• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story

In 2003 I spent many months on the toilet, wasting away. I thought I just had the beer $#!+'s, but it lasted way too long. I lost 25 lbs. in two weeks...I thought I was dying. I missed a bunch of work and finally got so sick that I was balling my eyes out (while evacuating from both ends on the toilet). I knew something was seriously wrong.

I went to the emergency room at the nearest hospital and they ran a bunch of tests that revealed zero answers. The following weekday, I seen my "regular" doctor (up until this point, I very seldom seen a doctor for anything...pretty healthy) who referred me to a GI for a Colonoscopy.

The GI determined that I was experience some very acute symptoms of a Crohn's flare. This made me almost crap myself with fear, except that I already emptied myself of feces earlier that day. The GI suggested that I begin a daily regimen of Asacol. This made me sick(er) for a few days until he adjusted my dosage.

I had only one flare since diagnosis, and that was in 2005 (two years from diagnosis). The only thing that I was prescribed that actually made feel better was Prednisone (which is like taking crazy pills). During my first two "trips" on Pred, I also had to take Fosamax to help prevent Osteoporosis. After my second flare (2005) I was prescribed a daily regimen of Azathioprine (generic of Imuran). This seemed to keep me in remission forever...

...the summer of 2009 delivered even more symptoms, which I never had before: hemorrhoid>fistula>abscess. This was the worst month of my life...seriously. I had a surgery which lead me to quit my job (truck driver). During this period I was taking Asacol, Azathioprine, Flagyl, Cortifoam (steroidal foam for up the @$$) and some stool softener. I hated my day to day.

Six months later, I was fully healed on the back-side. Spring of 2010 brought on another Crohn's flare. This one was more the first two, so I had a good idea how to manage it. Once again, at my request, I was put on Pred. This brought me back to my normal self, except this time I made some serious adjustments to my diet.

Now that I have been unemployed, I have bad insurance that refuses to cover my Asacol prescription. So, they have to give me something covered. This is Balsalazide. These pills are the size of my toes and I'm supposed to take nine a day...sometimes I manage to consume more than five a day.

I am on this forum today because for the last two weeks I have been gradually becoming more symptomatic. I want to avoid Pred, but it seems that it is the only thing (that I've had / have access to) that works for me.

I started working out (P90x) on a regular basis back in March. Everything was going great: I lost some body fat (205 lbs > 190 lbs), I started to see some excellent muscle gain in my arms, chest, back and abs...I felt better than ever. Until week five of P90x came around. I started having a sore @$$ hole, kind of like when I had the surgery in 2009. I was scared. Then, right when I started feeling that pain, I started to get very gassy, crampy and crappy. I stopped the routine because I felt so bad.

I started to feel much better, almost like normal. I started the P90x routine over again. Things were going great again...even better than the first time. Now, here I am at week five, almost like clockwork feeling like hell again. I have decided to quit the routine again because clearly it is aggravating my Crohn's. I know the diet isn't the best for Crohnies, so I have altered to suit my gastro requirements. But I think that routine is too intense for my guts. Once I recover, I am going to start a more practical and paced routine because I have discovered that I really enjoy exercise and weight-lifting.

Last edited:

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I hope you find a diet and exercise plan that works for you. I understand the crumby insurance business where they don't pay for the meds you need and you take what you can get even if it doesn't work as well. Hope that changes for everyone some day soon. I'm glad that you found us! Welcome to the forum! :D

ameslouise

Hi Larry -

First, love the username. Made me laugh out loud! Second, love your sense of humor and down to earth attitude. It likely has helped you a lot in dealing with this disease!

Sounds like you have had many ups and downs over the past few years! I hope the drugs that your insurance does cover work for you - sometimes it does take a blast of pred to calm things down, and luckily pred is cheap!

Hope the diet and exercise routine can help get your flare under control. Good luck!

-Amy

David

Co-Founder
First off, great username :) Second, welcome to the forum and thank you for sharing your story! It sounds like you've been through a lot!

If P90X is a bit too intense but you like the general idea of it, you may want to look into yoga. Check out www.yogaforums.com (Disclaimer: I admin there as well) if you have any questions about it.

Anyway, I wish you nothing but the best. I hope you're able to avoid the pred this time around but if not, here's to it getting you feeling good, fast.

*hugs*

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Larry and welcome! I agree with David, P90X is a VERY intense work out even for someone who is completely healthy. So, I don't think it is ideal for a Crohnie. I exercise regularly (I don't when I am symptomatic) by doing light cardio - free weights and bike or treadmill for about 20-30mins - nothing intense. I used to do a lot of ab exercises before diagnosis, but I find it upsets things, so I now avoid them. But the light cardio seems to keep me moderately in shape all over. I sure hope if you take a break from the workout, you will start to feel well again.

@xJillX

It has been over a week now since I did any of the P90x workouts. I decided that it is simply too strenuous for me, being a Crohnie. Since I have quit the workout and the whey protein, my symptoms have gradually decreased. Now I feel pretty good. I think it is a combination of abandoning P90x and the fact that I started to drink Ensure daily. The Ensure seems to help me keep the muscle mass that I gained during the workout. Once I have fully recovered I intend to customize a routine that is easier on my guts (some resistance and some cardio).

Thanks for the support.