Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Do you take naps? Please answer!

View Poll Results: Do you take naps, please answer
Yes 105 78.36%
NO 29 21.64%
Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

06-17-2011, 11:37 AM   #1
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Do you take naps? Please answer!

Hi all, I really hope you are doing well and if not hang in there. Most people know I have the greatest hubby in the world but this morning he mocked me about being tired. First of all because we have a mail strike going on, some idiot phoned me at 7am and woke me up after a night of insomia. I have company coming, I have had to clean the carpets, run the dogs 3 times a day, go shopping for food, mow the lawns (2 acres) water HIS veggie garden, my flowers, fill the rain barrels, and I was tired this morning. He isnt home til next week and no time for myself.

So my question (many of my crohnie friends do) do you nap and how often? I can't because if I do I wake up with a hangover, just never could.

My husband will see this and know that I have reasons for being tired and he KNOWS I am not a morning person .

Thanks in advance, even if you arent a crohnie I want to know, so go, poll for me lol.

Love and laughter.
06-17-2011, 11:53 AM   #2
ChefShazzy

I love naps!
I get one in whenever I can. Even with a full night's sleep, I run out of energy mid-afternoon. I used to eat a snack to get a boost of energy, but a nap usually gives me the rest I need, without the calories...
Meds: Double-dose of Remicade, every 6 weeks
*I'm going to start saying I'm in REMISSION now! Three years since my last hospitalization!*
06-17-2011, 12:56 PM   #3
rygon

My Support Groups:
not normally but when in a flare I am so tired i just fall asleep around 5ish, normally wake up at 7-8 then back to bed after a couple of hrs up.
06-17-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
lookame

My Support Groups:
I've always been very tired ever since high school. I've also been anemic too so I get tired very easily and it's hard to catch my breath. I often end up taking a nap before work or during the day just to get an extra boost of energy.

Bloodwork is indeterminate IBD, biopsies are crohns positive, symptoms and visually it's UC

Current meds-
Prednisone, humira, 6mp, and lialda
awaiting surgical consult

Mom of Little Z
eosinophilic esophagitis 5/2015
06-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Rebecca85

I try really hard not to, but some days I get so tired I can't function. Or I just fall asleep where I am.

125mg azathioprine
4g Pentasa
06-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #6
Grumbletum

My Support Groups:
I don't like napping, and haven't really done so since the first trimester of my pregnancy when I seemed to be tired all the time. When this all flared up, I spent so much time sleeping.
I now have a job where I start at 6 am, so I'm usually in bed pretty early these days. I don't like napping, cos if I do fall asleep, that's usually me out for 2 or 3 hours and when I wake up I feel disoriented. But there are days when I just can't keep my eyes open and there is no point in trying to stay awake because I am just not going to achieve anything :-)

Previous: Prednisolone, Mesren, Omeprazole, Infliximab, Azathioprine
Current: Pentasa, Librax, Warfarin
Helen x
06-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Crohn's 35
Inactive Account

Thank so much for those who have polled, it doesnt surprise me, so what about the rest of ya!
06-17-2011, 05:21 PM   #8
bushydougie

I have a nap almost every day. On days I work I normally come home and go straight to bed for an hour just so I can function for a bit in the evening. I don't want my life to be just work and sleep so by having a nap I can do something in the evening even if its just sitting watching tv with my boyfriend!
I wish I didn't have to snooze but I Don't think I'd cope. Fatigue is one of my worst symptoms and coupled with insomnia I rarely don't feel tired
06-17-2011, 05:29 PM   #9
Crohn's Mom

My Support Groups:
Gab slept 16 hours (from 10 p.m. last night until 2 p.m.) today ! And here it is 6:30 p.m. and she says she's ready to go back to sleep! (she's supposedly in remission right now??) I say hell yes you deserve a nap Pen !!
and Austin (18)
DX: Crohn's 7/2013
06-17-2011, 08:58 PM   #10
Jennifer
Adminstrator

Me: I don't nap as a routine thing but if I'm really tired and don't have anything else to do of importance then I'll just go to sleep no matter what time it is. :P I'm currently dealing with depression right now so I'm doing my best to not take any naps at all and try to wake up earlier and go to bed earlier. I have insomnia too and it sucks but a nap can make me feel a lot worse. I prefer to just get the day over with.

Sister with Crohn's: My sister who also has Crohn's doesn't take naps either cause she thinks they are a waste of time and I tend to agree (unless you really need it).

Sister without Crohn's:
My oldest sister who doesn't have Cohn's but has 2 kids does take a nap every single day no matter what she has to do that day. She started doing this WAY before she even had kids so I don't really think her kids are that much of a factor. If you wake her up in the middle of a nap, Heaven help you. I called her one day because I needed a ride to the hospital and her husband answered and said she was napping but he would try and wake her. She screamed and yelled at him saying she didn't care who was calling or why. I took a cab. Naps make her evil. If she doesn't get a nap, she's fine, she just gets tired sooner but doesn't act all crazy.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
06-17-2011, 09:42 PM   #11
GutlessWonder86
Forum Monitor

Hey Pen, are you sure your husband and my husband are not related? lol

Mine is the best husband as well BUT when I don't feel so hot, he makes fun of me too if I have to take a nap.

I have to water HIS veggie garden and flower garden as well as do house hold chores. I am NOT a morning person either. I take naps when I feel tired. I don't care if the dishes are in the sink. They aren't going any where. The dust bunnies will still be under the bed multiplying so it can wait.

I have learned to listen to my body. If I am hurting (right now I am recovering from a nasty abdominal abscess that had to be treated in the hospital as an inpt. via IV antibiotics & opened/drained in the ER. Fun times!) I stop what I am doing, take something for the pain, and lie down. Don't care about what anyone says or thinks. They can pound salt for all I care.

GO FOR IT PEN!!! Take that NAP!!! Your body is saying, HEY PEN!! You are a Crohnie, not wonderwoman and guess whaaaaaaaattttttttttt.....sometimes we are going to drain everything you HAVE because we can. To that I say....Crohn's, you are a pain in my hiney! I am going to take care of ME!! IF I WANT TO NAP, I will NAP to re energize myself.

This is one crohnie who is "BEHNIND" you 100%!!!!

~Gutless Wonderwoman
06-17-2011, 10:18 PM   #12
Gue33

I wanted to vote yes, but I can only nap on weekends. Even then I am such a light sleeper the fridge running wakes me up. Working towards retirement, then I will DEFINITELY NAP!!!
06-21-2011, 11:44 AM   #13
social me

I take naps all the time and off and on I suuffer from insomnia. Its the worst part about this disease in my eyes. I feel lethargic much of the time. You have crohns you need to listen to your body not your husband. If you are tired then you need to take a nap or your body wont get better and you wont feel good. I do feel lazy at times but I remind myself it's not by choice but because I am sick. Take care of you!
Asacol 400mg 2pills 3x daily
Remicade First treatment for Crohns 4-12-11
B12 shots once a week

Been on Remicade for over 2 years for other immune disorder I have. Docs not sure this treatment will be effective for me as a treatment for Crohns.

Come to me and I will give you rest -- all of you who work so hard beneath a heavy yoke for I am gentle and humble, and you shall find rest for your souls; Matthew 11: 28-29 TLB
06-21-2011, 12:21 PM   #14
MumofOli

My Support Groups:
Oli is 9 and he so tired at the moment, he is a really active boy but he will not give in and have a nap so I put him to bed early.

I feel for everyone who has this awful disease.

Dx Crohns March 2011

Infliximab Infusion every 8 weeks since July 2013
Asacol 400mg x 3
Maxepa (Omega 3) 1000mg - stopped Aug 2014
Omeprazole 10mg - stopped Nov 2011
15ml Galfer (iron) - stopped Sept 2011
Manuka 20+ honey
No more Pred
Cannot tolerate Azathriopine (Imuran)

06-21-2011, 12:33 PM   #15
Terriernut

My Support Groups:
Oh, I so wish I could nap!!! I have to be very very ill to nap. Otherwise it's like I wake up feeling worse!

Never mind the fact that napping is impossible because theres a full day of work to do, and then another full evening of chores to do.

I wish I could nap! And shame on your hubby!!!!
DX Crohns Feb 2011, symtoms 1997, 2009 and then WHAM! Emergency surgery for perforated sigmoid, fistula through fallopian tube, septic and near dead: Colostomy-Stan was born 22/12/10. Another parastomal hernia, his name is Ollie and he is MONSTER size!
4gm Pentasa
6MP 50mg
06-21-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
closedingirl

I nap nearly every day. The fatigue just hits me very hard. My fiance is very supportive, though. He uses that time to play WoW.
06-21-2011, 01:24 PM   #17
Swirl

It just sounds like hes bothering you on purpose lol
That hangover or sick feeling I sometimes get. I only take a nap if I'm sleepy.
06-21-2011, 03:12 PM   #18
ekay03
My dog has hands!

almost every day at 3:00 I sleep for about an hour and twenty minutes.
Nexium
Buspar
Zoloft
amlodipine
clonidine
Ferrous Sulfate
Folic acid
multivitamin
Bentyl as needed
Lyrica x2 daily for pain
Norco as needed for pain
Ondansetron as needed for nausea
Miacalcin for the bones
That's a lot of stuff, but I feel good

Friend me: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=580468712
06-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #19
tiloah

My Support Groups:
I try really hard not to, but some days I get so tired I can't function. Or I just fall asleep where I am.
This is what happens to me. I work full time, otherwise I would probably nap early in the day. As it is, I get home around 5 and try to avoid getting in bed. If I do nap I won't sleep well at night. But I just get so tired.
06-22-2011, 12:58 PM   #20
tflock

My Support Groups:
Yes I nap quite a bit. I usually do at around 3 in the afternoon because that is when I get home from school. I nap about 3 times a week I would guess. I feel that it always helps me get through the day, especially when my treatment was not going so well. If I get out and do stuff all day I really feel like I need a nap in the evening. A fun fact that I have heard is that statisically, people who nap live longer...dont know if that is true though.
06-22-2011, 09:36 PM   #21
social me

i am only active for 5 hours a day and my naps are 2 to 5 hours long. Dont feel bad it just means thats what your body needs. It is not fun and I hate missing so much but I know If I dont care for myself I will get even worse. I am also in a flare. we all feel and understand how frustrating this is. Hope your day gets better!
06-30-2011, 01:43 AM   #22
mayhavecrohn's

My Support Groups:
yes sometimes i take naps

dont have DX yet but may have DX soon
http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/leah.crow1
my fav song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW9zMSwKIdU
06-30-2011, 02:41 AM   #23
crazycanuck

I do now and then. Never used to but after 4 years with my girlfriend who loves a good nap I am now starting to become a napper. I used to hate it because I would wake up feeling worse than I started with however I've started feeling a lot better after mine now.

Diagnosed October 2007
Currently on Remicade 400mg (October 2010)

Tried Budesonide (april 2010-july 2010) & Asacol (october 2007- dec 2009) & Imuran (Dec 2009-Dec 2011)
06-30-2011, 09:10 AM   #24
peleburrows

I do but try but resist if I can otherwise it becomes routine.

I heard 26 minutes was the optimum time to have a nap for.
06-30-2011, 09:24 AM   #25
Lisa
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
Some days I would LOVE to take a nap - but oh so many things to do!.....I have pulled off the side of the road on a long trip (more than 2-3 hours) to shut my eyes - and my husband does that too.....right now I feellike I could lay down and take a nap - but am at work!

30 plus years and counting with UC/Crohn's!
on remicade since 11/05

While my experiences may not be what everyone has had- I feel it is worthwhile to share any and all experiences that may be beneficial to others.
06-30-2011, 12:13 PM   #26
Mountaingem
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Yes, I take naps, but usually for 30 minutes or so-no longer. It definitely helps me through the day with energy.

I WILL STAY STRONG
I WILL FIGHT
I WILL WIN

Current Meds: Cimzia, Methotrexate, Prevacid, Sertraline, Nortryptaline, Prednisone, Atenelol
06-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #27
chez

i love a nap but its only if i can fit it around the kids and jobs,it really help give you a spurt of energy for a few hrs,i love my sleep when im not in the loo,bed is my favorite place
U/c since 93,arthiritis,ostropenia,proctocolectomy and ileoanal pouch since2006,crohns,fat malnutritain but just diagnosed, iritis,currently taking azophiroprine,prednisalone,colifoam,asacol enamas,codeine phospate,calcuim,b12 injections,iron infusions,citrolopram....but i still manage to crack a smile
07-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #28
DougUte

My Support Groups:
Yes, I take naps, not on a regular basis, but sometimes I have no choice.

Crohns Medicines:
Started Humira June 22nd, 2011
Increased to weekly injections on November 1st, 2016
Due to the insurance company, Humira ended on January 31, 2017.
Started Entyvio February 9th, 2017
Loperamide 3 capsules twice a day
Vitamin B6, B12, Folic Acid
Vitamin D3 10000 I.U.
Nature Made Multivitamin
07-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #29
scoutfinch

My Support Groups:
I answered "no", primarily because on weekdays I work about 10 hours a day. However, I am not against napping. Some days I wish I could crawl under my desk and have a 20 minute snoozer

The downside of napping is that it often leaves me groggy - especially if I was excessively tired beforehand and/or the nap lasts longer than an hour. I hate that feeling of having my natural body clock being off kilter.

A well-placed nap can be pretty good though. I remember in my early twenties I would take a nap at 10 PM and wake up at midnight to go out clubbing with friends. Good times.
08-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #30
steelerfan

My Support Groups:
I guess it is refreshing to see mention of the "hangover" feeling. It makes things more clear from a few weeks ago that I was definitely flaring. I had these feelings quite often and sought out nap time as much as I could.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Crohn's Polls » Do you take naps? Please answer!