• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's support?

Hi everyone,

My name is Kristy and I was diagnosed in 2009 with Crohn's of the small bowel and terminal ileum. I started having symptoms at age 18 and was finally diagnosed (after many misdiagnoses) at 25. I've since had a gallbladder removal surgery and a small bowel resection. I'm in remission now, and have made some major life changes to get to this point.

I'd like to be able to 'talk' with others with this disease - in 'real life' I know no one who suffers from Crohn's. I have an amazing family and support system but no matter how great, they can never understand living with a chronic illness (i.e. the constant lack of control over symptoms or disease process).

I have some questions about current treatments and such, but mostly just wanted to join to have a place where other people 'get it'.

Thanks!

Kristy

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Kristy and welcome! That is great news that you are in remission! What life changes have you made to help keep yourself well?

There is lots of good information on the forum to help you keep up on the latest info on IBD, especially treatment. Make yourself at home and fire away with your questions!

Astra

Hiya Kristy
and welcome

Yeah we 'get it'!
Lots of friends here for you, any questions fire away!
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks you all for your thoughts and replies! I will ask my Liadla-related question over in the treatment forum.

And, Jill, as for lifestyle changes, I've made some big ones in the last two years ;) Before Crohn's (shall we call it B.C.? ;) I'd never eaten a green veggie or a salad and my general day consisted of McDonald's for lunch and Pizza Hut for dinner. I smoked, didn't exercise and wasn't all that concerned about toxins in my environment. I was thin, I considered myself to be generally healthy and I never really thought about the effects things had on my body.

Now, in addition to medical treatments prescribed by my GI, I've given up gluten, wheat, dairy, and corn, have expanded my diet to include anything green and good, and I haven't eaten from fast food places in 8 months. I exercise, work from home, and try to conscious all the time of what I eat and what toxins I am exposed to. Sometimes it's plain exhausting, but I do feel much better for it. Having Crohn's is like balancing on a high wire for me - if I make one small wrong move (like eating something I can't tolerate), I'll fall off.

If I can say one good thing about Crohn's (which generally I can't and don't) it's that I really have been on path to treat my entire body and I've really changed my thinking on a lot of important topics.

Thanks again!

Kristy

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
That's great Kristen! :D I recently quit smoking for my health and the health of my wallet and am also eating less carbs, mainly cause I want to lose some weight. Sometimes I eat my trigger foods but they only affect me for a little while rather than having to start all over. I'm in remission too. :D