• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Humira Side effects

Hi there I have been on Humira now for 7 months for crohns. I felt great at first but a few months ago I felt really tired weak legs etc and also felt anxious heart racing etc. I contacted hospital who advised that these werent side effects of Humira and to contact my gp I started to think it was me so managed to work through anxiety with meditation etc but after having 2 courses of antibiotics anxiety came back with avengence. Again Hospital saying nothing to do with Humira but my gp telling me it is a side effect again by the afternoon I am exhausted with fatigue. Has anyone else experienced this on Humira as I feel I am getting nowhere with hospital even though I have said I am not taking another injections as I have never suffered anxiety or panic attacks in my life.
thanks

Hi Claire,

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure many others will chime in on this, but have a look through or search the Humira Club sub-forum for more information.

I've been on Humira since last August and I've certainly experienced tiredness and occasionally a pounding sensation in my chest. I've never really considered these a side effect of Humira. Perhaps they are, perhaps not? The tiredness I just put down to the Crohn's and the fact that I don't sleep as well as I used to - noisy neighbours. I don't really get anxious, but I did pretty much cut out Caffeine a couple of years ago and if I have more than a cup or two of tea or coffee these days it does seem to have the sort of effect that you describe.

If the Humira is working for the Crohn's I'd thing really hard before giving it up. Hope you work it out.

Regards,

Mark

It seems very strange to me for anxiety to be treated with antibiotics, I'd have expected antidepressants, perhaps there is something you haven't mentioned here. Tiredness I can understand. I'm wondering if your 'panic attacks' are a reaction to palpitations? - I've been getting those and initially really worried me.

Humira is really a very good drug for Crohn's, I'd would not recommend stopping it as what else are you going to do? I'm guessing the alternatives didn't work or you didn't tolerate them. There isn't much else, Infliximab maybe.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Claire and welcome! I don't have experience with Humria, but I do have issues with anxiety. As Beth said, you don't treat anxiety with antibiotics. Also, though you haven't experienced axiety before, you can develop pretty much out of nowhere. And dealing with a chronic illness doesn't help ease the nerves. So, before stopping your treatment, I would be sure to look into the possiblity of anxiety.

I have been on Humira now for about 4 months, and have started to notice that I get extreme tiredness the day after injecting it.