Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Colostomy: 1 piece vs 2 piece

06-10-2011, 07:00 AM   #1
lotte26

Colostomy: 1 piece vs 2 piece

Hello lovelies!

As you probably know I am a newbie colostomy bag lady. I have tried several bags and was just wanting some opinions on some things.

First off, is it normal for a flange to lift up around the stoma? I used my first 2 piece the other day and have had it on for three days. I have been noticing that output is getting under the seal though, and this worries me... The stoma nurse said it was fine because I have a colostomy, but seriously, poo on skin, any kind is not a good thing IMO. Tonight the poop was about 1 cm under the seal too, perhaps I squidge my bag to much to move poo down? Do any of you guys do this or just let it sit there and eventually fall down. I don't think I have had a big a poo for that to happen .. Lol.

Second, do you colostomates prefer one pieces or two pieces? I like the idea of two pieces much much more as I can't bear the thought of pulling off the flange two or three times a day! I have very thin sensitive skin. But on the other hand I don't want poop sitting on my skin for up to a week. Ew.

Anyway your opinions would be appreciated!

-Charlotte

Crohn's disease since 2002, with multiple fistulae

25 May '11 : colostomy formed, 70cm bowel removed + 50cm ileum removed.

16 October 2015 - open parastomal hernia surgery to be performed

Past Failed Meds: Pentasa, azathioprine, methotrexate, Humira.

Current Meds: Humira, azathioprine, fluoxetine, Brevinor, Fish oil, melatonin
06-10-2011, 07:10 AM   #2
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I use a 2 piece, I'm with you, I can't stand the thought of using a one piece that stays on for a week that I can't clean thoroughly...lol My flange doesn't lift around my stoma at all and seem to only get a bit of output under it when it's getting to week point and it's time to change anyway. If it's a real problem, you can always put paste around your stoma and see if that helps or you can keep experimenting with different appliances.

I'm a poo mover too. I find I get a vacuum in my bag and it won't move on its own sometimes, so I do move it away from Oscar. Doesn't seem to affect my flange at all though.

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

06-10-2011, 01:31 PM   #3
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Charlotte, I was thinking you could use a barrier ring as well under the appliance. That should help!

I was quite used to the one piece system. But I'm absolutely not going back to them unless I have to. (as in run out of everything else)

The two piece allows me to use a small bag for day, and a larger one for night. As a pigmy, this is a good thing! The small bag less visable obviously, the bigger one for night and early morning, and when I'm having my coffee of course.

HTH,
Misty
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
06-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #4
poolside

Would a 1 piece allow you to use the liner bags? Or do you need a 2 piece for that?

Making Crohn's sexy since 1995

Remi: 6 years, the love affair is over now :-(
Hysterectomy
Ovarian cancer : treated

Resection/Colostomy 2011
Cancer recurrence

Colostomy Reversal 2011
06-13-2011, 06:31 AM   #5
poolside

Actually can anyone tell me the benefit of using a 1 piece system? I am very curious to know what the benefit of it is...
Also, what is the benefit of using a non drainable pouch? is it cheaper or something?

Charlotte, I use the coloplast paste strips and they do a great job of preventing output from going under my flange, because that was a problem for me in the beginning.
And yes, I'm a nudger lol. I can't stand it when output comes out and is sticking straight out into no mans land. I want it down in the bag where it can live happily ever after. Until I drain it....
06-13-2011, 07:27 AM   #6
Nyx

My Support Groups:
You can't use a liner with a one piece because you need to be able to change it every time you go poop (or as often as you want to change it). Plus, I don't see there being a way to get it in the bag anyway. It has to stick out the opening so it just doesn't fall into the bottom of the bag and become useless.
06-13-2011, 07:29 AM   #7
Nyx

My Support Groups:
http://colomajic.com/

Watch the video to see how the liners work. They work with drainable and non-drainable pouches. I use non-drainable because I don't use the drain anyway so what's the point of having a lump digging into my crotch if I don't have to? lol
06-13-2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Poolside, I personally dont see the benefit of a one piece system. I have one on now because it was my emergency backup at work. Had a problem yesterday with the bag. My fault, not the bags! Anyway, when you get a whiff of something folks...run to the loo with your supplies before it's too late! Luckily, I got there before it was a big problem!

As for non drainable, I guess if you have a two piece non drainable it'd be ok for folks with colostomies maybe? Not for us ileostomists though! But you'd be changing the bag alot?
Misty
06-13-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
poolside

what's the point of having a lump digging into my crotch if I don't have to? lol

Hehe

Once I get rid of Mr. Burns I'm going to try a snap closure type system where I can use these liners, because I am loving the idea of flushing away instead of cleaning out the darned bag each time.
06-13-2011, 09:21 PM   #10
Nyx

My Support Groups:
poolside...once you try them you'll never go back to flushing out your bag again...just sayin'...best invention EVER!!!
06-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #11
kekemonster101

I have had both an ileostomy and a colostomy and I have to say that closed pouches are wonderful. When I had the drainable pouches, I always remember it being very unclean - having to rinse out the bag, the little tag at the end never really being clean, etc.

With a closed pouch, when your bag gets full, you just throw the bag in the trash and put on a nice, new fresh pouch every time. Its the two piece system similar to tupperware. I like the hollister brand because it has a little raised flange you can press on instead of your stomach.

Regarding the colomajic liners, they dont hold very much in them.. I only use them in an emergency when im running low on closed bags. When you have drainable pouches, usually insurances only pay for like 10 bags a month, which makes sense. However, with a closed pouch, usually they allow for at least 2 bag changes a day, or 60 a month.

I highly recommend you check out closed pouches - so much cleaner and nicer! (However they may not be ideal if you have very liquid output)
Extreme malabsorption
Previous ileostomy - currently have colostomy
PEG Tube
Several surgeries incl. Fistulas, Abscesses, Resection
2 Deep Vein Thrombosis
Completely bedbound as of 2010

Currently on:
Tysabri (first dose 6/2011)
Hydrocortisone
Probiotics Align+Acidophilus
Iron/Multivitamin/Zinc/Calcium/Vitamin D
Oxycodone
Testosterone
Krill oil
L-Glutamine

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » Colostomy: 1 piece vs 2 piece