• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just dropping by...

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi and :welcome:

You can ask your question here, to start with, if you like and perhaps at the same time you could tell us a little about yourself.

Both of my children are on Imuran and there are others that will welcome you that have experience with it or 6mp.

Dusty. xxx

Ok, so basically I'm 16, and i got diagnosed when i was 13 in the summer of '08.
The first year and a half was pretty tough, as i would be getting really bad cramps each day, and my appetite was non-existent. Also, i would feel nausea in times of nervousness and whatnot. I also had an abcess near my groin/bum area. Now the thing is, my abcess has drained out and has become a scar. However, I have 1-2 fistulas in that general area that are still draining. I've been taking inflammatory pills throughout all this also. But since 2010 started I've been doing great. I only have to go to the washroom once a day, and I have a voracious appetite and good energy. I've also been growing and gaining weight. I'm almost completely normal apart from the fistulas still draining.

Anyways, I visited my GI recently, and he said I should start taking Imuran to get rid of the fistulas, and maintain my healthiness. But I'm kinda hesitant, cause I know Imuran is a strong drug, and it has some nasty side effects for long term use (which is what I'm gonna go through if it works). Also I'm doing completely fine besides the fistulas, so is it really necessary to use that strong of a drug? Anyways, I'm gonna start taking it in 2 weeks, and I'm kinda nervous about it.

So can anyone explain more about Imuran, and how it could affect me? Thanks :)

Hi, my own experience of Imuran is that it worked just fine for me for about 5 years with absolutely no side effects.

Eventually it became ineffective but that's probably because I have major league Crohn's...which you don't.

My advice would therefore be to try what your doctor recommends...if it doesn't suit you for some reason, and I reckon you would know quite quickly, there are other medications available.

Go with the flow and take it as it comes, so to speak. Try not to worry about the "what-if's" and look forward to leading a normal life again.

Best wishes for a happy, healthy future!

Mark.

Ps. I'm not sure why you would need Imuran long term as when a fistula has healed, it has healed!
My sister had a fistula 20 years ago (a Crohn's patient) and it healed itself and has never returned!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
I'm so sorry to hear you have been through all this.

What do you mean by inflammatory pills?

I guess what the GI is pointing to is that the fistula's aren't going to heal without some further intervention. Perhaps the only lucky thing is that the type of fistula's you have respond well to Imuran, in combination with antibiotics, and the biologics.

I tell ya, when my kids were started on it I had the same feelings as you do, I still do! But in our case it was the lesser of two evils. My daughter started on Imuran 5 years ago when she was 14. She has had no obvious side effects and has been in remission since having surgery and commencing on it. My son started on it 6 months ago and also has had no problems. Did you have the test to see if you the have enzyme that breaks the Imuran?

I know it's scary for you and you will find many people here to help with your questions. Good luck and don't hesitate to ask all the questions you need!

Take care, :hug:
Dusty. xxx

Oh I take Asacol (the inflammatory pills) to suppress the immune system i think..
I also take some supplements like aloe vera pills, and they work okay. I started on the antibiotic Ciprofloxacin (which i will take for a month) then I will start the Imuran in 2 weeks.
I was wondering, do I have to avoid the sun when i start taking it? Cause summer's about to start, and I'll be getting quite alot of sunlight :S

Hey there I was on Asacol for two years and didn't work a bit (didn't realize it could have been better than I had it) and then proceeded with Imuran.

Imuran worked wonders for me immediately until a stress related flare-up stopped the Imuran from being effective at all. Asacol is an anti-inflammatory drug which, as my GI told me, generally only helps specific areas of the GI tract. Imuran is more of a blanket drug which supresses the imune system. Imuran is an immuno-suppresent drug. Basically your more prone to infections with Imuran, especially things like colds and flus. There are potentially more severe side effects with Imuran over Asacol but those are quite rare. Never heard of having to stay away from the sun with it? I certainly didn't.

Plus where in Canada is it sunny? Remember its always cold, snowing, and dark up here. hahaha.