• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ostomy Supply Review

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
I don't have an ostomy yet, however by this time next month I will.

I've noticed that the reviews and opinions are all over the place, but no one stop shopping.

Can we make a compendium f what people liked and didn't like of the things they tried? It would be a big help to use newbs.

Nyx

I tried Hollister (the worst one for me...didn't like anything about it), Convatec (just didn't fit right), and I currently use Coloplast SenSura, which is the best for me because the flange is plastic and stays on even when it gets wet. I also like how the bag locks onto the flange so I never worry about it coming off. I just started using the non-drainable bags, and I'm liking them so far! I just turn them inside out to clean them at the end of the day.

I also use colomagic liners inside my bag - best invention ever! Clean up is easy and can be done in public washrooms and you don't need water or a squirt bottle to do it either.

That's been my experience so far. I have no experience with rings or paste or powders, as I've been really lucky to not have leakage or skin issues.

Hope this has been helpful!

Terriernut

Its really going to depend on how your stoma is as well Vonfunk. All of our little babies are different.

I'm in the process of trialing all sorts of products right now. But I will say this, the first few weeks may not be a good time to try products out as no doubt you will still be a bit swollen.

Currently awaiting trail: Coloplast Sensura Click, Coloplast Sensura Flex (my fav so far), Hollister Conform 2, Hollister 25335 (dont know what its called!), Dansac Nova Life 2, Convatec Esteem.

They all have different sized bags, and all mine are drainable because I have an illeostomy and my poo is very fluid.

I can say one go with the Convatec Esteem was enough...within an hour the paper like adhesive was shot, the only thing holding anything on was my seal!

I'll report further as the trial continues.

Misty

LOSTnut

Poopy
I agree with Misty --
the stoma itself make a whole lotta difference. Mine is slanting, nearly retracting below the skin on one side. Therefore I had huge problems with my Ileo output seeping underneath, making the appliance come off constantly, irritating the skin :(.

I do not use any paste or powder, only water to clean the area and the sticky wipe. To heal the skin when it is irritated I use the skin barriers. Hollister's is a little thick for my taste and I prefer the ConvaTec thin one.

After pretty much 5 months of trial and error it came out to the following for me:

Cymed:They don't have a convex wafer, have a twisty tie thingamagic to close the bag (!), are stingy with their supplies, and it takes forever to get samples. I cannot say much about the overall usage because it didn't stay on long enough to actually make a somewhat "educated" decision. For me, none of the claims on their website were true.

Hollister 2-pc. New Image with adapter ring:
Works for approx. 3 days, although often times, for me, the 3rd day was a gamble and I didn't feel confident enough to go out for a longer period of time.

Coloplast SenSura extended wear, convex:
Somehow the wafer is a bit too rigid for me and interferes with the scar and the draining fistula. However, I did like the additional safety closure of the bag to the wafer. Wear time greatly differed between a couple of hours and a max. of 3-4 days, not sure why.

ConvaTec convex moldable wafer, 2-pc with Eaking ring:
So far, this is the miracle for me. I half the Eakin ring around the retracting part of the stoma and plaster the wafer on. The hole doesn't require any cutting and the opening can be adjusted by rolling it back for accurate sizing. I am not sure about the science of it, but once on the body you roll it back close to the stoma and it will then fit itself around the stoma, making a turtleneck.
The bag is a little long for my taste and when I called I was told that there are no shorter ones for this particular application. Binder clips help me out in that area.
I am currently on day 6 with this application -- 'nuff said! :tongue:

I found out that Hollister is making a pre-cut moldable, convex wafer and I should receive some samples of that soon. The rep told me, due to the pre-cutting, the samples take a bit longer to be send out.

I hope this helps - even though it is a bit long! :)

Heike

(Disclaimer: this is all in MY experience. I know that other people have success with the appliances that didn't work for me! )

Terriernut

I forgot to add VonFunk...your stoma will shrink in the first month or so, another reason not to get too excited about trying new things with a new stoma.

My stoma shrunk to 35mm. Then went back up to 40mm cause I was running around too much, now it is between 32-35mm again. When I first had surgery it was 48mm!

Misty

Terriernut

I'm really liking the Coloplast Sensura Flex. I am able to change bag sizes as needed. Small one for work, larger for night.

Also, for day anyway, the filters work really well. Night time once they are wet, not so good, but thats with any of them!

In fact, I'm farting away happily after fajitas last night, and no bag blow up or smell! :yrolleyes:

Yeah!!!!

Misty

Terriernut

The Coloplast Sensura Flex so far the best, for me. I did have a mishap at work yesterday because I put the small bag on too fast yesterday morning, and didnt get it sealed right. (always, always, always have an emergency supply of EVERYTHING WITH YOU AT ALL TIMES)

The click system isnt so good for me on alot of the bags. I have to press too hard, and with a hernia and sore skin...uh uh.

So..still have some more Hollister products to try!

But two piece drainables with different sized bags are working well for this pigmy!!!

Misty

ameslouise

All our stomas are different, like our diseases and treatments are different, so you'll probably be even more confused after reading all our opinions!

I use a Hollister 1 piece convex. Love it. Need the convex because like Heike, my stoma was dipping down and causing seepage and leakage.

When I had my temp for a year, I used Coloplast Sensura 1 piece. I loved the opening on that bag the best, found it easiest to clean.

Good luck! You can get samples galore from Edgepark and the other supply companies.

- Amy

Yeah, I love hollister, two piece closed bag system.

Also, I love to use barrier rings instead of the icky paste. They are easily moldable and arent so messy.

As others have said, get lots of samples. I know many of the companies are willing to send you samples through their website. Dont forget getting samples of accessories as well - skin prep wipes, adhesive remover wipes, etc..

You will probably develop a routine once you find what works for you. It really helps to have a specialized stoma nurse if possible.

Terriernut

I've tried em all now! Literally. I found the hollister is quite good, but...I have a stonking HUGE parastomal hernia...7 month baby size. So the actually adhesive bit has to be quite large for me. If I ever get the hernia gone by surgery, then I think I might try again.

But for now...the Sensura Flex system is by far the best. With the drainable bags. Its not a click system, but an adhesive system that you use for the bags, which just works better if you have a hernia problem.

And yes, barrier rings. I am using the Salts ones. IDK if there is a better brand out there...what ya'll think?

Misty

LOSTnut

Poopy
I have since tried the Hollister moldable 2 piece with their Adapt Ring and while it lasted pretty much as good as the ConvaTec, somehow I didn't care much for the look of it around the stoma. It looked all raggedy and I felt insecure enough to keep checking every time I emptied the bag.

So, in conclusion, for me right now, I stick with the ConvaTec moldable and the Eakin rings. And, I switched to the bags without filter, because that is pretty much the only thing that I didn't care much for because it gave me nasty little rings on the shirts.

Misty -- never heard of Salt rings.

I hope vonFunk can make good use of the reviews ... and everybody else who comes across the thread, for that matter.

LOSTnut

Poopy
PS: And, I can actually take daily showers with the ConvaTec .... ahhhh, in the heat of Southern Arizona that is one major perk. :)

I like the Coloplast Sensura Flex system only because of the smaller bag sizes available that are velcro closed rather than that horrid clamp that Convatec wants you to use with their mini bags. I hate the Coloplast flange system, the hard thick rubber pressed into my belly is so restrictive. Not to mention it's killing "Mr. Burns".

I just tried a Hollister sample of the New Image, I absolutely LOVE the flange, even with the abscess, it's held on for 2 days and counting, very very comfortable. The Bag however is a larger size bag, I'm 5 feet tall, it hangs halfway down my leg.

Wondering if they have a smaller bag available that is a lock and roll like the larger bag. I am not in any way interested in any sort of clamp, too much room for error...
Hollister is not open today as it's a Sunday so I'm sure I won't get a hold of anyone at the head office until Monday or Tuesday with the holidays so I'm throwing this question out there to you guys...

Yes, I believe hollister has at least 2 seperate sized bags. They have a full catalog of all their products on their website. Heres a short brochure on the new image system: http://www.hollister.com/us/files/family_brochures/New-Image-906899.pdf

This product might be what you are looking for: http://www.hollister.com/us/products/product_series.asp?id=1&family=10&series=903 That is the mini pouch, but I personally think its too small for daily use. Generally I think its used for more "intimate moments" :hug:

If thats still not what you are looking for, they have a full catalog available online that shows all of their products. (warning large PDF file) http://www.hollister.com/us/files/pdfs/prodcat.pdf

I use the closed pouch system.

Once you find the product(s) you are interested in, get the little stock numbers and you can order free samples: http://www.hollister.com/us/ostomy/products/sample.asp

Ive ordered samples a few times, and they will let you order multiple items. Ive even tried their paste, barrier rings, various bags/wafers. I see they've just come out with a brand new wafer that is moldable. Looks like its to compete with the convatec one, but hollister has the raised flange which is so nice.

Great thread. Still trying out Hollister - new to all of this, ileostomy created 12 days ago - so will need to do more testing.

Have any of you found that using the rings (Eaking etc) caused the recessed part of the stoma to correct itself? Or is there no correcting of that other than surgically?

Thanks

hopeful

Great thread. Still trying out Hollister - new to all of this, ileostomy created 12 days ago - so will need to do more testing.

Have any of you found that using the rings (Eaking etc) caused the recessed part of the stoma to correct itself? Or is there no correcting of that other than surgically?

Thanks

hopeful
Ive never heard of such a change happening but I not positive. Your surgeon would know more about that. However, if you have a recessed area, you might want to look at the convex wafers instead of the regular flat ones. The convex ones might fit you better.

LOSTnut

Poopy
I haven't heard of anything like that either, which is why the rings and the convex wafers help out a lot.

vonfunk

Bourbon Bandito
At this point I've tried a couple different Colopast flanges and the Hollister New Image products, and only the 2 piece products. Convatec will be the next one I try.

I am currently in love with the Hollister flanges. Mainly because of the cloth, bandage like tape that they instead of the rubbery planks that Coloplast uses. I find it sticks nicely to the skin creating a much better seal, and is far more comfortable as it allows for more movement.
I had put one on on Monday, and replaced it this morning. I got a full week off of the flange. I had already decided to change the bag and I discovered that it had started leaking, but because of how they attach, the liquid had been absorbed by the tape and I did not get any on my sheets or clothing. I had only noticed it because of the discolouration.

annawato

Staff member
I came across this thread and thought I'd resurrect it in the hop eof helping some of the stoma newbies. Feel free to add your own experiences of flanges/bags/wipespastes and rings - and anything else you do that may be helpful to someone.
:heart: anna

Nyx

I'm still using the same product that I posted about 2 1/2 years ago :) I love the Coloplast SenSura click with the colomajic liners. The only change is that the liners are now available in a biodegradable variety...I like both the plastic liners (which are what I used when I first posted) and the biodegradable liners, the only real difference being that the biodegradable ones are less crinkly...lol

annawato

Staff member
I use welland flair convex with convatec paste, welland barrier wipes and stomahesive powder when my skin gets just toooooo sore. My stoma dips down on one side so I need a convex appliance and its oval shaped which is a nuisance. With my last stoma I used salts dermacol collars which I would cut down a bit. They were great for preventing leakages but unfortunately don't fit my oval stoma this time. Well worth trying if you are having leaks and have a round stoma.
I also use a convatec belt which seems to help more than the welland belt for some reason.
Another tip is mercurochrome if your skin is particularly weepy - it will help dry it and heal it - just don't use for too long as it contains mercury.
Rings I haven't had much luck with but I think I might try again now things have settled down a bit.
Lastly I use brava tape for added security and to keep the edges of my flange dry when I shower.

We are only two weeks into having a temporary loop ileostomy, but since it was a planned surgery, we took the time to get samples from just about every manufacturer out there. Then, we got so overwhelmed with all the choices that we practiced with a few of them, and decided to stick with the Coloplast Sensura Xpro 2 piece click set up, and make it work until it won't anymore. So far, we have had great success with them. Not a single leak yet...knock on wood!

We did come home with a surprise bridge through the stoma, which made it a challenge to put the wafer on. For our first bag change in the hospital, the nurse used a barrier ring, eakin I believe, and we have included that in our application process, although we are using the Brava 2mm ring instead. The only other thing we use is adhesive remover, and the basic stoma belt.

He has developed an opening in the small keyhole incision that sits right above the stoma, which we are having to pack daily now. Yuck! There is an amazing tape called Medfix by Medline that works wonders for keeping the gauze secure. Also, some nights he enjoys sleeping naked (ok, MOST nights) and since he still has some random mucos discharge, we are using Premium Comfort bed pads made by Covidien. The hospital gave us a big bundle of them on the last day there, and we were told we were welcome to take them home. Yay!

I've only been an ostomate for a month now, and I am still trying out samples...they gave me a Convatech one-piece with clip closure in hospital and a boatload of those to take home..I have also tried a very similar Hollister one-piece and liked the LOOK of it better...Now on a Hollister New Image 2-piece - first time using the floating flange - lasted me 5 days with no problems. I was told I could go 6 or 7 days but was afraid to go that long so I changed it. I am finding this pouch is harder to clean the opening, though, for whatever reason. And the one-piece versions definitely lay flatter under my clothes. ... Oh, and the filter seems to do absolutely nothing compared to the non-filter version. For whatever that is worth to people. :dance:

nogutsnoglory

I know I definitely want a 2 piece and refuse to have one with those roll up and clip things. I feel like they are impossible to clean. Most of them are made like that but some have a spout or Velcro and I prefer that.

ive been using Sensura ones basically since my stoma op,6 weeks now and had one wee leak due to me not putting the bag on properly,i had a small fold on the sticky bit,im using the opaque mini bags,have had loads of samples but feel comfortable with these bags so will stick with the devil i know....use barrier wipes but not sure if they're to help wafer stick better or help with the skin rash and blistering,might need to call stoma nurse for more info on products to help with skin irritation

Samples, samples, and MORE samples - you will need to see what works best for you and your activity. This can be a long process, but will be worth it in the end!!!

I was send home with coloplast Sensura flex and i like it but then i got diagnosed with pyoderma (PPG) and have to change my appliance. I change to Eakin Pelican one-piece, with soft convex and i love it!!!! I don't like emptying my bag cos my output is very thick but this bag is only availble one piece, so that's worth it! I love it how soft this is and i haven't have leaks since i started using it. I change my bag everyother day so i can check my PG and i use eakin seal rings too.

I just ordered sample from this one company ´who is selling these "stoma deodorants". I just wanted something to helpwith the smell when i am emptying my bag. I test it yesterday and it really worked!!!! It's not like my poop smells like stwarberrys now but it really stinks A LOT less and i feel much better to get work if i have to empty my bag there.

http://www.nascent4u.com/product.htm