• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bananas and strictures

Does any one else with strictures have problems eating bananas?

I was admitted into hospital a few months ago with a partial blockage after hardly being able to go to the toilet for a week before. At the time I had been eating a banana a day on work days for 2 weeks.

I've been eating a banana a day for the past 3 days and have realised that I've hardly been again in the past day or so and I'm wondering if this is a coincidence. Hmmmmmm.

Please share your experiences!

hawkeye

Staff member
I am on a low fibre diet for my strictures, bananas don't seem to bother me one way or the other. I usually have one a day.

Terriernut

Hi Misty...it's me Misty!

On my little sheet from the IBD nurse from our local good ol L&D hospital it says.....
Bananas slow output.

Along with rice, bread, cheese, yada yada yada.

Misty

Hi Misty-eyed,

Bananas absolutely block me up, and i love em !!

So I make banana bread/cake and its the business ! . . . so i get the goodness and don't have any issues from it

Thanks for the feedback everyone and for the info, misty... so basically everything else I'm allowed to eat! Haha. Plus you've reminded me that I need to write my signature we don't get confused lol.

It's just so annoying. Bananas are so easy to eat and are yummy! Taking an apple to work with an peeler is just a pain!

Thank god for laxatives is all I'm saying. Otherwise I'm sure I'd be back in the L&D already!

Terriernut

Let me know privately when you land there, and I'll come visit you. I will make you giggle and you will go in no time. I'm called the poo fairy after all!
:hallo3:
Misty

Haha, don't worry, I will!

I'll get my sister to bring you some of the banana bread she makes every Sunday to say thanks!

Terriernut

Pssst, Michelle...I really am a poo fairy. I cured my partner of chronic constipation. I am MAGIC.

Seriously though...beer helps to, erm, move things. Only a dab will do.

I look forward to banana bread, but I DONT look forward to you being in the L&D!!!

Can we please get some sexy looking Dr's in there? I mean puuulleeaasse!?

Misty

How did you do that??!?!

I can't drink beer though! It's so gassy and I find it impossible to burp! :( I used to use it as a good excuse to binge on alcohol at the weekend as that always helped. But it was very naughty of me and I don't do it anymore. *slaps my wrist*

Haha the surgeon that did my dilation wasn't too badly looking. He was portuguese. He turned into my hero the day after the procedure when he stroked my cheek and gave me a massive smile, despite what the dilation involved and er.. what came out of me right after he did the dilation. Luckily I was still under when it happened... but he told me while I was coming around. Crrrriinngggeee!!!

There's been some sexy Dr's at St Marks. Unfortunately I end up flirting with them.. fyi, flirting and talking about crohn's symptoms does NOT mix. Doh!

Terriernut

Michelle, you lucked out with a hotty there at the L&D. Sorry it was in that type of circumstance :eek:

When I suggested beer, I meant little wee sips and you dont need much!

Alternatively, come visit me. I am the poo fairy. Grays family always comes round when they are constipated. I have a gift :yrolleyes: Yes, a little bit of my energy or whatever it is, and off they go to the loo. "here misty, hold the baby, she's constipated" 10 minutes later...I hand her back...stinky little thing. Same with everyone else. Actually I'm not sure if that is a gift or a curse! :yfaint:

Misty

lol ok, I shall try that next time! If it gets too bad, then I'm going to the L&D via yours!

Haha that makes me think of the skittles advert. No wonder you have so much D yourself!

All solid fruit gives me stomach ache immediately, so I don't eat any of it. So much for "healthy eating" eh?:)

Fruit juice, however, seems fine...must be the lack of fibre!

Hi MistyEyed!

Hiya Misty! I really hate to say this but...OMG! lol!
The first stricture I ever had (which led to what I call "the big blowout") was caused by a banana! Really! I would eat a banana at work a couple of days a week, but one day I ate one and about an hour later severe stomach pains. 3 days later, THE BIG BLOWOUT! lol. 3 perforations of my small intestine - ugh!

So my crohns doc told me, hey Rae, just don't eat bananas. I've looked into it too and because of the consistency and my small intestine not being able to break down most fruits and veggies, it makes sense not to eat them. I'm tempted occasionally when I make a fresh banana cream pie...yum! but I resist the urge, usually. haha! However, banana bread I looooooooove! for some reason it has no effect on the blow out meter. Or if I get really desperate and don't feel like making a -from scratch- banana bread I do also make what I call, "Ghetto banana bread" LOL. That yellow cake mix with about 2 over ripe bananas, and voila! Its really easy on the stomach, intestines and any crohns spots that I have active. Most of all it doesn't effect the BM's at all for me.

Good luck with the banana thing Misty, be careful, and I hope for the best for you! Take care!:goodluck: