• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Just found out im pregnant!!!

just found out im pregnant!!!

So two days ago, I took a test.. well actually three and we are indeed pregnant. This would be our first baby and we are really excited. However I have crohns that is under control right now with the use of imuran. I have alot of thoughts going through my mind, im nervous about the crohns itself and taking imuran while pregnant. I have a doctor appointment for the 28th but until then I would love to get some advice from anyone that has some to give :) thank you very much! thanks everyone in advance, Megan! :)

Crohn's Mom

sorry, I don't have any advice for you either, but I wanted to congratulate you !!
:goodluck:

I hope you have a successful and uneventful pregnancy! :)

Congrats my fellow Canuck. Im also a male and therefore have never been preggo. Sorry cant help.

But have any of you ever felt a little guilty about the prospect of potentially passing on CD to their children? The thought crossed my mind when I was initially admitted. People tell me to forget it, but at times I cant help but think about it

Congrats my fellow Canuck. Im also a male and therefore have never been preggo. Sorry cant help.

But have any of you ever felt a little guilty about the prospect of potentially passing on CD to their children? The thought crossed my mind when I was initially admitted. People tell me to forget it, but at times I cant help but think about it
If only one parent has crohns the chances are only 7%. That is a 93% chance to have a healthy child.

I also dont believe we are a slave to our genes. I can do things to ensure my daughter has a healthy upbringing. She eats a whole food diet, with lots of fruits and veggies. She gets lots of fresh air and exercise and I am really picky in what I put in and on her body. So far so good! We can only do our best. Kids get sick even if their parents dont have crohns. I am proof of that.

If only one parent has crohns the chances are only 7%. That is a 93% chance to have a healthy child.
Wow, didnt know that. Thats definitely a reason to be optimistic. Thanks for that. Just out of curiousity, do you know that chances if both parents have it?

Wow, didnt know that. Thats definitely a reason to be optimistic. Thanks for that. Just out of curiousity, do you know that chances if both parents have it?
If both parents have it, I read the chances are more like 40%. But those are still pretty good odds to have a healthy child IMO.

I got those stats from the crohnstoday website, which appears to be hacked so I cant search it. :(

Im sure everyone feels alittle nervous about passing it on, but I dont think guilty is the right word. When I first got diagnosed, I did question my wanting to have a child. But having a child is something Ive wanted all my life and I have a wonderful partner who is very supportive. The way I see if , there is only a 7 percent chance of my passing this on, and if by chance it does happen the child will have the best support team imaginable as we have already went through this with my crohns. I would without a doubt be devastated if I did pass it on, but dont want to deprieve myself of mothering a child because of my disease. I try not to think about it too much, although im sure it will be a worry of mine for some time.

Thank you everyone for the kind words! I plan to keep everyone posted and seek advice. I think this is a wonderful tool for support , from people who truly understand what I am going through. Its starting to set in alittle more now, so excited but nervous as well! One thing that Im wondering is that I do have fistula and I think that it would cause issues for a natural birth am I right? I would love to have a vaginal birth but worried that it will be difficult for me. Lots of time to figure it out I hope :)

Havent posted in alittle while now so I guess time for an update and more questions! Im not 13 weeks and 4 days, and ive been feeling really great! I managed to escape morning sickness and feeling pretty lucky! I seen my GI in July and he told me that my crohns is in remission so that was a huge thing for me, and gives me more hope for a good pregnancy in regards to having trouble with crohns. However, I do think about c -section about everyday.. my GI said because I have some disease on the outside of my bum that I may need to have a section . Im really unhappy about that, I hate it actually. I dont want to be layed up for 6 weeks or more with a new baby . Has anyone got any experience with this or advice to give? I really want to have a vaginal birth and will talk to some other doctors about it as the time nears. I am really anxious to see the OBGYN to see what they think and to weigh my risks. Also , I think i mentioned before but I am still talking imuran but only 100mg a day which im told is a small dose. I know I have no choice but to take it cause I risk flaring but its also something I tend to stress about. I know stress is bad for baby and me but its hard these days, I also found out about two weeks ago that my 22 year old sister has Rheumatoid Arthritis. There is only two of us , and both with auto immune diseases.. this also makes me worry for baby. Anyway I guess thats enough for now.. looking forward to reading advice and responses! thanks in advance :)

OH one more thing, we heard the heartbeat at 10 weeks and it was loud and clear and at 171 , which the old wives tale says it could be a GIRL! heres to hoping :)

Taking Imuran during a pregnancy would scare the stuffing out of me. You're very brave and I wish you all the possible luck in the world!

My daughter was "lucky" enough to inherit CD from me even though my doctors over a decade ago told me that it didn't work that way. Well, it does. Still, what I tell my wife is that I would rather exist than not exist, Crohn's or not, and so would my daughter. We had a second child 2 years ago and we're very optimistic she won't have it, but if she does, so be it.

Taking Imuran during a pregnancy would scare the stuffing out of me. You're very brave and I wish you all the possible luck in the world!

My daughter was "lucky" enough to inherit CD from me even though my doctors over a decade ago told me that it didn't work that way. Well, it does. Still, what I tell my wife is that I would rather exist than not exist, Crohn's or not, and so would my daughter. We had a second child 2 years ago and we're very optimistic she won't have it, but if she does, so be it.
Taking it does scare but, but I was told that if I dont I risk flaring and lose the baby. They say its more risky to not take it than to take it. Many women have had perfectly healthy babies taking it, so I am optimistic.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Glad to hear you are doing so well!

As for the c-section, mine at least wan't that bad...I was in the hospital for 3 days, up and walking the night of (after epidural wore off)....and pretty much doing everything, although gingerly - within a week.....

xJillx

Your Story Forum Monitor
Thanks for the update. I am glad to hear you are doing well.

My friend had a C-Section and said it was a breeze! She was home in a few days and only had some soreness (tough to bend over, lift things) for a week or so after. The scar is hardly noticeable, too. Honestly, my friends and family who had a vaginal birth had a more difficult time recovering from the tearing and hemorrhoids. So, if you have to have a C-Section, it may not be such a bad thing!

Thank you for the positive advice, perhaps I am just psyching myself out over it! However I never was a good healer, I get a scratch and its on me for a week! Hopefully I will get more imput from my doctors ASAP! I really appreciate all your kind words and advice... its so hard to talk to anyone in my life about it really because they dont completely understand.. YES they have had kids but not under the same circumstances! This forum is a lifesaver :)

Congrats on being pregnant!

I'm am pregnant as well (25 wks today) with my 2nd child. My first was born in december of 2008 and at the time of her birth I had 2 perianal fistulas... so my baby was born via csection. I was terrified of the risks of the surgery itself but we both came through it fine and I was on my feet again the next day. This baby is due Thanksgiving and will also be another csection. Because of my medical history and trauma my poor butt has been through already my doctors and I decided to go this route for both babies because it was the easiest way to avoid causing more trauma to an already overly-sensitive area. Sometimes I DO wish I'd been able to give birth naturally... but the end result is the same and before you know it, the whole experience will be a fuzzy memory in comparison to the joy your child will bring you everyday. There ARE women like us who have given birth vaginally with very little problem. I applaud them personally, but because of the severity of MY fistuals that was never really an option. Whatever happens, I wish you a perfect pregnancy and easy birth... and a healthy, happy baby :)