• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

First Surgery and Scared

Hi guys

I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with me, and perhaps sooth my worries somewhat.

I'm 24 years old and I've been diagnosed with Crohns Disease now since 2007. I've been having a rough time with it lately, having bad flareups which have needed hospital stays, and have been on 75mg of Aza. I have just been for a colonoscopy because the Aza doesn't seem to be doing what it should, I still feel tired, have low fever and am in pain most of the time. The colonoscopy was not good, as they found multiple ulcers, and the couldn't get past the ileocecal valve as it was too narrow :frown: the report came back saying that there was a stricture there, and the consultant now thinks 'surgery is now likely'.

Can anyone please explain to me what this means, and what surgery is like? I've been reading up on the net about surgery, and whilst most people say they feel great afterwards which is something I would really like, I'm so scared about what the procedure entails, how quickly I'll be up and about, and also about whether a colostomy bag will be used?

I'd really appreciate all help, thank you.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi bec and :welcome:

Deep breathes hun! There are heaps of people that have had surgery so you are not alone and no doubt you will get loads of fab advice.

I guess there may two surgeries you could have one being a resection (removing a portion of bowel) or a strictureplasty (open up a narrowed section of bowel without removing any), sometimes they perform both at once. A stoma can really never be ruled when having a resection performed but is generally only necessary if you have extensive inflammation as they can't join two inflamed ends of bowel together. Under these circumstances it is usually temporary, for about 6 months, and then reversed.

Everyone is a little different so have a browse through the surgery forum. Both of my children have had resection surgery and this is a description of what theirs entailed...My Kid's Surgery

Good luck hun, keep browsing and asking questions and welcome aboard!

Take care, :hug:
Dusty. xxx

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Hi Bec and welcome! I have not had surgery for my Crohn's, so I can't offer any advice. However, I can completely understand your worry as I have had numerous other surgeries. It is a bit scary.

Try to think positive. As you said you read, many do very well after surgery - some having years of remission! I sure hope your surgery goes well, you have a speedy recovery, and you feel terrific for many, many years!

hi i had a colostomy done in 2001. i had never been so scared but it was the turning point in my life. i went through hell, always on the toilet, scared to leave the house, but having this operation gave me my life back. i would never change the choice i had to make although at the time it seems so hard. take care and have faith, your life starts here.

bec I just wanted to welcome you and wish you the best. We are glad to have you here. The reason a surgery would be likely is because if you do not correct the stricture your digestive system could be blocked at some point and that would not be good. Do your best to stay positive.

all the best Bec, I too am looking at the possibility of surgery, it's scary but there are so many positive stories on here that it is also hopeful. prayers.

Hi Bec - Best of luck to you! I had emergency surgery for my Crohn's back in 2007 and for me it made a world of difference I feel so much better now and can enjoy life again. I had a resection, 10 or 11 inches of intestines removed and a 10 inch incision. Was off work for 6 weeks and took about 6 months to feel back to "normal" I wish I could be more help.

Hi guys

I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share their experiences with me, and perhaps sooth my worries somewhat.

I'm 24 years old and I've been diagnosed with Crohns Disease now since 2007. I've been having a rough time with it lately, having bad flareups which have needed hospital stays, and have been on 75mg of Aza. I have just been for a colonoscopy because the Aza doesn't seem to be doing what it should, I still feel tired, have low fever and am in pain most of the time. The colonoscopy was not good, as they found multiple ulcers, and the couldn't get past the ileocecal valve as it was too narrow :frown: the report came back saying that there was a stricture there, and the consultant now thinks 'surgery is now likely'.

Can anyone please explain to me what this means, and what surgery is like? I've been reading up on the net about surgery, and whilst most people say they feel great afterwards which is something I would really like, I'm so scared about what the procedure entails, how quickly I'll be up and about, and also about whether a colostomy bag will be used?

I'd really appreciate all help, thank you.
Sounds like they'd be doing a stricturoplasty, if the stricture is what they're operating on. No worries! It's like a colonoscopy, so there'll be no cutting! Unless they do a resection, but I don't think that's likely. I don't know exactly what a stricturoplasty (however it's spelt) feels like, because I've never had one done, but I've never heard terrible complaints.

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you weigh/how tall are you? 75mg aza seems small, especially for someone with obvious ulcers and stricturing.

Hang in there, and stay happy! Surgery is fun, in a weird way! It's like being on tv. :p