• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Steamed Chicken Breast Again

So I dont know. I might be feeling crappy, but honestly, I dont really know. See, the thing is, Ive only known Ive had CD for the last ten days or so. Before that all these symptoms were annoying sure, but not something that ever really held me back. Til I found myself in intensive care in hospital with my first 'flare?? I dont know, I might have had flares before but nothing like this.

Ive been writing down everything I eat, drink, poo, bloat, cramp, or whinge about and nothing really seems to be doing anything 'bad' to me. I mean, sure, Ive had bloating and cramping and pain and stuff but its always been there, for as long as I can remember, I dont feel much different now than I did 3 months ago.

Two months ago was a whole different story, not only did I think I was dying, I actually wanted to, anything to stop the pain and the poo.

I heard steamed chicken was good, so after feelin what I would call rather normal for a couple of days, Ive decided to go back to nothin but apple juice and steamed chicken with rice or pasta like they gave me in hospital.

I still cant steam it nice and juicy, I must be doing it too long.

I made some really good baked chicken, it sorta tasted steamed. Im not sure if this will help you but I will tell you what I did anyways.. because it was DELICIOUS :D

In a baking dish I sprayed the bottom with a little olive oil and set the chicken in the dish. I drizzled alittle olive oil on top and sprinkled with Mrs. Dash chicken (smells so good) and I put foil on top and baked it in the oven for 30 min drained the juiced and put it back in for 15-20 minutes more. (baking at 400) The chicken came out so juicy and moist.

I know its not what you were looking for but when you feel better try it. Youll love it :D hehe

rygon

Have u tried boiled chicken? If u boil it in a sauce then it takes on that flavour as well. Homemade chicken soup is great as well. Another way is marinading the chicken to help break it down before cooking

Marinade it in a mix of soy sauce and honey... and a drop of lemon juice... It'll taste paleatable, and sweet. But it shouldn't take away from the "blandless" too much...

I actually have recently made peace with steamed chicken breast. toast with creamcheese, yogurt and pudding. mainly cause i have such bad heart burn and it can be so soothing it eat.

I like my steamed chicken with a seasoning called Zatar which is a middle eastern spice (also good on yogurt) it gives it alittle flavor but doesn't give it any spice or things that agitate. if i am being exciting some lemon slices on top instead of the zatar. no garlic or olive oil for me.

I cook make an aluminum foil "bag" and put it in. and bake it for 25 min at 325 or so. some times i add some green beans or zucchini. Careful when opening because there will be a lot of hot "juice". it will be very white don't be scared.

Personally boiled chicken is no good, it makes me sad. but if the chicken is steamed right it can actually be very tasty.
Good luck.

rygon

If u have a wok u could also get a bamboo steamer. Adding herbs to the water will transfer the taste to the chicken

I have found animal proteins like meat, to be extremely detrimental.

Chicken, no matter how cooked, started to cause me extricating pain, cramping and wind about three years ago.

Although I conclude that steamed would be better than fried.

Which is a shame because I simply adore chicken. Or did.

Rice and wheat-pasta also irritate me, so thank goodness I was not in your hospital trying to recover from a flare.

In fact, all the foods my doctor recommended to me, have since been found to be detrimental :(

Thank goodness I found an excellent naturopath who knows what she is talking about. I have really improved in leaps and bounds under her dietary advice and supplement regime.

My symptoms have only improved since I started a wheat-free vegan diet.

Trial and error I am afraid. And what is OK now, may not be in five years time.

sorry Miss Spencer vegan and wheat free seem bad news, you should check out Isa Chandra Moskowitz cookbooks.

I never thought of using my bamboo steamer for chicken. that so exciting.
Last night i made a chicken boiled in cocoanut milk, it was like a curry for people who can't eat normaly. it was good and easy on my stomach.