• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello All. I've lurked here off and on, but now I'm posting. I'd rather not give out my real name just yet, if that's all the same. I'm not a big fan of personal info on the net. But I'm a 30 year old married lady living in Ireland.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease when I was 15 (back in 1995) and have been lucky for the most part. I had a colonoscopy and a barium enema to get diagnosed. When I was first diagnosed, I was put on some blue and green pills, which I don't remember what are called now. I was on them for some time but slowly got off of them due to finances.

For a very long time, I was mostly well. If I didn't eat the wrong things, I stayed okay for the most part. I was always gassy or bloated and often had minimal diarrhea and cramps, but more or less okay. I guess you just deal with the pain/discomfort and get on with things.

Well fast forward to Easter 2011. I overdid things, I admit. I had a lot to eat and a lot to drink and had the worst Crohn's flare-up I've ever had. I was in the hospital for two days getting mesalamine enema's every few hours and prednilisolone 8 tablets, in the mornings. Since leaving the hospital, I'm still on 40mg of prednilisolone in the morning, and 8 tablets of Pentasa (800 mg I think), plus I'm also on Nexium and a calcium supplement as well.

I've mostly felt better since being on the pills but I'm a little concerned about the dosage of the steroid. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for tomorrow. Just about done with the klean-prep (which is the most disgusting thing I've ever had), I don't know if I can manage it all. I'm half way thru my 3rd sachet and it's all yellowish liquid now, and quite painful/bleeding. I should think I've had enough, but I'm not sure. Anyone have any recommendations?

I'm hoping the doctor will take me off the steroid. My teeth are starting to hurt and I'm worried about putting back on the weight which I so painfully lost over Easter. I can't help but wonder if there are any long term side effects from being on the steroids for two months. Does anyone have any input on this as well?

And that's pretty much my story. Thanks for listening and chiming in.

Welcome WW. The blue adn green pill, it was probably Pantasa. Best of luck with your scope tomorrow! Keep us informed and hope you can start to taper off the steriods soon!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Welcome Weasel!! Is this the first time in your long history with crohns that you've been pxed pred? It usually works quickly to get crohns under control so your maintenance med can keep you in remission. If you've managed 16 years w/o pred, I'd say you are likely to get back to good with your pred taper and stay there. Pred certainly comes with a frightful list of side effects but most quickly return to normal after coming off it.

I hope the rest of your prep went well!! Good luck today!

Thanks all!
I had the scope today. They found one ulcer in my small intestine which the doctor was a little surprised the steroids didn't heal.

And yeah this is the first time I was ever on the Pred. The doctor seemed surprised that I had been taking this much for two months so he started to wean me off by -5mg every week until I'm taking no more pred. And I have a follow up appointment in 2 weeks.

Welcome to the forum! We're glad to have you! It's great that your colonoscopy went well, and that they are starting to wean you off the steroids! You never want to be on prednisone longer than you have to. What are they going to do about the ulcer? Keep you on Pentasa?

-Karissa