• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My 8 year old diagnosed with Crohn's, Help!

My 8 year old was just diagnosed last week with crohn's. Obviously I'm a bit devistated by this news. He doesn't have any of the severe symptoms such as diarrhea (just 1 or 2 loose stools per day) no pain or blood. His main symptom that led us to the pediatric GI was a weight loss of 7 lbs. in 3 months even though his appetite was just fine. I've been searching 4/5 hours per day on the internet for info on drugs and even the latest research on LDN. We have started taking 6MP which I know has been around for many years.

Our GI guy has never even heard of LDN so I'm hoping some of you can help me out here. Tell me if this plan makes sense: Take the 6MP for a while until he acheives remission and while in remission discontinue the 6MP and start taking LDN (if I can get a prescription). Anyone with any experience or suggestions? Please let me know what you think, if it's a dumb idea just let me know, but do let me know. I'm just extremely concerned and I'm looking at anything that could help him.
Thanks,
Berry

I've been symptom free for two years on LDN. You should join the yahoo group for LDN, they have much more knowledge than anyone here pertaining to LDN. I think you can find the group through www.lowdosenaltrexone.org

Miss

Miss,
Thanks for the response. I'm very happy for you that you've been symptom free for 2 years, that's wonderful! What made you try LDN? How long before you saw the results? Were you just lucky enough to have an open minded GI Dr.?
Thanks,
Berry

I fired my GI's! All they did was use me as a guinea pig with a bunch of meds that made me worse until I ended up in the hospital for two weeks and on remicade infusions with tons of side effects. So I went to my family doc and he put me on LDN. October will be three years and it's the only med I'm on for crohn's/colitis, whatever it is that I actually had wrong with me. I was so bad, they almost had to remove my colon. When my GI's office called about my cancelled appointment, I told them what I was taking. They knew all about LDN since we're local to Hershey where Jill Smith has done the LDN studies. They just wanted the thousands of dollars for me sitting in their infusion center every six weeks poisoning my body and suppressing my immune system. For about twenty-five bucks a month, I'm making out pretty good without them.

Good luck,

Miss

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hey Miss,

That is fab that LDN has worked so well for you, my it last a lifetime!

I'm sorry that things didn't work out for you with your GI's but I feel I have to add here that not everyone has those sort of experiences with GI's and with the treatments they prescribe. There are many, many success stories here that run the full gauntlet of treatments from biologics to LDN,

Dusty. xxx

Hi DustyKat,

I realize others here may or may not have had the disastrous care that I did. I was just answerring qestions about my personal experience and that's what it was. LDN in the regular dose, has been around for many years with hardly any side effects as opposed to current standard treatments. At the low dose, most people don't experience any negative effects. As with any drug, it doesn't work for everyone.

Miss

Miss,
Have you had any improvement in lab results such as CRP or Sed rate since taking LDN? Have you had an endoscopy/colonoscopy anytime in the last couple of years showing improvement?

Thanks,
Berry

Nope, I consider the fact that blood is not pouring out of me thirty times a day evidence enough of improvement. That is literally what was happening when I was admitted to the hospital and I'm not exagerrating at all. I did have some labs done showing improvement before the bleeding even stopped. Now I go once a day, normal bm, no blood, good enough. I'm not going for any more testing unless there's a problem.

Miss