• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Different symptom

B

bk1579

different symptom

Hello, I was wondering if throwing up is a normal symptom of IBD? I've been doing very well since I've been diagnosed, but this morning I woke up to a yucky feeling stomach and had "D" and vomiting. Wasn't sure if it is from the IBD or something I had eaten before bed or maybe even a stomach bug. I've felt much better over the course of the day, but curiosity got the best of me. Just wanted to ask some of you what your opinion was.

O

old hat

Nausea and vomiting are fairly common symptoms. Also, some of the medications prescribed for IBD can cause nausea.

B

bk1579

Thanks Old Hat. Now I know that it is common, but i do believe I had a bug or something. Two people that works with my husband had it the last couple of days, so I feel sure that is what it was.

H

HostileJava

Being sick on top of a flair up really sucks, however when I'm not feeling very well I sometimes feel like vomiting shortly after eating.

O

old hat

bk1579 said:
Thanks Old Hat. Now I know that it is common, but i do believe I had a bug or something. Two people that works with my husband had it the last couple of days, so I feel sure that is what it was.
That could very well be the case. There's no way for me to know one way or the other. The list of things that could possibly cause nausea is...extensive.

Kev

Yeah, pinning down the root cause of nausea when you have a form of IBD/Crohns is pretty much needle in a haystack.. and the needle has an expiry date. Theres' the disease itself, the complications associated with it, the variety of meds, their interactions with other meds and various food items, so on.. Then there is the subject of your diet, either routine, restricted or perhaps some items YOU know you shouldn't... but give into cause you are human, and feeling 'blah'. Then there are the meds.. are you taking immuno suppressors? and theres a bug on the go at hubby's work? Could that be it? Bet your ever loving... Alarm bells are part & parcel of this illness.. but when you hear hoofbeats, don't immediately expect to see a stampede of zebras... it could happen, but horses are more likely.
Take your symptoms in context.. Are they prolonged? Can you rough associate them with foods, drugs, other indulgences? Or is it cold/flu or allergy season? you can jump at every little thing... but living in that state of perpetual worry or stress isn't healthy in and of itself.. Keep a diary, note what's going on, when and why, and take it with you on your next visit to the doctor. discuss it with him/her, and let them do the worrying. After all, it's not like they can cure this crohns anyway.. Not to be trite.. you do have to fight this disease, just cut it short of turning it into a 'suicide' mission.. Anyway, all of the best, hope you are feeling better soon.

R

ReeRee

Yep, I never know if I have a tummy virus, or a flare. For me, there's no way to tell the difference..lol.