• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story-Just got out of hospital and New!

Hi everyone!

I just turned 38 June 5=) At least I had a great birthday and vacation before I got sick. My story starts back in 2007 when all of a sudden I started have diarrhea real bad..thought it was a virus and ended up in ER when my HR hit 160/min. I was put in the hospital on IV's and took several days to get my HR down and dr. thought it was salmanella and gave me IMODIUM..yep! Then I went home and was sitting at computer when I felt something pop in my stomach..ran to bathroom and it was pure blood...guess a fisture burst?? Didn't know that at a time..but that was just the beginning of my heartache..over the next 3 months I was in 3 different hospitals..stuck a million times while the drs. were wondering what in the world was going on. I weighed 122 then and went down to 98 lbs. I finally ended up with a colonoscopy and one dr. told me it was crohns and then the surgeon was like it was ulcerative colitis. I didn't want to take that diagnosis and I was told I would be on asacol for the rest of my life. I hate medicine so I declined that after I started feeling better and just assumed since I was getting better it was food poisoning and that was that...

Fast forward to this past Friday...I had eggs and biscuits for breakfast--then at lunch at a dip that I made with sour cream and mayonnaise that was kind of spicy. I know that last time I just took a couple bites of the dip weeks ago I got bad cramps but just thought that was a bug. Well about 2:30 I got the worse cramps..I thought I was going faint...came with diarrhea..and then about 4:30..the blood came again..I freaked out!!! Immediately thought back about what happened. I went to hospital my blood count was low- severely dehydrated already..and they put me in and gave me Cipro and Flagel? They stopped in the next morning due to E-Coli going around and it shutting down kidneys if you are on the antibiotics. My Wbc went down though from 13500 to 7000. Then next morning I had about 5 diarrhea episodes and it had blood in them but not a whole lot..they came later and typed my blood cause it was down to a 9 and they were going to have to transfuse at 7. Fast forward some more..I had a endoscopy - showed 2 gastric ulcers- small hiatal hernia--reflux and pretty raw in deodunum (sp?) also. THey are going to have to wait a little bit to do the colonoscopy for this time to see what damage it has been over the last 3 years...they have told me today that they are 95% sure Crohns is what I have...so here I am joining you today! To date...I have suffered with...

Mitral valve prolapse (racing heart)
Medullary Sponge Kidney Disease (diagnosed a year ago)
Nodule on thyroid they are watching closely it is getting huge
Ruptured L5-S1 back in 2005
Just found 5 nodules on my right lung they are watching and will redo a scan in August (they are very small)
Endometriosis (just showed up with this on CT Friday night)
Enlarged Cervix (found this time also)
Kidney Stones

Wonder why I feel like I am going crazy at 38! I have literally really had me a cry today...if you have stuck with me this long..thank you for reading and hope to get to know you all!!

Terri (Wife to Steve and mother to Darrian, Emily and Savannah)

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
There's no shame in having a good cry after all that. Hope you get a concrete diagnosis soon along with the proper meds to get at least something under control. Glad you found us and welcome to the forum! :D

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Terri and welcome to the forum...sounds like you have been through the wringer!

On a side note - kidney stones come along with Crohns'....hopefully the doctors get things under control and get you on a good regimine of medication.....

Boo! I’m sorry you have been having a hard time. I hope you are feeling like yourself again soon. On the bright side, you found us! I promise that this forum can be a great help to you in times of trouble.
Good luck and welcome!

Welcome to the forum, I have to say this place is a safe haven for those with IBD and hopefully it will be for you too!!

ameslouise

Hi Terri and welcome!

Yes, we all need a good cry once in a while! When I was first DX, i cried for 3 months and couldn't say the words "Crohns Disease" without bursting into tears!

Have you and your doc put together a treatment plan in terms of meds?

Hope you can find something soon that has you feeling much better!

- Amy

Thanks Amy,
Not yet...I go see the surgeon that did my endoscopy in about 2.5 weeks again...then they need to get an actual 100% diagnosis...but I will be seeing the Obgyn next week to see when he can do a laparoscopy because they also found endometriosis and my uterus is twice the normal size due to a tumor in there=( I don't know if I am coming or going most days!! lol...hope you are doing good!! Hugs!!