• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Some advice please

Hi my son is 7 years old and has chrons may the 20th 20011 so iam really new to this and really need support of what things i can do to help my little lad. he is at present on the modulin diet and on his 5th week and boy has it been tough they want him on this for 8 weeks but he is really struggling can any one tell me whats its like when they start introducing foods back thanks kate.

Tesscorm

Staff member
Hi Daisy,

Can't help you with the reintroduction of food as my son is in the same boat. He is 16 and was also recently diagnosed (May). Currently he is on Tolerex, liquid diet however he has it overnight through an NG (nasal) tube. During the day, he is allowed only broth, clear juices, jello, freezies. His therapy runs 6 weeks and he has approx 16 days left. But, being 16, he understands the reasons and necessity of following this diet, must be very difficult with a child so young!

His dietician has told me that she rarely sees problems when reintroducing foods. I am meeting with her next week, however, she told me that when food is reintroduced, it will be first soft starches, then soft/low-fat meats and alternatives, soft fruits/veggies and then dairy.

This treatment has taken away all his symptoms, however, I am worried how his Crohn's will react once he starts eating again.

Good luck!

David

Co-Founder
Hi Daisy and welcome!

I strongly suggest you check out our forum for parents of kids with IBD. I think you'll find great info there and others parents who understand what you're going through. And of course, feel free to ask any questions you have in there.

All my best to you and your family :)

Crohn's Mom

Hi daisy,
I just want to say welcome to the forum! I can't help you with the diet stuff, but hopefully we will see you around in the parents forum. There are a lot of lovely parents here and they're all so helpful !

I hope your son starts feeling better quickly...poor thing, 7 is so young :(
hugs,
~T~

I would say if you are reintroducing foods to start one at a time and note if it doesn't agree with him. Food does not cause IBD but if it is irritating to the digestive tract it will make any inflammation worse. What is irritating for some may not be for others. Often avoiding the foods that really irritate you will help. Also, just make sure he doesn't go overboard when adding new foods in. I know that you want to just pig out when you can finally eat, but it puts too much stress on your system. My GI also tells me that I need to eat healthy so my body can help fight the disease and that fiber should be part of the diet...to keep things moving through. (of course you don't need help when flaring!)