Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » That SUPER SATISFYING itch

06-15-2011, 10:30 PM   #1
kekemonster101

That SUPER SATISFYING itch

Does anyone else sometimes experience an extremely satisfying itch in the area around their stoma?

When changing my wafer, I take a soft damp paper towel and just itch the area. Oooh! Its the most satisfying scratch in the WHOLE world! This can only be achieved with a stoma! It works best when the skin is very slightly irritated or has some paste/wafer residue. Sometimes I just sit for like ten minutes rubbing the skin. Aaaah. Transcendence redefined!

When I was told I was going to have to get another surgery for a colostomy, I actually looked forward to being able to scratch it.

This also might sound strange, but I hate those little hairs very close to my stoma. They make pulling off the wafer more painful and stuff just sticks in them. Ive learned that my skin prep wipes makes the hairs stand up straight and stiff, and make them visible. Then, they are yours for the plucking! Doing that is somehow satisfying too. Like picking a scab.

You have to have a stoma to understand. People without one just cant know the satisfaction of the itch. Thats OURS only!
Extreme malabsorption
Previous ileostomy - currently have colostomy
PEG Tube
Several surgeries incl. Fistulas, Abscesses, Resection
2 Deep Vein Thrombosis
Completely bedbound as of 2010

Currently on:
Tysabri (first dose 6/2011)
Hydrocortisone
Probiotics Align+Acidophilus
Iron/Multivitamin/Zinc/Calcium/Vitamin D
Oxycodone
Testosterone
Krill oil
L-Glutamine
06-15-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Nyx

My Support Groups:
I'm a scratcher too...it feels really good to get the flange off and just rub the area! After having it on for a week or more, it's always nice to air it out and let the sun shine on it too...lol

I don't have too many hairs around my stoma...I get the occasional one, and I just pull them out when they pop up. I don't find that as good as the scratching....lol

Crohn's Diagnosis: May 2006
Current meds: none
Surgeries: Colostomy, December 2009

"Never trust a fart." Jack Nicholson, The Bucket List

Oscar is awesome! Loving my life with my stoma (with a hint of poo)!!

06-16-2011, 12:29 PM   #3
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
You colostomy people are making me extreeeeemely jealous!!!

If I scratched around Stan, the wall and sink would no doubt be decorated. Poor Stan, he wants to air out and sing 'Boooorrrrnnnn Frreeeeeeeeeeee', but NO, no can do!

Misty
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
06-16-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
CDDad

Too funny! I could not tell from your nickname if you were a man, or just a woman with a hairy belly (yuk). I found your name in your first post (Eric) so that answers that!

When I change my wafer every 4 days, I do it in the shower and shave off those little hairs. I would not want to deal with pulling off a wafer with hair - ouch!

As for the itch, I might take that as a bad sign. Lucky for me, but I've been 99% itch free for months now. If I had that itch, I would make sure there was not some leakage going on or maybe an allergic reaction to the wafer tape, etc. It feels good to scratch that itch, but just don't draw blood!
On Protonix and Humira.
06-16-2011, 04:23 PM   #5
Nyx

My Support Groups:
The itch isn't a bad sign...it's a sign of a flange being on for a week or so...my skin just wants to breath the free air I have no skin issues around my stoma at all (knock wood). It's kind of like that itch when you have a cast removed...omg...oh so good!! And yes, Joe's right, don't scratch so much that you bleed..that would be bad...
06-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #6
kossy

about once every two weeks I will shave the area around the stoma. I change my bag in the shower. When I take it off in the shower I like to put the hand held shower head on a soft spray and point it right at the area around my stoma, Jeb. I agree it's a very satisfying feeling you can't get any where or any how else.
06-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #7
Julie1971

Hi

I only have an itch when I have a leak and if I scrathched it the way you do kekemonster, my skin would bleed
06-18-2011, 11:42 AM   #8
kekemonster101

Of course, you gotta scratch gently! The trick is not just to scratch with your raw hands or with a dry towel, you gotta get a real soft paper towel (I like to use viva as they are really soft) and then wet the towel and put a drop of baby soap on it to reduce the friction. Then you reduce the risk of irritating your skin and you can scratch away!

I wouldnt scratch too much though if its red and raw. I agree with you, Nyx, it is similar to getting a cast off and itching it

Another trick I do when changing my bag is to take a paper towel and fold it a few times and take the corner and use it to itch the little area between the wafer and my stoma Sometimes I have to stop when I realize my stoma is bleeding a little though!! :X
06-19-2011, 03:59 PM   #9
Julie1971

Haha... you have really perfected that tecnique. I will try!!!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Stoma Subforum » That SUPER SATISFYING itch