think they would react well, so have to hide it from them.

I smoke pretty regularly to keep symptoms at bay, but also if i am not feeling well i can have a joint and it normally makes me feel much better!

For a while now i have been treating my Crohn's myself, using Marijuana, 100% Aloe Vera Juice (look into it, it is meant to be a good supplement for suffers) and I also like to supplement my diet with protein shakes to give me extra nutrients, protein and calories!

Herb is the future for us and for the world in general!

Hope everyone is well
03-31-2012, 12:10 PM   #114
Paladin

For a while now i have been treating my Crohn's myself, using Marijuana, 100% Aloe Vera Juice (look into it, it is meant to be a good supplement for suffers) and I also like to supplement my diet with protein shakes to give me extra nutrients, protein and calories! l
In my late 50's and medicate exactly as you show, with the exception that as a legal grower and user in canada i have access to a strain of MJ that works
miracles for me.
Discovered the aloe 10 years back and it has done wonders to stabe my condition and avoid the knife.

What can those in need of pot in the UK do? Become active, let your MP
and doctor know . . and see if you can get Marinol prescribed (no longer on the shelf in canada, stopped making it) which is synthetic MJ.

Researchers in California and Israel have found pot offers huge benefits when the entire plant is 'juiced' and consumed. Bad news is no 'high' results as heat is needed to make THC affect the mind. Youtube has some excellent stuff on juice cannabanoids.
03-31-2012, 06:00 PM   #115
GFinDC

I don't use MJ myself and don''t need it for pain as I have celiac and control it with diet. But I certainly can understand the use for people living with Crohn's or cancer or other painful conditions. Anyway, I noticed this article the other day on Yahoo about Washington, DC approving MMJ. Seems there are going to be 6 locations in the city where it can be grown. With the cost of medical pain relief drugs being so high these days it seems like a lower cost non-toxic pain control alternative makes sense.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...utm_medium=RSS
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.

Celiac disease, (not Crohn's), thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. My current bad list is: gluten (wheat, barley rye and oats), dairy, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, nightshades (tomatoes, peppers, potatoes), alcohol, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul
03-31-2012, 06:35 PM   #116
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Nice! That is awesome.
Thanks for sharing this
04-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #117
mr nice

In my late 50's and medicate exactly as you show, with the exception that as a legal grower and user in canada i have access to a strain of MJ that works
miracles for me.

Discovered the aloe 10 years back and it has done wonders to stabe my condition and avoid the knife.

see if you can get Marinol prescribed (no longer on the shelf in canada, stopped making it) which is synthetic MJ.
What strain do you use? I am interested to find out the best ones to treat Crohn's.

Also tell me about your aloe? I use the juice and have it in the morning and before bed, tastes vile but seems to help me out and no side effects like prescription meds so all good!

Also could you tell me more about Marinol?

Sorry about all the questions! Thanks
04-01-2012, 07:50 PM   #118
QueenGothel

Just an FYI the book "breaking the vicious cycles" says aloe caused increased TNF. I was using it for my DD. I got scared when I read that being she is on remicade and they contradict each other so I stopped using it all together. I am glad it helps you though.
04-01-2012, 08:17 PM   #119
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

What strain do you use? I am interested to find out the best ones to treat Crohn's.

Also tell me about your aloe? I use the juice and have it in the morning and before bed, tastes vile but seems to help me out and no side effects like prescription meds so all good!

Also could you tell me more about Marinol?

Sorry about all the questions! Thanks
Marinol is synthetic THC. THC is one of over 80 different canabinoids in Marijuana. Marinol may increase appetite but is inferior to the whole plant in my opinion. I personally didn't care
For marinol although it would be a legitimate excuse for failing a marijuana drug test.
04-02-2012, 11:48 PM   #120
sfong84

My 8 year old has had UC for over a year now and a very severe case of it! She's been on Remicade, sulfasalazine, Prednisolone, Metronidazole, and other countless meds. Yet she's still been hospitalized 4 times this past year and had 3 blood transfusions. I'm really debating the medical marijuana issue with her since none of her meds seem 2help. Am I a bad parent for that? I just want her to be able to live a somewhat normal life......

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis