Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Chewing Gum May Expedite Recovery Following Colectomy

06-06-2011, 04:57 PM   #1
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
Chewing Gum May Expedite Recovery Following Colectomy

I was looking for something else surgery related and came across this.

I thought about posting in the media type forum, but figured that people who are facing surgery or have recently had it would probably come to this section first.
Goodnight Sweet Prince

06-06-2011, 05:15 PM   #2
Astra

My Support Groups:
Hiya Von

We've talked about this before on here!
I chewed gum after my laparoscopy and surgery and it helps to disperse the carbon gas that they pump into you for the procedure.
It helps you to fart and burp!
In fact I'm a chewy addict, I chew it all day long!

Joan

Dx Crohn's in TI 2005 symptoms for 15 years prior

BEEN ON -Azathioprine, 6MP, Prednisolone, Pentasa, Budesonide, Metronidazole, Humira, Methotrexate,

NOW ON -Amitriptyline 25mg
21/02/14 Right hemicolectomy surgery

http://www.facebook.com/#!/profile.p...4208290&ref=ts

No-one should make you feel inferior without your consent!

06-06-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
vonfunk
Bourbon Bandito

My Support Groups:
The article is more talking about how it tricks your body into thinking that it's eating, and that kick starts your bowels into working.
06-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Interesting - I'll have to keep it in mind for the hopefully never to occur next time. Anyword if chewing ice chips helps (must admit, didn't read the article)?
06-06-2011, 06:47 PM   #5
Karissa

Hmm this is interesting. Ever since my surgery, I've been OBSESSED with chewing ice. I do it all the time. It's a kind of comfort to me. I wonder if that's related? Has anyone else experienced this?

Surgery on November 6, 2009, age 19
Open ileocecectomy
Currently in remission

Meds tried: Pentasa, Prednisone, Cimzia, Flagyl, Asacol, countless natural remedies

Meds currently taking: 6MP

My reading blog, Addicted to Reading

Walking in Take Steps for Crohn's and Colitis in September, with my team Karissa and Laura's Fabulous Friends. Make a donation here, thank you!
06-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #6
shamrock15
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I know that I got into it because it was all I was allowed to eat or drink for a long time. Then some young doctor had the nerve to suggest it was pica - a psychological problem. Right, let's put him in a bed for two weeks and see how you react when it's all that you are allowed by mouth!
06-06-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I'm a chronic ice chewer too...it's said that chewing ice is a sign of anemia too.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

06-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #8
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Following Matt's surgery the surgeon wanted him to chew gum or suck on barley sugar for that very reason...get the bowel working. All the patients on the colorectal ward were told that, assuming it was appropriate!

Dusty.
06-06-2011, 09:02 PM   #9
poolside

How ironic, I was put on the standard "don't eat or drink for this many days" diet afterward and I was sneaking gum! They didn't tell me to chew it or not chew it so I took it upon myself to chew it and spit it out when the nurse approached my room hehe.
You know what, come to think of it I had none of that horrible gas in your body pain that you usually experience post abdominal surgery. None at all!
When I had my hysterectomy I had it bad and I wasn't sneaking gum!
Awe, I guess I'm not such a bada$$ as I thought lol!

Making Crohn's sexy since 1995

Remi: 6 years, the love affair is over now :-(
Hysterectomy
Ovarian cancer : treated

Resection/Colostomy 2011
Cancer recurrence

Colostomy Reversal 2011
06-07-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
ameslouise

I know that I got into it because it was all I was allowed to eat or drink for a long time. Then some young doctor had the nerve to suggest it was pica - a psychological problem. Right, let's put him in a bed for two weeks and see how you react when it's all that you are allowed by mouth!
Not to derail the thread, but it's my understanding that Pica is not a psychological problem but a real medical disorder - an iron deficiency that can lead to chewing ice or eating non-food items like dirt or chalk. It's not uncommon in pregnant women, or people with absorbtion issues.
06-07-2011, 09:20 PM   #11
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I'm not a dirt eater...the only experience I have with that is when I made a boy eat a whole bowl of it when I was six years old ....lol
06-08-2011, 06:49 AM   #12
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
The article is more talking about how it tricks your body into thinking that it's eating, and that kick starts your bowels into working.
Makes perfect sense! And we can also amuse ourselves by blowing bubbles!

Misty
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
06-08-2011, 02:53 PM   #13
CDDad

I did the gum chewing thing after all 3 of my surgeries. I did very well after my first 2 surgeries, but I'm not sure it helped after my 3rd. but I think those problems were from the pain killers.

Anyway, what I can say is that the gum provided a huge mental boost. Getting that yummy flavor made a big difference when I could not eat. I also did this without doctors permission. I did not want them to say no - so I did not ask
On Protonix and Humira.
06-08-2011, 09:13 PM   #14
mom2twogr8tkids

I knew about the gum and gas but not tricking your bowels....Interesting!!

Amanda

Diagnosed 1999

Current Meds:

Imuran
Questran packet
B12 inj
Bupap prn
Multivitamin
Pacemaker

Previous Meds:
Ileostomy reversal
Bowel obstruction & resection
Apriso 0.375 4 once a day
Prednisone
Flagyl
Cipro
Asacol
Pentasa

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Chewing Gum May Expedite Recovery Following Colectomy