Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Lottes surgery

05-25-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
lotte26

Lottes surgery

Hey guys it's Andrew , charlottes boyfriend. Just writing to let you know that the surgery went well. And it was a bit different than expected though. She now has a colestomy instead of a eleostomy as they took out a lot of small intestine. They also found some endometriosis. She has not been in too much pain, just like really bad period pain, touch wood. Thank you for supporting charlotte, it has made her more positive.

Cheers
Andy

-Charlotte

Crohn's disease since 2002, with multiple fistulae

25 May '11 : colostomy formed, 70cm bowel removed + 50cm ileum removed.

16 October 2015 - open parastomal hernia surgery to be performed

Past Failed Meds: Pentasa, azathioprine, methotrexate, Humira.

Current Meds: Humira, azathioprine, fluoxetine, Brevinor, Fish oil, melatonin
05-25-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
vickyoddsocks
wears odd socks

Good to hear shes feeling well! Bit of a suprise shes got a colostomy, maybe thats better, im not sure. Send her my reguards! And we all cant wait to hear what she alls him! Hope she can get the endometriosis sorted too.
Good luck on the recovery lotte, and thanks for updating us Andy!
x
05-25-2011, 04:46 PM   #3
bruscar

Good on ya Andrew, regards to charlotte, delighted all went to your satisfaction.
05-25-2011, 05:16 PM   #4
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
Thanks Andy :-) you must be relieved. Give her lots of gentle hugs and kisses from me too. All the best to you both.
Helen xxx

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
05-25-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
MADiMarc

My Support Groups:
Glad all is well.
05-25-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
ameslouise

Thanks for posting, Andy, and letting us know Lotte is doing well so far!

Give her a big hug from all of us here and tell her to take it easy and get well soon!!

xo - Amy
05-25-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Nyx

My Support Groups:
Thanks for letting us know Andy...pass my regards on to her. Hope she has a gentle, uneventful recovery

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

05-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
CDDad

Hi Andy,
That is good news - I'm glad she is doing well. Please give her my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
On Protonix and Humira.
05-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #9
lotte26

Hey guys it's lotte here. Totally zonked so can't type ,much
Thanks so much for the hugs and well wishes.
I got up and had a shower, but it was bloody agony getting up. But feel so much better after the shower. I am really knackred
05-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #10
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
Best of luck to you on your recovery !
and Austin (18)
DX: Crohn's 7/2013
05-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #11
tiloah

My Support Groups:
Glad to hear it went well! Keep us posted and get some rest and get better.
05-26-2011, 04:09 AM   #12
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Glad the surgery went well Charlotte. May you have a speedy and uneventful recovery.

Up and in the shower already! Well done you!

Misty
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
05-26-2011, 05:20 AM   #13
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hope you get better soon!!! Glad it went ok

'You can't change the past but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future.'

Diagnosed with Crohn's colitis aged 9, 1992.

Panproctocolectomy and terminal end ileostomy October 2011.
05-26-2011, 06:00 AM   #14
Astra

My Support Groups:
Speedy recovery Charlotte!
Get well soon and keep moving! Having a shower is a good sign
xxxx

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

05-26-2011, 06:02 AM   #15
Welsh-bird

My Support Groups:
Way to go Charlotte- up and about so soon after surgery!
Hope thing's continue to go well, and wishing you a speedy recovery.
And xx

Diagnosed UC 1999, Re Dx'd CD April 2011, Gastritis Dec 2010.
Resection Jan 2011, Total Colectomy 18.03.2011
Hoping to get a break sometime soon......
05-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
lotte26

Hello lovely people. Sorry if this is hard to decipher I am not so great at typing on iPhone or iPad at the mo. Everything is going pretty good, I can't wait to fart or poo so I can have some fluids Ns food in to mee. It was lucky they could save some of my colon, as it wasn't all flared. Plus I am glad to have a more low maintenance colostomy. I haven't even read up about those yet! Hmm mum promised me today that she would shout me to Harry potter land! Which made me
Extremely happy I'll have something awesome to loook forward to after all this. Do you think 6 months is too fast to go on holiday or perhaps should I wait longer?
I think my bag is stating to get some air in ot yay$
Anwau enough of my slurry gibberishzzzb
05-26-2011, 10:24 AM   #17
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
6 months should be plenty of time for you to recover enough to go on holiday! By then you will feel like a million. It is really the first 4-8 weeks that are the worst. (the first 2 weeks are absolutely the worst)

As for you not having an ileo, better for you I would think! Kuhl!!

Misty
05-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #18
lotte26

It's crazy here too? For a colostomy here in nz they supply 3 1 pieces a day but for an ileostomy only two a week. It's so wierd tho they don't
Like people using two pieces ! They say its old fashoind...I thought it would be More irritated changing a bag 3 times a Day yowza! Lol. Ergh can't sleep waiting for them
To top up my phentinal (I think) as I used it all. Bloody sore hmmm thanks guys again for your awesomeneS!
05-26-2011, 10:56 AM   #19
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Old fashioned using two pieces?? Shows what non ostomates know! I'm trying all the two pieces now, and it's SO MUCH BETTER than a one piece!

And less supplies for ileo's? WTF? With a more liquid output, they need more supplies.

Well Charlotte, one way or the other you're gonna be fine!

Misty
05-26-2011, 11:06 AM   #20
Nyx

My Support Groups:
A fellow colostomate!! I think you'll find your ostomy fairly easy to take care of, and keep in mind that they're bigger than an ileostomy too, so don't freak out when you hear all the ileostomates talking about their dainty stomas...lol When you can, get the ostomy companies to send you samples of 2 piece appliances, they're much easier to maintain. Also, if you can, get liners for your bag - they eliminate the need to wash your bag out every time you fill it. They're great, you just put the liner inside your bag, and when you want to change it, just whip it out and flush it. They're the best thing ever invented....even better than sliced bread....lol

If you have any colostomy questions, feel free to message me So glad to hear that you're doing well...I hope your recovery continues to be uneventful!
05-26-2011, 01:43 PM   #21
Ari

Hi Charlotte. Glad all went well and and hope you continue to get better.

Hugs,
05-26-2011, 03:41 PM   #22
DustyKat
Super Moderator

YAY lotte! You're on the other side and sounding fab! I am so happy that all has gone well mate and I hope you have a speedy and very uneventful recovery...

Dusty. xxx
05-29-2011, 12:21 AM   #23
lotte26

Hello guys!
4 days since my op and I am feeling Great! I can't believe it (touch wood).
My healing is going so well my bum looks "perfect" as my surgeon said, and my catheter and drains were taken out today! I am also off the hard drugs and oxygen! I am finally allowed soups and jelly. I'm guessing tomorrow I'll be able to eat mushy foods which will be heaven! My stoma hasnt passed wind yet and only a tiiiny amount of stool, but it's growling and wiggling so it can't be far off. I've been up and walking and is a ton better than when I had a drain. This pain is already better than crohns so I highy recommend it to someone who is in terrible condition and are scared of the pain of surgery.
I do keep getting phantom wind or poo feelings, like when I needed to wee I felt like pooing as well. And I keep feeling like I need to fart out my non bum.
Anyway I want to say a positive attitude can go so far with surgery as I am feeling great. I am literally shocked at how good I feel... I hope I won't jinx it by saying this.
Anyway I am going to go and think about my upcoming soup. Mmmm.

Xxxxx
05-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #24
lotte26

Oh also, I LOVE my stoma he's so pretty! I just don't know what to name it!! Any suggestions?
05-29-2011, 12:37 AM   #25
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Charlotte, there's a thread called 'name my stoma' on here somewhere.

But, get to know his personality first. Then a name will come to you!

Glad you are feeling good. Dont over do on the soup!

Misty
05-29-2011, 03:05 AM   #26
lotte26

Blehhhh I totally dug myself a hole there, now my guts feels like it's bulging with bricks, I think I over did it today... Or maybe it's just remembering how to work. I can tell you this, when I saw andys hospital sandwiches I nearly cried I soo wanted them. My soup was cold and tasted like ass. Oh well... Hopefully foods tomorrow and wind tonight ,
05-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #27
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Glad you're doing well Charlotte! So how come you had a colostomy rather than ileostomy in the end? I didn't quite understand it earlier. Is it just because there was some areas of your colon that wasn't inflamed so they saved those bits because a colostomy is less maintenance or because they just wanted to save as much as they could?

Also, don't think I'd like those phantom feelings you've been getting! I get so frustrated when I want to get rid of some wind and can't!! Was it just a weird feeling or was it really unpleasant?

Anyway, keep up with the good recovery. I hope you get to eat something decent soon!
05-29-2011, 08:05 AM   #28
lotte26

Hey misty!
I actually had the option in the beginning to get a colostomy, but I decided on an ileostomy as we thought we might as well do it all in one. The whole lrg intestine was patchy with crohns but I was mostly getting rid of it due to the multiple fistulas. They did a ct scan the day before and found that a lot more of the small intestine was inflamed than they thought (500mm), and that saving part of the large intestine would help with absorption, and be a bit less risky I guess? Anyway the only major thing that put me off a colostomy is the fact that they sew you up inside and you have risks of leakage. I am bloody glad I have one though as it's on the side I never lie on and it is less maintenance.

05-30-2011, 06:48 AM   #29
Misty-Eyed
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Ah ok. I just ask because I'm seeing the surgeon at the end of July and I'm trying to predict what he's going to want to do with me lol. One GI told me that I would just need a resection with 30% of a bag and the latest GI I saw said to just take the whole colon out. I can't stand this not knowing! I want to get my head around it.

I'm glad it works better for you though. I don't think the side would make that much difference to me as I lay on both sides. DOH!
05-30-2011, 11:33 AM   #30
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Michelle I lay on both sides!! Stan doesnt mind at all.

Hopefully you will get an answer soon. The waiting must be awful.
Misty

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Lottes surgery