• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

6mp fears

My doctor wants to add 6mp to my drug regimen. I am currently on 15mg of prednisone, 40mg of Humira every other week and 1g of Pentasa 4 times a day. For some reason, from all of the research I have done on 6mp, it scares me more than any of the others. Maybe because the risk of ruining your liver is so high. Anyone have any experiences--good or bad? I feel like losing part of my bowels may be less of a concern than possibly ruining my liver....:sign0085:

I'm currently on Gabapentin- 200MG, Prednisone (Weening)-40MG, B12- 100MCG, Lansoprazde DR- 30MG, Amitriptyline HCL- 15MG, 6MP- 50MG.

I haven't been on it for that long-- a couple of weeks maybe. I was on Azathioprine and that did more problems for me. It all depends on how your body responds to a drug. I really don't get any side effects from this medicine and I feel good!

I've been on 100 mg of 6MP daily for the past six years... you have to do blood work regularly but my liver functions just fine and after about 237,000mg I'd say that's a good thing!

I'm on 50mg 6mp. Your doctor should run a prelim blood test to see how you metabolize the drug, the less you can metabolize it the more risk you are in for liver failure and bone death. The point of 6mp is to suppress the immune system supress the production of white cells but also plateltes and red cells can be suppressed at the same time. They should run frequent blood draws to make sure all your levels are fine. They start by doing weekly blood draws, then biweekly, then monthly. It's not bad but there's a lot of precaution they take when they give you the drug.

I have had the bloodwork necessary and my doc feels its a go ahead as far as safety is concerned. I think I just have days where the fear of the future affects from drugs overwhelms me to the point of saying I would rather be taking nothing. Ultimately, I feel this is where I need to go....just have a nagging bad feeling in the back of my head....

A good idead is to keep an eye on your immune responses, are you getting frequent colds lasting longer than normal, are you getting infections, are you bleeding more than normal, ect. Anything which your blood seems to not be doing it's job. If your feeling very weak and tired you should also let your doctor know. They'll run anouther blood test after that checking everything in your blood. Good Luck

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I take 50mg of 6MP everyday and have taken it for over 15 years. I do not have any side effects from it other than when I first started taking it I would get sick fairly often the first few months but eventually that stopped and I don't even get a flu shot each year anymore cause those tend to make me sick rather than avoiding the flu entirely. :p I have blood work done each month to make sure my liver is ok and it still is after all these years. Its currently the only medication I take to keep my Crohn's under control. I've been in remission for 12 years now after my resection. I was on 6MP before and after the resection. In my opinion, there's no reason to fear this drug because you get blood work done often to avoid any sort of liver failure and if you do experience any side effects that are too hard to deal with you can stop taking it cold turkey no matter the dose and try something else immediately.