• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to here

P

panayiotou

new to here

Hi all
I am new to this forum and hoping it will help me with my crohns. My name is peter & I was diagnosed around 8 years ago although suffering the symptoms for around 12 years. I am having a flare up of symptoms at the moment and wondering if anyone can offer some advice to me. Does anyone else ever suffer with a sore tongue? At the moment mine is red raw and has lots of white ulcers it feels like its been stripped. Most things i eat burn it. :( Any advice or help would be really appriciated. I look forward to getting to know everyone and hopefully offering some tips of my own. Thanks

Cara Fusinato

Sarcastic Forum Comedian
Could it be thrush? That's an infection actually in the mouth and it has those symptoms. Antibiotic use is often the cause, but there could be other reasons.

You may wish to consider Mangosteen, Acai, and probiotics to help the flareup settle down. You local Vitamin Shoppe or GNC could help with that.

Hello Peter and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you're going through a flare right now. I too get a sore tongue and also ulcerated mouth and throat usually just before a flare....and then during.

The doctor gave me a prescription gargle which seems to help a little and also a tube of paste like substance to dab on the ulcers. The latter contains a small amount of cortisone.

During a flare I usually rest as much as possible...a bad flare I go right to bed. Either a light diet, or liquid diet if I'm really bad. I find a soft boiled egg goes well with toast dipped in. Also things such as jello, soups, tea, and uncarbonated drinks.

Most of all...just take it easy and rest...and remember, this too shall pass...*pun intednded* :)

Once again welcome to the forum and I know you will find a lot of tips in the threads here.

Feel free to wander and ask questions.

All the best,
Nancy

P

panayiotou

Nancy Lee said:
Hello Peter and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry you're going through a flare right now. I too get a sore tongue and also ulcerated mouth and throat usually just before a flare....and then during.

The doctor gave me a prescription gargle which seems to help a little and also a tube of paste like substance to dab on the ulcers. The latter contains a small amount of cortisone.

During a flare I usually rest as much as possible...a bad flare I go right to bed. Either a light diet, or liquid diet if I'm really bad. I find a soft boiled egg goes well with toast dipped in. Also things such as jello, soups, tea, and uncarbonated drinks.

Most of all...just take it easy and rest...and remember, this too shall pass...*pun intednded* :)

Once again welcome to the forum and I know you will find a lot of tips in the threads here.

Feel free to wander and ask questions.

All the best,
Nancy
thanks for the replies could you tell me what the name of the mouth wash and paste is called that you were prescribed please. I am willing to try anything. Will give the probiotics ago too.
thanks again
peter

Hello again Peter...

The mouth rinse or gargle is called Benzydamine
and the paste stuff is called Oracort.

Ask your doctor about those two.

Hope I helped.

Nancy

P

panayiotou

Thanks very much for all your help. I will let you know how i get on :)

mikeyarmo

Co-Founder
Welcome Peter!

I am sorry I could not be of any help for your problem, but hopefully the mouthwash will help you out.

Kev

Long before my illness, I used to be hit with similar symptoms.. Hmm, wonder if they were early symptoms??? Anyway, way back then, my GP would give me something called 'tincture of genitan violet' (sp?) a purple liquid that turned my mouth, teeth & gums an incredibly bright shade of purple.. but it almost immediately took any pain from the chancres away, and within a day they'd all be gone. however, the purple lasted days... I heard it speculated that I was prone to these (back in old days) as my diet was extremely acidic, and that I was throwing my good vs bad bacteria balance out of whack...