Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis

04-03-2012, 07:39 AM   #121
mr nice

My 8 year old has had UC for over a year now and a very severe case of it! She's been on Remicade, sulfasalazine, Prednisolone, Metronidazole, and other countless meds. Yet she's still been hospitalized 4 times this past year and had 3 blood transfusions. I'm really debating the medical marijuana issue with her since none of her meds seem 2help. Am I a bad parent for that? I just want her to be able to live a somewhat normal life......
First of all I am so sorry to hear your daughter is ill, it must be so hard for you both but just be strong for her and things will get better.

This in no way makes you a bad parent, you are just desperate and willing to consider anything that would make your daughter feel better, a good parent would seem a better choice of words!

Whilst I would recommend Medical Marijuana for any adult with Crohn's, I don't know enough about it to suggest you try it with your daughter. Its psychoactive properties may not be good for such a young person. However I am not sure, so do a lot of research and talk to people about it. If you decided to go down that route then using the herb to cook with would be the best option, like making brownies using it. Think carefully and do your research.

Hope your daughter gets better soon, our prayers are with her

Keep us posted
04-03-2012, 07:51 AM   #122
QueenGothel

Sfong, I too thought about the same thing for my 4 Yr old DD. Seems like a better alternative than the morphine that they gave us an option for pain control. We didn't do either in fear of the stigma of mm and the side effects of the morphine. I don't think there is anything wrong with you wanting to help your kid with pain, stress, and appetite.

Here in Michigan in the US. We are a legal state. We can get her mm card with 2 doctors approving the use. I might be going down this road if needed also.

My best to you and yours. Take care.
04-28-2012, 11:13 PM   #123
Biek

I'm still waiting for Kansas to legalize medical use. I still use and it helps with nausea and increased appetite. As far as some people who have paranoia because of it. I think if you have anxiety already and smoke it just makes it worse. I've been smoking for many years though so I don't have much paranoia anymore. I function normally and people don't even notice that I've been smoking.
Small bowel resection in Aug 04. (18cm removed)
Small bowel resection in Aug 06. (26cm removed)
Previously on Remicade and Humira.
Currently on Cimzia 400ml/month.
05-03-2012, 02:58 PM   #124
rjmartins77

Sfong,

I am sorry to hear about the unfortunate events your little child has endured... Being diagnosed at the age of 12. I know what it's like to grow up with frequent trips to the hospital, flare ups, and Prednisone (which stunted my growth) The feeling of being trapped is a terrible one and neither you nor your child should have to feel that way...

Just an idea I thought of while thinking of your issue would be trying alternative route's of Cannabis. Let me go right off and say you are NOT a bad parent WHAT So EVER. Every bit of pain your child encounters, i'm sure it doubles in you.. But what I am getting at is their are things like Cannabutter, and Cannaoil that can be administered in edibles, and you can control how potent, and the type of flower you use..

If you look for the flower's with higher CBD count in them, they are more beneficial for the stomach. I don't want to get to far into it, only because there are boundaries to this talk, but just remember.... Every flower is different, and though they have beneficial properties, you can find one suited just for your needs.

I don't see a harm and creating a little batch of cookies to let your little one have, and see how it feels.

To me.... You are an even greater parent to look outside societies unrealistic laws and find a beneficial plan to help your child.

Hope everything takes a turn for the better.. and Please.. Keep us updated
05-03-2012, 04:35 PM   #125
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Try juicing raw cannabis. It will not get you high and supposedly works better than smoking.
05-07-2012, 02:46 PM   #126
irinamayers

Try juicing raw cannabis. It will not get you high and supposedly works better than smoking.
Yeah that's right
05-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #127
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Have you tried juicing Irina? I haven't, yet.
05-21-2012, 06:45 PM   #128
NancyHany

We don't have Marijuana in Egypt we do have Hashish which is illegal but still everyone uses it with little to no troubles with the law, over here its like an open secret. In the past before I got sick or diagnosed I only tried it occasionally but after the pain started I started to smoke it for pain relief and to my surprise it works wonders, it makes the pain less and makes it easier for me to go to the bathroom. Now I would mostly smoke some in the morning to handle my morning diarrhea pain and during bad cramps and some before I go to sleep to minimize the chance of waking up in pain in the middle of the night.

Nothing else worked with me, when I go to the hospital I'm given morphine which I hate cause it makes me more dizzy and it gives me a headache. The doctor tried to prescribe me Tramadol but I stopped him cause here in Egypt people widely abuse it, its the most addictive drug we have currently in Egypt, half of the population is addicted to it.
05-22-2012, 11:47 AM   #129
Paladin

To further muddy the waters, some sub-species of cannabis have levels of a newly discovered medical component known as THCV. Remember, israeli scientists only isolated THC as a compound in 1969 and no research of any type is allowed by American
Antidrug Treaties. The gov't routinely blocks access to the base substance material to any agencies which attempt to do research in fear that a positive result be published.

Subspecies high in THCV have been bred in Holland and California, one such variety is called 'Jack the Ripper' (silly/stupid names, i agree) The Chronic and Green Crack.

FWIW i have been able to avoid hospital stays and major flares for 3 years now while
ingesting medpot grow under my own federal license.

Would i give it to my own underaged kids? Too tough a question and one i hope to never have to deal with. Pain and suffering is horrible, imho anything that helps should be considered but legal implications need be considered as well.
05-22-2012, 11:53 AM   #130
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

Google "Simpson Oil" by Rick Simpson. He has a method for making the oil with many people curing terminal cancer.
05-24-2012, 09:14 PM   #131
JonnyBeGood

Hello hello all. I figured I would throw my two cents in as I am 25 years old and have been living with Crohn's since I was 18. Also, I was the recipient of a liver transplant just over three years ago so needless to say I've experienced some unpleasantries. To anyone struggling with their condition and are reluctant to try using cannabis I say cast your reservations aside and get yourself properly medicated with some marijuana. Without a doubt, bar none marijuana is the single best option for alleviating my Crohn's. When I experience my abdominal pain I can take 15mg of oxycodone and still be in pain all the while giving my liver a workout. A little bit of some quality medicine and I forget that I have intestines. The social stigmas associated with marijuana are preposterous. The fact that there is still a bit of a taboo surrounding is just absurd, the myths and misconceptions affiliated with marijuana are rooted in racism and economics. If you do not have a problem with consuming alcohol you should not even think twice about using marijuana. The difference is just staggering as alcohol is poison that ruins lives, families and communities. Remember prohibition? In my experience Bubba Kush works the best. Everyone is different just like with pain medications like opiates, different forms work differently for everyone but if your dealing with abdominal issues your going to want to stick to strains that are in the INDICA family. Those in that family are known for producing a narcotic "stoned" state as opposed to a more cerebral, psychedelic "high" feeling seen with strains in the SATIVA family. Great strains such as Sour Diesel, Green Crack, some of the haze strains may be better for recreation but not for relieving your symptoms. I would recommend pretty much anything in the Kush family including OG Kush which isn't actually a true kush. I also find that the purple strains are effective. Granddaddy Purple, a notorious strain here in New England is a good example. Aight, don't panic it's organic.
05-28-2012, 08:52 AM   #132
puppyipee

I have noticed some good signs from use... still need more time to figure it out tho.
05-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #133
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I would be a very happy camper if I had access to raw cannabis for juicing.

Hopefully someday
06-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #134
Paul Cronk

My Support Groups:
MM was the only thing that enabled me to eat during my undiagnosed year. Since then it has enabled me to look forward to my evening meal and relax afterwards even when the disease is active. It has certainly reduced my (still heavy) reliance on other medications. The great thing is it is not chemically addictive so it doesn't bother me if it is not there - except for the lack of the positive benefits it brings. If Remicade or Humira get me into full remission I won't need it. Don't drink alcohol, smoke cigarettes or do any non-prescription drugs, just want to be well.
06-12-2012, 02:58 PM   #135
JMB

Hi All,

Just came across this thread...in the midst of a bad flare (after 8 months of remission that came from starting 6mp last June). I am frustrated that the 6mp isn't working anymore and really do not want to be put on steroids again or moved to Remicade/Humira (both scare me more than 6mp does).

I am interested in trying to use MM as a supplemental treatment for my Crohn's symptoms (mostly frequent bloody, painful diarrhea). I have smoked pot socially/at parties here and there since high school but am hoping for some advice on how to transition to using it as a medicine with the best chances of helping my CD symptoms:
1. How much should you smoke? Usually one or two puffs gets me high. Don't want to get all paranoid but want to use enough to make a difference.
2. How often should you smoke? once per day? more?
3. What is the best method of ingestion? Sounds like vaporizing or ingesting is better than smoking. I have never even heard of vaporizing before reading these threads. Any advice would be appreciated.
4. What strain is best for CD?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated so I know how to get the best bang for my buck. I thankfully live in a state that has MM so am going to apply as soon as I can get my GI doc to sign off.
06-15-2012, 12:21 PM   #136
David
Co-Founder

Hi JMB,

Sorry you haven't gotten any answers. You may want to try in our medical marijuana forum which is more active than this thread.
06-15-2012, 02:30 PM   #137
JMB

Thanks David! Will do!
06-15-2012, 05:13 PM   #138
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
1. How much should you smoke? Usually one or two puffs gets me high. Don't want to get all paranoid but want to use enough to make a difference.
2. How often should you smoke? once per day? more?
3. What is the best method of ingestion? Sounds like vaporizing or ingesting is better than smoking. I have never even heard of vaporizing before reading these threads. Any advice would be appreciated.
4. What strain is best for CD?
1 - Don't smoke. Get a vaporizer or buy edibles. (Edibles are very strong so start off with taking tiny amounts until you know how you will react. Too much will make you wish you never ate any!)

2 - Don't overdo it. Do what is comfortable to you. When you use a vaporizer, depending on the type, one hit may be plenty.

3 - You are correct. A vaporizer and/or edibles are the best for your body. A vaporizer heats the plant material and releases the active compounds of the plant into vapors. It does not burn the plant so it is better for you.

4 - any strain that is higher in CBD's than THC. When you go into a dispensary they should be able to point you in the right direction.

06-21-2012, 06:37 PM   #139
Daddy P

Ran across this forum sometime ago and decided to join up on my wifes behalf.

She was diagnosed with Crohn's almost two years ago now. She has been fortunate to not need any surgeries, but the medications and domino effect from having Crohn's have wrecked havoc not just on her body, but what sense of normal family life we had.

She has since pretty much stopped taken medications and seems to have gotten a lot of control over her body again. She was constantly fainting, having dizzy spells, no appetite and up to recently a loss of sense of who she is anymore. She is by no means back to being regular though. The pain and diaherria still rear their ugly heads.

Here in AZ, there is still the ongoing attempt to get MMJ out there. It has been voted in to be used, but there are still goverement delays in getting it out there.

Quite a ramble for a first time post I suppose, but just wanted let people I know it's hard to deal with, and I do support the use of MMJ. From what I've read, it can only help, and I hope it becomes legal. I would like my wife to be happy again, she won't be cured, but at least we can have some normalcy back in our life when things finally fall into place.
06-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #140
finnegan

I live in a legal Cannabis state and have actually done a good deal of research on medicinal Cannabis. For those who are interested in this, a Cannabis Indica is usually the type that helps with stress and anxiety and also helps relax a person. Sativa is more for energy which can cause anxiety. If you live in a legal Cannabis place, get your authorization and talk to a Cannabis consultant or "bud tender" they really know their stuff.
07-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #141
jimmy8

I am thinking of trying MM. Are there any articles from the US discussing this?
07-15-2012, 04:44 AM   #142
TheyCallMeRC

Would just like to say that I have personally tried this method and received total relief from this. However, I do live in the bible belt (Georgia) and have wrote to my congressman many times regarding this to no avail. I am hopeful one day, but not anytime soon unfortunately.

If I was homebound, then I would consider taking this still, but I have a commercial drivers license and if I was ever in a major wreck where the other party was severely injured or killed, then I would have to take a drug test and since it stays in your system for so long then i just can't risk it.

I am happy for those that live where legal and just hope that in time it will expand because there are a lot of benefits for people with crohns and other diseases.
07-15-2012, 05:48 PM   #143
TheSaint3490

For you guys and gals that vaporize, how much MM do you use and how many times do you vaporize a day?
07-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #144
ctrl z
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I put maybe a teaspoon or two of finely ground MM in my vaporizer and I would typically vape twice a day. I keep the MM in the vaporizer until it turns golden yellow, then I save it to cook with.
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM   #145
bobbyearle

MJ is the only thing that's treated my symptoms (wonderfully). If my son (2) had UC that was symptomatically as challenging as mine, I would do whatever it took to get him MM. I would do edibles of VERY specific strains (feel free to email me as I know many strains that help. Simply getting some "bud" from a pot head or dealer is like going into a pharmacy and blindly picking pills. Many won't help, some will, and some will make it worse. I would start the dosage so low that it probably wouldn't work for a week, or so, as I SLOWLY increased the dosage. I would closely monitor all of his symptoms and his mental state for the rest of the day. Especially 20-90 minutes after eating and 8 hours following.

You can potentially treat your child's symptoms wonderfully with MM. Just be sure you don't MASK symtpoms 24/7. I did that like an idiot. Definitely need to be able to feel what's going wrong so if it works, just make sure there are plenty of breaks to pay attention to the symptoms (in case it gets worse).

If a parent can make their child feel better and take them OUT of something that a child should NEVER have to deal with, considering that option makes you a GREAT parent. I hope the best for your daughter. No child should have to deal with this -- and no parent should ever have to watch their child go through it. Fortunately, MM has the potential to really help the BOTH of you (her not go through so much discomfort, you not have to watch it so often).

Bobby
07-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #146
jimmy8

I would appreciate it if you would let me know the strains that you have found effective.
07-21-2012, 10:53 PM   #147
fitcrohny

I'm 27, diagnosed a year ago. i have recreationally used Marijuana for about 10 years now, and as i got older i began to use it more responsibly. I no longer smoke it, and i only vape using the volvano/and use a tincture made from the left overs. When i was first doagnosed i was 120 libs. I'm a personal trainer, so people naturally thought that i was always dieting and exercising really hard. Now with the proper medication/ dosages of those meds i;m just now getting things under control. I will say now that i've gotten my weight up to 155 lbs and i would say i owe a lot of the weight gain to the Marijauna. I exercise everyday, and the amount of calories i need to consume is difficult to maintain, the pot definitely helps. sometimes the pain is so unbearable and percoset takes the edge off, but does nothing for my appetite. unfortunately i do not live in a state where it is legal to possess, but at my age, i have not found it difficult to find. Now that i have CD i really have learned to respect the drug as a medicine rather than as a tool for recreational fun. I would highly reccomend experimenting with friends in a safe fun environment. If it helps....great...if not....at least you gave it a shot and got over the social propoganda that is associated with its usage. good luck fellow crohnies!
dx: CD feb 2012
10 mg prednisone
1 mg clonezapam
20 mg celexa
10/325 percoset prn for pain( usually 2/day)
1 volcano bag before each meal/or 15 drops tincture
no resections as of yet
07-25-2012, 11:41 PM   #148
TheyCallMeRC

Has anyone on here ever been prescribed or tried Marinol? Is it even still available and if so is it legal in states where MM isn't? I have tried doing a little research on it but can't find a lot. The stuff I did find some people said a lot of the properties that are in the real stuff are left out and so it's not as good. They also say that it is mainly prescribed to cancer patients. Just wondering if anyone here had anything good or bad to say about it.
07-26-2012, 12:38 AM   #149
JohnnyRottenAppleseed

I took it for a few days and didn't like it. It contains no CBD, just pure synthetic THC. Many of the medicinal properties of cannabis are in the CBD.

Marinol is available in all 50 states as far as I know, and is prescribed for nausea due to chemotherapy. It's not even worth it cost wise compared
To the whole plant. It's worth a try if you can't get buds.
07-26-2012, 03:33 AM   #150
bobbyearle

I would appreciate it if you would let me know the strains that you have found effective.
You bet

Insomnia: True OG and Fire OG never let me down. I have had insomnia for about 15 years and these work wonders for me. Many heavy indicas that put others to sleep only make me drousy. So I lay in bed tired -- but awake. These two are potent enough to knock me out. I have heard amazing things about Kosher Kush -- hope to try that soon. There are PLENTY of knock you out strains -- just depends on how knocked out you need to be in order to fall asleep

Appetite: I think this is too specific and depends on how awful your appetite is. I personally have had success with more strains ever since switching to my volcano vaporizer -- before that only a few helped (and helped very little) since my appetite was so poor. Before that, most indicas got me starving pretty quickly. I've been finding some strains recommended for people nearly wasting away on chemo -- so I'll be trying those out soon. If you (or someone) need(s) strong appetite help, let me know and I'll search for them again and post.

Hunger pain relief: I don't know about others, but I get nagging hunger pains constantly. Sometimes they are crippling and worse freak me out like kidney stones did. Used to only get them in the morning, but now it is constant. I use CBD strains mixed with Jack Herer during the day. This helps me a lot. Harlequin is my current CBD of choice. I never MASK the symptoms -- I only take breaks from them. Don't fall into the temptation to treat the symptoms 24/7 if MMJ works for you.

Inflammation: CBD strains are key for this. Harlequin, CBD rich ATF (not common in SD), Omrita rx3, cannotonic/cannatonic... CBD's also help me sleep LONGER (so my hunger pains don't wake me up) and help a lot with general discomfort all around. Definitely help my stomach pains. Sometimes completely relieves them.

Stressed: I had no clue how incredible MMJ could be for managing stress. I don't want to MASK my stress and act like it doesn't exist by getting stoned all day, but when you have a disease that is closely related to your stress levels, it can't hurt to take true stress breaks. I make sure that every other day, I have a solid hour to do nothing. Just sit, think of nothing, and laugh at something on TV. If it's during the day, I use Jack Herer. Makes me feel extra creative, more focused, and gives me energy. It does EXACTLY what Red Bulls claim to do (for me, at least). Most importantly, whatever was stressing me, just goes away. It's almost going on a fast to allow your digestive track a break. Same thing. The same way you let your guy check out during a fast, Jack Herer lets my stress level check out -- and an hour of that every other day is great for UC, imo. Usually, however, I do this at night (during the day when our son has his 2-3 hour nap) as I like to use the Fire OG, relax for an hour on the couch, and then fall asleep peacefully.

The awesome thing about the Fire OG is it allows you to fall asleep if you want OR stay up for an hour and relax. And since I think that CONSCIOUS relaxation time is important, I like to do that for an hour and then fall asleep stress free.

Have to go to bed now, but hope that little bit helps. Feel free to spell out your symptoms very specifically and if I know some strains to help, I'll update

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Medical Marijuana for Crohn's Disease and Ulcerative Colitis