• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Laparoscopic Ileal Resection

Dear all,

It looks very much like I'm heading off to the Hospital, to have my troublesome bit of ileum removed. I've yet to meet my Surgeon (appointment is pending) — so I wonder if others who've had this procedure could give me a little bit of a heads up. A few immediate questions spring to mind - How long should I expect to be off work? How much pain / discomfort / scarring is to be expected (although this is hopefully being done laparoscopically) ?

With thanks,

Tony.

(Also just starting on mercaptopurine - a whole other kettle of fish)

Hi leithcote, had a Laproscopic Ileocolic resection last year. I had a few complications during the surgery ( a bit of small bowel wrapped around my liver) but my surgeon was excellent. Pain wise I was on a Morphine pump which was ok & I was out walking the next day albeit with IV's in tow.
As per normal with me everything seized up & it took a while for things to get moving inside but when it did with the inevitable diarrohea there was no pain or blood. Which was certainly a nice surprise to previous surgeries. Also because it was done by Laprocopic techniques I didn't need half as many stitches which again was nice because having them out isn't nice.
Workwise I'll have to leave that to others because sadly my Crohns was back in 2mths so I've not gone back yet & I had it done last Aug. But others go years without problems so best of luck.
Hope all goes well
Grant

1st symptoms 1983
Diagnosed 1985
1997 Right Hemicolectomy & Resection
2002 Laperotomy & Resection
2010 Laproscopic Ileocolic Resection

Been on Azathioprine & Pred

Currently on Entocort 3mg every other day
Humira 40mg every two weeks
Calcichew
Pentasa 4gm daily
3mthly B12 Jabs

Thanks Grant,

Sounds like you've had a hell of a time with your surgery - and very sorry to hear that your Crohn's was active again so quickly afterwards. I'm looking forward to some respite, I've been in a badly controlled flare-up for at least 7 months or so now, with only Prednisilone giving some relief for about 6 weeks or so. Let's hope the surgery + 6MP works a lot better.

With thanks

Tony.

Best of luck Tony, hope it all goes well.
Grant

1st symptoms 1983
Diagnosed 1985
1997 Right Hemicolectomy & Resection
2002 Laperotomy & Resection
2010 Laproscopic Ileocolic Resection

Been on Azathioprine & Pred

Currently on Entocort 3mg every other day
Humira 40mg every two weeks
Calcichew
Pentasa 4gm daily
3mthly B12 Jabs

My 2nd resction was laparoscopic.
My scar is approx 8ins.Post op i developed internal abscess which put me back in hospital within 1 week of coming home.I was pumped with antibiotics to clear it as it was in a very difficult position to drain.I was off work for 4 months.
It took out the severe section of CD in my gut.Within 3 months of the op all the usual problems were on their way back.I had a very difficult time in getting the CD under control with Azathioprine/6mp.Thankfully i gained remission with AMP.
I hope you don't have the aggro i had.

Best Wishes

Hi Tony,

I had 12 inches of ileum, my terminal ileum and my appendix removed in late 2009. My surgery was done laparoscopically, but with a hand assist (a larger scar but apparently gives the surgeon more ability to 'feel' the bowel and assess scar tissue etc). I was on 20 mgs of Pred at the time and also was on 6MP and Remicade. It was my first surgery.

I was very lucky and had a great experience (well as great as any surgery can be). My colo-rectal surgeon was Board-certified and very experienced with Crohn's patients. This is what I think has helped me so much. I've been in remission since the surgery (with mild symptoms but little visible activity). I had a colonoscopy recently and my surgery site is still very open with no stricturing (my surgeon chose to remove my terminal ileum and connect my small bowel directly to a larger portion of my colon - his reasoning being that it would give me a much wider opening, in case I had more scar tissue down the line).

The first surgeon I was referred to was a total quack and wanted to do an open resection, and he wasn't even very confident about that! What I learned is that not every surgeon is the same - each one is going to have a different solution. I would recommend looking for one that is board-certified AND has lots of experience with Crohn's-related resections.

My recovery was relatively easy - I was in the hospital for 3 days (though I think 4-7 would be more normal) and out of work for 4 weeks. The pain was intense during the first day, but I got a morphine pump (I did have to ask at one point for the dosage to be increased). I also really like this anti-inflammatory IV drug that works like a high dose ibuprophen I think (can't remember the name, but it begins with a "t"). After the first day, I was more lucid and able to walk around.

Take it easy when you get home, no matter how good you think you feel! I overdid it on my first day and suffered badly the next day with bleeding and vomiting. I went home with Percocet and Darvocet and used them for a week+, mainly for soreness and cramping.

Good luck!! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Kristy