Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Just got a juicer - any ideas?

06-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #31
sunluvva

Thanks MissSpencer - I hadn't thought of that - to be honest I probably wont but it's good to know it's an option!

Re wheatgrass, you can also get it frozen - they claim it's as good as fresh as it's harvested and frozen immediately, I tried it, I didn't get the same energy 'buzz' from it but it was just as good for my stomach. http://www.livewheatgrass.co.uk/ this is the company I got it from - the service was good and it was delivered in an insulated box.

If you don't have a masticating juicer you will need a manual juicer which is great for any other fruit & veg & a bit handier to take on holiday with you if you are going abroad.
06-04-2011, 04:25 PM   #32
Miss Spencer

Re wheatgrass, you can also get it frozen - they claim it's as good as fresh as it's harvested and frozen immediately, I tried it, I didn't get the same energy 'buzz' from it
You can also get pre-bottled juice, and in a freeze dried powder form too.

But freshly harvested and juiced is REALLY the only way to go nutrient wise.

I only ever get a buzz from the fresh stuff, because it is still living and growing when you cut it for juicing.

It is the life energy force of the plant that gives you the buzz.

The life energy force is basically dead in frozen, pre-bottled juice and freeze dried powder form.
06-05-2011, 06:06 AM   #33
sunluvva

Totally agree with MissSpencer - any kind of processing will reduce the nutrient content of any fruit or veg. Think of it like this - you've got 2 identical apples, you eat one fresh and one cooked then plant the seeds. The fresh one will be able to grow into a new apple tree but the cooked on is dead and can't produce anything except mould. Which is best for your body?

The fresh one will feed your body because it is still living, the cooked one will rot. This is true for any foodstuff.
07-03-2011, 06:24 PM   #34
tek254

I just ordered a Breville 1000 watt juice extractor. I wanted a masticating juicer, but as stated before, the price was an obstacle. The reviews for this particular juicer where great, plus it has the two speeds (higher speeds means higher temp and less benefit of juice). It can handle the greens but the company suggest adding some fruit to make it easier. Should be here in a few days. Will let you know how it works. It will get high usage with one crohner and two IBS gals in the house. Used to have a black and decker but that lasted about a month. If this works good, will save up for the big-time machines (they can exceed $2k).

On a side note, does anyone who juices order on line or go to a organic shop? Really want to try the wheat grass but limited in options near home.
07-08-2011, 03:59 PM   #35
Madcat

Love the idea of using the carrot pulp to make a salad!! I normally throw the pulp into my organic compost heap, but I might experiment with it from now on!!
08-10-2011, 09:57 PM   #36
dahlfacepoet
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
My boo and I spent our last 30 bucks on a used juicer a friend was selling. Way better than the 80 plus we were going to have to save for (that's how low funds are).
We love it. Have had it for 3 days and I just love it.
What are your favorite things to juice?
So far we are sticking to celery, carrot, apple and pear, until we get back to the store, that is.
I know it's not a fancy juicer, but it does the job, for now.

dahlface
08-10-2011, 10:24 PM   #37
ThanksP

I bought my Breville a week ago and I'm addicted! My favorite so far was Carrot, Sweet potato, and ginger. I was so skeptical of the sweet potato but it almost made it like a milkshake. So sweet and so smooth. And I had energy like I was on Prednisone!

Another of my faves was apple, beet, and celery.

I juice spinach, celery, apples, beets (only one at a time), parsley, apples, oranges, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, bell peppers, ginger...you name it. Veggies are the best, just add an apple (or any fruit) to sweeten it. I usually start with a base of carrots and go from there.

Oh, and carrot, orange, and cucumber is excellent!

I've been keeping a juice journal so if I come across a great concoction I have it written down already. And I can weed out the bad ones...but I haven't made a bad one yet.

I'm going to start adding a little cabbage or broccoli to the mix too. I'm so happy with my juicer, I use it twice a day and feel better than I have in a longgggggg time!

Edited to add: if you use beets, only use one medium to small size per drink. Too much beets at one time can cause dizziness and fever. And be warned, it makes everything red coming out the other end But they are SOOOOOO good for you!!!!
08-10-2011, 10:31 PM   #38
dahlfacepoet
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
how much ginger do you use? Also the juice journal is a great idea!
08-11-2011, 08:51 AM   #39
ThanksP

I use about an inch or so, just cut directly off the funky looking root. But I'm going to start using a little more because I can just barely taste it. I like a strong Ginger taste.

The fresh Ginger root lasts forever if put in a ziploc and stored in your fridge.
09-26-2011, 02:59 PM   #40
mrh0169

Hey, you should check out the movie Fat,Sick & Nearly Dead (2010). I watched it on netflix instant and it was entirely about juicing and it's positive effects on the body. If i had a juicer or could find one in a bargain like you did I would be all over juicing like this movie shows. Hope this helps!
09-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #41
tek254

What a good movie. They are using a Breville. I juice at least once a week, mainly fruit. My kids love it because then they start to mix with varying results. I bought the " Crohns and Colitis Diet Guide as well as a juice book. Good ideas but mainly repeating what we already know. I love my berry blend. Rasberry, Blueberry, Cherry, Strawberry, and banana.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Juicing » Just got a juicer - any ideas?