Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » For those who have had surgery.


06-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #1
Grey Hawk
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
For those who have had surgery.

I had a reaction about 18 days ago and I have a question. For first few days my stool was long skinny pieces. Then it became normal which was great to see because I haven't had a normal movement in almost a year. Well over the last few days it's been getting loose and normal. If I go more than once a day, lets say twice its usually normal then loose or loose then normal.

Is this something I should worry about? My surgeon did say my movement would be all over the place until I get a new normal 3 months from now. But I'm just scared I'm getting sick again even though the area they removed contained 95% of my crohns.
06-12-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
Jennifer
Adminstrator
 
Jennifer's Avatar
95% isn't 100%. Some people do have issues right after or the same year or the next year after their surgery so its always best to be on the safe side and report any changes to your GI doc. For me I don't recall having that issue but my surgery was over 10 years ago. It sounds like there's a slightly narrowed portion but it could be due to inflammation. Are you taking any maintenance drugs currently?
__________________
Diagnosis: Crohn's in 1991 at age 9
Surgeries: 1 Small Bowel Resection in 1999; Central IV in 1991-92
Meds for CD: 6MP 50mg
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
06-12-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
archie
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Hi Grey Hawk I had the surgery in Nov and it certainly can fluctuate... what is normal anyway??? my GI doc actually discharged me after the surgery and said if there's a change in bowel habits go back to him!! well that makes me laugh as they change on a daily basis... on a serious note I actually became more constipated after the surgery nearly as if everything was a bit sluggish but if i eat certain things it can go the other way with diarrhea, it's a bit like having IBS now which I actually have never had before... I have not had stringy poo since the op though as that is a sign of inflammation keep an eye on it. Did you have your IC valve removed as this will lead to loose movements for a bit, I'd have to say 90% of the time i'm normal though once a day normally formed etc then the other 10% is a combo. Hope this is of some help and remember your only a couple of weeks post surgery things should settle down but if your worried or have any other symptoms go and get it checked.
__________________
Archie

Diagnosed Crohn's 2010
ileocecal resection 2010
Meds: Nil and in remission

06-13-2011, 12:13 AM   #4
Grey Hawk
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
95% isn't 100%. Some people do have issues right after or the same year or the next year after their surgery so its always best to be on the safe side and report any changes to your GI doc. For me I don't recall having that issue but my surgery was over 10 years ago. It sounds like there's a slightly narrowed portion but it could be due to inflammation. Are you taking any maintenance drugs currently?
Not currently no, I go in on Tuesday to see my GI and talk about what drugs to start back up on.

I know I did have a narrow area, but that was removed with the surgery. The little bit I had left was somewhere in my small intestines and they said it wasn't a big deal.
Reply

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » For those who have had surgery.
Thread Tools


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.
Copyright 2006-2017 Crohnsforum.com