Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » Drug induced remission for a year or two

06-22-2011, 02:43 AM   #1
stefan

Drug induced remission for a year or two

I've not posted much here, mostly because I haven't had a need to recently

In short:
  • Me: a 25 year old male in Adelaide, South Australia with an interest in all things related to electronics, telecommunications and music, and more recently, funnily enough, medicine
  • Illness: CD diagnosed 2005, inflammation issues with 15 hospital admissions from 2003-2008, drug induced remission from Humira & methotrexate 2009-
  • Study: finished high school 2003 before major onset, and while managed to get in to the B Eng degree of my choice, unable to attend university seriously until drug induced remission 2009-
  • Now: studying full time, visiting friends/family interstate regularly having not gone more than ~100km out of the city 2003-2008, actually have a social life, helped launch an am CTO for a charity for IBD in Australia, helped launch an unrelated political party, etc
So, I've been sick since during my final year of school in 2003, and have not been able to seriously attend university since to complete my B Eng. I started Humira in 2009 and have pretty much got my life back as a result. I'm now in the second year of my degree and have now almost completely reclaimed my life, with no hospital admissions since then, despite about 15 between 2003-2008, and still having had no need for any IBD related surgery.

I'm also taking 20mg/week methotrexate IM, and weaning prednisolone currently at 6.5mg/day, both of which we hope to be able to reduce in the future. While I'm lacking energy with the methotrexate as well as the IBD itself, I am definitely the most active I've been since 2003, and am still improving.
06-22-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Dexky
To save time...Ask Dusty!

My Support Groups:
It is good to see Humira success stories Stefan! I hope there's no need to change your 09-

EJ dx w/ Crohn's 12/09
PSC 3/10

No more 6mp
Currently in the Humira Club
06-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #3
Karissa

I am so happy that the Humira is working for you! You got to take your life back, and that's incredible. Keep going strong!

-Karissa

Surgery on November 6, 2009, age 19
Open ileocecectomy
Currently in remission

Meds tried: Pentasa, Prednisone, Cimzia, Flagyl, Asacol, countless natural remedies

Meds currently taking: 6MP

My reading blog, Addicted to Reading

Walking in Take Steps for Crohn's and Colitis in September, with my team Karissa and Laura's Fabulous Friends. Make a donation here, thank you!
06-24-2011, 09:18 PM   #4
Dayz

My Support Groups:
Thank you for your story! It is always great to hear these.
06-25-2011, 02:22 AM   #5
Jennifer
Adminstrator

I'm glad you were able to get back to school as I know how important it can be. Its good to hear about people not only having success with the illness but success in not letting it get in the way of their life either.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
06-25-2011, 02:33 AM   #6
AndiGirl
Your Story Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thank you for sharing your success story.

Pentasa 2x500mg (4 times a day)
Zofran (as needed for nausea)
Ginger Capsules (for Nausea)
Multivitamin
Zoloft 150 mg
Ranitidine 150 mg (2 times a day)
Entocort 3 mg (3 capsules by mouth for 8 weeks, then tapering to 2 capsules for three months)

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Success Stories » Drug induced remission for a year or two