• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Kanielas Crohn's story-----

I suppose this is the thread to introduce myself. I'm a 27 year old male from Hawaii diagnosed with crohns disease in October of 2010. Prior to being diagnosed, it was very hard for me trying to understand why my body was making such a tremendous physical transformation. I worked out religiously and intensely, and ate massive amounts of a broad range of foods. I did however drink more alcohol than almost everyone i knew in volume and consistancy for the last 6 years. I wasnt into drugs other than an on and off relationship with marijuana, and my childhood was harsh to say the least. I started noticing that it was getting harder to maintain my body weight and experimented with workout supplements to get results. It worked, til I got off of them and then i would shrink. The pain didnt start til after i had already lost around 8 pounds. I hated my stressful job so i thought maybe it would be good to take a break and a basically retired on the funds i had invested and accumulated.

To put it in a nutshell, my life has been changed in such a drastic manor from this disease that i could write about what it has done to me, mentally and physically, for days on end. The pain is something that i couldnt have imagined prior. Perhaps tattoos and burning flesh would be how i would describe it in the core of my body. Loss of weight/appetite, irrational thoughts, sleep apnea, depression, anger, suicidal thoughts and pushing all of my loved ones away was my reality. The holidays were terrible. I almost gave up and died after 5 sets of doctors couldnt find out how to treat me.

Then I met Dr. Falzarano, and after signing a do not resuscitate form before a colonoscopy (ya, i tested my fate), I was ensured with his handshake that this man was going to do everything he could to make me better. He did. This new found hope kick started me into appreciating my life again and i wanted to do everything i could to make the progress. I did. The imuran, prednisone, multivitamins, supplements and extreme dieting (i mean fuckin 500 calories every 3 hours of a short list of bioavailable foods for months!), put me in recession and at the heaviest i've ever been at 5% bodyfat. I was one of those p90x looking before and after photos ON STEROIDS with acne to prove it. My strength in the gym was phenomenal. I had my swagger back.

Then the realization of the uncertainty of this disease reared its ugly head back at me. After doing a bit of celebrating of my met goals, and for once feeling pain free, the symptoms crept back one by one. The tapering off of steroids and a combination of new job stress and alcohol led to the slow retaliation. The war is certainly not over. Although there are days when i feel like i want to go to sleep and never wake up, i do anyway. Because I have to summon the strength and the courage to push on and do everything i can to help others. If there is anything i can do to help any of you wether it be workout routines or tips on how i manage/mishandle my moderate/severe Crohn's disease, dont hesitate to email me. Stay alive partner*

David

Co-Founder
Howzit.

I'm glad you found your way here. Wow, that is quite a story and you're a good writer, you had me transfixed. I'm sorry you've had to go through everything you have. It certainly sounds like you could help others in our Diet and Fitness forum, I hope you take an active interest there :)

In other news, I used to live Hilo side on the Big Island (obviously a haole). MY IBD symptoms literally started as I sat in the Hilo airport waiting to move back to the mainland. I thought I was getting appendicitis as was worried my appendics would rupture on the plane. I WISH that's what it was. Over the next 5 months before I was finally diagnosed, I thought maybe my pain and issues was due to the island being upset that I had left (you know how that goes). I still wonder if maybe I pissed off the island somehow and have to make amends.

Again, great to have you here. See you round brah.

Haha we have lots of $h!# to go around here... sorry.

Welcome to the forums and its nice to see somebody staying so active with this.

Love Hawaii too god I wish I could find some money to go back there, gorgeous place.

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Kaniela and welcome! I am glad you found a good doctor who was able to make the diagnosis, but I am sorry that you still struggle day to day. What treatment are you taking now? Are you still taking Imuran? Perhaps your dose needs to be adjusted.

And I think it is great how you want to help others by providing advice based on your personal experience. You will be a valuable member of our community, especially in our Diet and Fitness forum. Once again, welcome!

thanks you guys. i appreciate it. unfortunately i have to make a trip to the ER today to assess the damage I have recently incurred. CT scan for fistulas etc. kinda worried but atleast this time around I didnt wait until I almost died to seek real attention. wish me luck. thinking about fasting... give me some insight.

Down to 150 from 160
moderate constant pain
severe intermittent pain
force feeding 3 out of 5 meals a day
sleep disorders
and just plain pissed off!!!!

Welcome Kaniela. I am really happy you have found a doctor that actaully cares.

Oh, and if you were talking about fasting because of possible fistulas it won't have an affect on the fistulas.