• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My chrons

Ok here it is. I was diagnosed with chrons disease when i was 16. Im 23 now. Last year i had a bowel resectioning done but one year later its active and flaring up again. No medicine seems to work; i took remicaid treatments but it was so active i needed surgery for all the scarred tissue, hell i even got addicted to pain pills because of it. Nothing seems to help im afraid of doing remicaid because of all the negatives n the other alternative i was given is 6-mp (6-mercaptopurine) can anyone give me advice or tips or feedback with their experiences PLEASE? Thank you so much

Hi jyeager, sorry for what happend to you.
What i know is that the complication of the disease is treated surgically ( the stenosis, fistula, abscess , obstruction) but to keep disease in remssion it is the medication jop.
If you have any symptoms , your doctor should adress them and what is the problem( by endoscopy to see the inner side and ct scan to see out side the lumen.
If their is no surgical problem, for flear up , steroid may work and to mentain the
remssion their is remicade, humira, imuran, pentasa, ascol
hope for you to ne well soon

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome J! My son was on 6mp for about 1.5 years w/o problems. It failed to fully achieve remission however and he was put on Humira. The literature can be daunting but all the big guns have a scary list of possibilities that go with them. I hope the 6mp works for you!!

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Jyeager and welcome! I know the list of side effects for the different treatment options can be scary, but letting your disease to go untreated is much worse. If you are unwell, you need to sit down with your GI and talk about your options and come up with a plan that you both can live with. I know you have tried many different types of treatment options, but you may need to do a combination of medications to get well. I sure hope you find something that works for you soon.

Hey J! I'm currently on 6mp. My doctor was very cautious before giving it to me. He sent me for a blood test to make sure I could metabolize it first(test came back as moderate metabolizer) so I was started off at 25mg(I weigh about 100lbs so he took that into consideration as well) after a couple of months I went back in to see my GI and he odered a new blood test to see how well built up in my system it was. When it came back he upped my dosage to 50 mg. All the time he ordered weekly blood tests to check my white cell count and liver and kidney enzymes.

Since he upped my dosage I find I bleed easily catch infections like crazy and I HAVE to avoid anyone sick or else I get it. Unfortunatly I also feel like it's not keeping me in full remission, I still have diarreah sometimes and blood or mucous...I go back in July so I hope he can help get it situated again

ameslouise

Hi JYeager and welcome!

Just wanted to welcome you and say good luck finding a treatment option that works for you. The meds can be scary, but you have to weigh the risks and benefits.

And if all else fails and you end up with more surgery, that's not the end of the world either. Here I sit 3 months after surgery, with a bag, and happy as a clam. Honestly, life could not be better!

So there are many treatments out there and sometimes it's hit or miss to find the one that works best for you. Good luck!! - Amy