• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Undiagnosed

Hi there,
I'm not 100% sure I have Crohn's, but I am pretty sure I do. I am hoping to get some tests done soon because I can't take much more. My whole life is affected by my stomach problems, and it has been since I was about 5. Doctors never treated me as a child because they thought I was just nervous and wanted to go home sick all the time. Please read my story and tell me what you think!

I have assumed I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome, but now I'm not sure if it is more severe- Crohn's. I have alternating diarrhea and constipation, depending on the day. My stomach could turn on me in seconds, whether I just ate or didn't. There are so many foods I avoid because of the pain, but lettuce doesn't seem to digest well at all. Sometimes my stomach will be in excruciating pain where I can't even stand up. Usually using the restroom for a while will take the pain away. It is an instant, must go right now, pain. I am allergic to dairy products (actually allergic, not just lactose intolerant). I can't have red meat or certain veggies (which I thought was an IBS thing). Stress really triggers my stomach problems. Before I go to work my stomach usually gets upset and I can use the bathroom, then be fine for the day. Sometimes it doesn't work that way and I feel like I could go to the bathroom 20 times a day. For anxiety the doctor put me on Xanax and it takes away the spasming, but it doesn't always work. This doesn't fully explain how bad my stomach pain is and how often these weird pains come, but does anyone else have this who have been diagnosed with Crohns? I have abnormal paps almost every time and they don't know why.

please help and thanks for reading! any advice is appreciated. I'm going to go to the dr. as soon as insurance switches over.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi kikistobwin and welcome! Your symptoms sound to align with IBS (alternating diarrhea and constipation, ab pain, relief after using the bathroom), but these symptoms can be present with Crohn's, as well. Therefore, testing is needed to be sure there are no changes/inflammation in the bowel; that is the true indicator for IBD. To get a true picture of what is going on inside, you should have a colonoscopy and/or endoscopy done. These tests aren't very fun, but they will be the best way to give you the answers you need. Keep us posted!

Its really hard to diagnose stomach issues. It could be many things thats why its important to get tests done. I had a colonoscopy with one doctor in 2006 and he didn't even follow up with me just said i had the warning signs of ibs. Well fast forward to 2011 and i had another colonoscopy after going to the hospital for a blockage. They found thickening and inflammation in my colon and diagnosed me with crohns. Now when i first started having symptoms i had dirrehea/constipation/fissures. The dirrehea/constipation went away and then i started having bad stomach cramps in 2008-09. Had mucus in my stool and it didn't really matter what I ate nothing makes it worse or better except to much caffine makes me have to run to the bathroom. Best thing to do is go to a gastroentrologist and have a colonoscopy.

Hello kikistobwin and welcome to the forum!I have to agree with xJILLx. I have been a crohnie for 16 years. Never once expierinced constipation unless of course i ate nuts,raisens,peas, and green beans. There are more I just can't think of them right now. Oh yeah and chips of any kind. They dont seem to digest right with me. But like you said after using the bathroom it did relieve some of the pain but not all...I have had abnornal paps in the past and they would always say it was a bacterial infection. Which i assumed it was cause of my Crohn's. You deffinatly need to get the colonoscopy/and endoscpy done as soon as you can....As for using the bathroom 20 times a day they make over the counter immodium...I'm not telling you to get it I am just saying thats what I use when I know I am going to be out and about for a while...cause it never fails when i go to wal-mart...it's like my bowels are saying..." ok girls, lets let her get all the way to the back of the store and then BAM make her run all the way to the front to use the bathroom"...lol Good Luck and please keep us updated!

P.S colonoscopies are not as bad as they sound...they do put you to sleep while the process is being done...or they so here in sc.

Thank all of you for the feedback. You gave me the push to call around and get exact answers from the insurance company. I found an in network dr. that can do the colonoscopy, i just have to see if I can schedule it when my husband can take me. I appreciate all of your help! I'm nervous to get the actual procedure done, but finding out what has been wrong with me for so long is going to be AMAZING!

ameslouise

Hi Kiki and welcome!

Good luck with the colonoscopy, but be PATIENT. Many, many Crohnies have clean colonoscopies. For many of us, activity is mostly in the small intestines - which you need a pill cam or small bowel follow thru to see.

I would also recommend a full panel of bloodwork -including iron levels - to make sure you are not low on any vitamins or minerals.

Good luck! - Amy

Hi Kiki,

What you describe sounds exactly like the symptoms I was experiencing, but it wasn't until I had a colonoscopy that I was diagnosed with Crohn's. As Amy said, it is not always as straightforward as that though, but is a great start.
Good luck, we all understand what those feelings are like and they are AWFUL!
Take care,
Olivia.

Astra

Hiya Kiki
and welcome

Good luck with the scopes, hope you find the answer to all your problems
lotsa luv
Joan xxx