• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My story bethandgennaro

my story bethandgennaro

I am writing because I am so frustrated with my boyfriends crohns disease. He is miserable and feels like he has no more quality of life. He is only 60 but he feels older, and has other health issues as well, but this seems to be the worst of all his other ailments. He also has afib, kidney disease, and asthma. He is a veteran so he gets to have access to the doctors for all of his problems. He gets dehydrated alot and has ended up in the hospital about 3 times in the past year due to the crohns. He also gets these infections that grow due to the bacteria, and he is alot of pain because of these. He has had one cut and he was in hospital for week and a half. When I first met him in 1996 he had crohns but it must have been in remission bc he never had to "run to the bathroom" 10 or more x a day like he does now. I don't know what meds he is on for the crohns for he is on so many meds for other things it is hard to know what is for what. He won't go out of the house except for going to doctor in case he has to go. I saw on the other post someone said something about (questran?) to get the diarreah under control. Does this work and will it constipate him. He worries about this also. He can't eat bananas due to the potassium. Any advice you can give me would be helpful as I am so worried about him being depressed, and giving up on everything, thinking he is less than a man. I love him so very much. He is my whole life. Thank you.:(

welcome beth,

i wish i could help but haven't heard of this drug !!

i wish you and your hubby every success in regaining health and enjoying life

regards

bruscar

hello again. today he went to the doctor and was told he was going to put him on humira, and I immediately went online and found out some pretty bad possible side effects, so I really don't want him to take it. He has kidney disease, and I read it could make them worse. I don't want him taking something that could make him sicker, but I also read about probiotics and one particularly called primal defense ultra, and I mentioned it to him as a possible alternative, and he isn't sure, (my boyfriend) not the doctor, he of course said he didn't feel probiotics would work in his case since his went away and came back. He is researching it on the web and weighing the pros and cons of using humira and probiotics. I wish someone could tell me if they have used probiotics and it made them feel better with less cases of diarrhea and stomach pain. Thank you for your responses. And good luck Bruscar. :)

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome.

I'm sorry you and your boyfriend are going through so much difficulty right now. Crohn's is difficult enough by itself, having those other issues on top must be absolutely terrible.

Yes, Humira can potentially have some bad side effects. Of course, it also helps a lot of people as well. You may want to check our our Humira support area and see what people have to say and ask any pertinent questions you have there.

Best of luck to you and your BF!

Thank you for your advice, I did read your humira support and I told him it did work for some people and he may try it and see if it does help, because he wants to get help with his crohns and since it works for some it may work for him. I hope it does, as he gets so depressed. Thank you for your post.