• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

It all began 40 years ago......

Hello to everyone. I am so thankful to have found this forum. I started with symptoms of crohn's when I was 13, but wasn't diagnosed until I was 21, when I was hospitalized with severe, constant back pain for over a year. I went to every doctor imaginable (including GI) who could not find anything amiss. Some suggested psychiatric help. Finally, I went to an orthopedic surgeon who hospitalized me (5 weeks) and was detemined to find out what was wrong and they finally discovered a huge retroperitoneal abcess. At 29 I had a resection of the terminal ileum and cecum, which had ruptured before the surgery. My husband was told they didn't expect me to live because the peritonitis was so severe and I was septic. But I pulled through (another 5 weeks in the hospital) and have been fairly stable with about 4-6 flare-ups a year. I'm still in the bathroom 8-10 times a day but this has been my life for so long that it is my normal. Recently I've been having more flare-ups and feeling lousy. My doctor put me on 6-MP with no good results--I think I feel worse. I have numerous times where I have to rush to find the nearest bathroom--as many of you know--the WORST feeling. Anyway, I will be trying Humira but am also on Celexa and was wondering if anyone also on Celexa found their symptoms of Crohn's to become worse while taking it. Hope to correspond with many of you on this site in the future!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Toni and welcome! Yes, I hate having to dash to the bathroom! I always fear one day I will not be so lucky to find one nearby.

I am sorry 6MP hasn't been helping. How long have you been on it? I sure hope Humira will do the trick. Keep us posted!

PS - Where in NJ are you? I grew up in rural Monmouth County, around the corner from Great Adventure.

ameslouise

Hi Toni and welcome!

I was on Celexa for a couple of years and didn't find that it made my Crohn's any worse, but I was so bad at the time, I don't think I would have noticed! I only recently came off and I think I am going to go back on - my fuse has just gotten shorter and shorter. It really helped me keep from flipping out over every little thing.

Hope the Humira helps! Good l uck - Amy

Hi Toni and welcome! Yes, I hate having to dash to the bathroom! I always fear one day I will not be so lucky to find one nearby.

I am sorry 6MP hasn't been helping. How long have you been on it? I sure hope Humira will do the trick. Keep us posted!

PS - Where in NJ are you? I grew up in rural Monmouth County, around the corner from Great Adventure.
Hi Jill--and thanks for replying. I live in Middletown! Have been on the 6MP for 6 months and am thinking about going on Cymbalta

Hi Toni and welcome!

I was on Celexa for a couple of years and didn't find that it made my Crohn's any worse, but I was so bad at the time, I don't think I would have noticed! I only recently came off and I think I am going to go back on - my fuse has just gotten shorter and shorter. It really helped me keep from flipping out over every little thing.

Hope the Humira helps! Good l uck - Amy
Thanks, Amy. I think I am going to try Cymbalta. Has Humira worked well for you?

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hmmm, yeah, I think you'd see if 6MP was working within six months. Again, I hope Humira does wonders for you!

Hello Toni and welcome to the forum!! :)
You will find a lot of useful information here
and plenty of friends to exchange ideas etc., with.

Once again welcome! :rosette2:
Hugs~Nancy