• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Remicade / infliximab

remicade / infliximab

hiya

i have been referred to a reumatologist to give me remicade as the sacroiliatis is not controlled by the methotrexate alone (the crohn's is).
i heard some storied about people who got very aggressive lymphoma as a result of getting remicade, which really scares me.

Does anybody know anything about it?

thanks!!

Gal

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Gal - I believe the lymphoma is more prevalent (like double the chance of a 'normal person'?) in young males when taken with another drug (Imuran maybe)...it has been discussed here on the forum.

I've been on remicade since the fall of 2005.....not sure if it helps my sacroiliatis or not - but at least I haven't had a big flare of it! Achy now and again is pretty much it....

Thanks for that!

Here in the UK, remicade is only licensed with methotrexate. i guess i don't really have a choice, but try it.

will let you know:)

Gal

ameslouise

Hi Gal and welcome!

The listed side effects of Remi and Humira both can be quite scary. But remember that these side effects are very uncommon, and like Paso said, mostly occurs in younger males.

Good luck - I hope it does the trick for you and has you feeling better soon!

- Amy

thanks David and Amy! much appreciate your help and thoughts. I guess I get nervous as I work in cancer research and have seen several patients with lymphoma as a result of remicade. as a mum to young children it scares me:-(

i think i should find another line of work......

Gxx

Galmaier - Def get another job!!!! It doesnt help being on the other side does it??? I work in a hospital so everyone i meet is sick!!! I'm kinda going on the same route, once I finish my liquid diet, the consultant wants me to think about remicade and I alo have small children, Not yet looked into it but I have been told by colleagues the amazing difference it can make with patients they have seen on their ward. Its a balancing act for sure. Let me know what you decide xx

Hi Sam

Most of my colleagues are just fascinated by the science behind it, the others told me about the lymphoma patients......
I am going to see the reumatologist on Monday as the remicade will be for the sacroiliatis rather than the crohn's that is controled by methotrexate.
I was referred to see her over a month ago by my gastroentrologist. After a lot of chasing mainly by my GP, I finally got an appointment - the joy of the NHS....

I will let you know after seeing her:)

Gal xx

anyone on metacaptopurine/6mp and scared of lymphoma or later-year risks? I'm not gonna lie I'm starting to get freaked out. I finally have just gotten off of it after 6 years. And I think they were the most vulnerable times too bc i was only 14. Then i'm on 3,000 mg of pentasa everyday. And just went to nexium 40 mg a day instead of omerprazole 80 mg a day. I don't know. Just freaking a little.. I just would like the know the percentages of attending other illnesses. I like percentages :p