• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Acne problems from meds.

Anyway do those of you on 5-asa type medications get acne and how are you dealing with that? Right now the acne on my back is so bad that it looks like I'm afflicted with the plague. At least I can joke about it, but seriously, any body have this and what are you doing about it?

I go back to my doc on thursday with this added to my list of ailments.

Steroids have made my skin much worse are you on these too? Both pred and entorcort make me break out :(
My GP gave me some medicated facial wash but it didn't seem to do very much. I now just use tea tree based products which seem to help but don't stop the spots from coming
Let us know if you find any answers!

I also had acne problems on steroids, but Humira cleared up my skin like nothing I've ever seen!

Actually on Cimzia and breaking out now in a huge way.

While I hate to sound preachy, but while certain meds might state they could cause acne, or any other side effect, every med acts differently in every human body. So if you seem like you're the only one with this side effect, you should talk to your doctor about it.

Anyway do those of you on 5-asa type medications get acne and how are you dealing with that? Right now the acne on my back is so bad that it looks like I'm afflicted with the plague. At least I can joke about it, but seriously, any body have this and what are you doing about it?

I go back to my doc on thursday with this added to my list of ailments.
Hello ,yes i am on 5 -asa, called salofalk, they do not tend to give me any problems but as of right now i am on Steroids and they are giving me many problems with acne.

Thank you for posting this! I'm anxious to hear what you find out. I am on Asacol (a 5-asa med) and I have been noticing a bad breakout lately. I have acne in weird random spots. One on my neck, a few on my chest, and then of course a few on my face. I don't typically get acne, so this is definitely new.

rygon

I know i get acne when im flaring or when im on pred. Pretty painful as well. Ive got some tea tree oil mixed in with aloe vera (also used pure tea tree oil) and although it hasnt cleared them up totally it has help a lot

I've been off the pred now for two weeks. I never really noticed acne when I was on it, just out of control munchies and weight gain. It wasn't untill I was in the 10mg stretch that I noticed bowell disturbances again even being on apriso. Now off of it completely feels like I'm in a full blown flare again with horrible acne. Dont think I'll be getting my back tattoo any time soon with this.

Wow, I'm glad I dont have a lot of the steroid problems others seem to have, but then again maintenance meds give me the nightmares so I guess its two to one half dozen another type thing.

kateel - No Problem...Yeah I've never really had a problem with acne but now its showing up all over the place not to mention my neck looks like a piece of raw hamburger for constantly scratching it. Any way I'm going to ask him to put me back on pred due to flaring and this. Will have to see how it goes thursday.

I dont want to sound like a commercial, but Proactiv is the best acne treatment I have ever used. I used to get horrible infected cystic acne. I wish I would have started using it years ago. I could have save my face some acne scars.

I dont want to sound like a commercial, but Proactiv is the best acne treatment I have ever used. I used to get horrible infected cystic acne. I wish I would have started using it years ago. I could have save my face some acne scars.
That stuff is really working for you? I keep seeing the commercials for that stuff but never really paid much attention to them, I guess I just associated that stuff with accutane.

That stuff is really working for you? I keep seeing the commercials for that stuff but never really paid much attention to them, I guess I just associated that stuff with accutane.
Its nothing like accutane. Its a topical treatment. I started off using it twice a day, but that dried my skin too much, so now I only use once a day, just use plain water when I wash my face the second time in the day. It contains benzoyl peroxide which kills acne bacteria. Also because how benzoyl peroxide kills the bacteria, the bacteria can not become resistant to the treatment. So it works as long as you use it. I started using is about a year ago now, and the only time I broke out really bad was when I left it at home when out of town for 5 days.

Now I have heard for some people it doesnt work, but they will give you a refund if the month supply doesnt work for you.

I get acne from imuran, it was worse in the beginning but as my body adjusted to the drug it became a little better. It's still frustrating to have acne at 24 though =/

I get acne from imuran, it was worse in the beginning but as my body adjusted to the drug it became a little better. It's still frustrating to have acne at 24 though =/
I completely understand. Turning 30 next month and I have worse acne now than when I was in high school.

Well the acne is on the move. Did part of the bathroom routine this morning and then finally got to the mirror. Needless to say the acne from my back is now making its way up the side of my neck like a bad tattoo. Hurry up thursday.

Proactiv sort of worked for me for awhile (never fully cleared), but it did stop working and my acne got worse. I don't know why that was, b/c in theory it shouldn't, like Lydia said. But from what I've read a lot of people have a similar experience. I had better luck with Acne.org's Benzoyl peroxide regimen and products. But my skin rebelled against that after about a year. BP can be pretty brutal on your skin. It made my wrinkles much worse, too, b/c it also can severely dry your skin out. Within a couple of days of not using it, the wrinkles around my eyes were almost non-existant. I guess things are often a trade-off, though, and you have to decide what you are willing to deal with. And in the case of acne treatments, as with IBD treatments, what works for some doesn't work for others. I am 30 also, and have been in worse shape since Feb than I have since I was a young teenager. Maybe ever.

Yeah I alternate the Proactiv BP moisturizer every other day with JASON Vitamin C anti-aging cream. I am almost 30 so its time to use some wrinkle cream anyway.

Well finally got done with the gastro today and didn't learn much but am happy never the less for at least the first tidbit of good news. Anyway, he said that the acne was probably due to the prednisone but was puzzled when I told him that it didn' t start till I was off of it and that since being off of it that I pretty much was in full flare up again. So he put me on a longer dose of pred than the last time to be used in combo with the apriso. Okay, we will see I this clears up my acne. The good news though is that I finally get to go on a biologic (cimzia) provided the bloodwork, x-rays, and tb test come back okay. Honestly is the biologic fixes the bung hole problem I could care less about the acne at all but only time will tell.

I have been using a benadryll type cream the past two days and it has helped the itching therefore letting a lot of the acne simmer down a little bit, but still has not gone away. Will have to check out the acne.org as well for that b-peroxide.

I completely understand. Turning 30 next month and I have worse acne now than when I was in high school.

Well the acne is on the move. Did part of the bathroom routine this morning and then finally got to the mirror. Needless to say the acne from my back is now making its way up the side of my neck like a bad tattoo. Hurry up thursday.
I'm 51 and I'm broke out like I'm 18!! Been on Imuran.

I think it just has to get out of your system before the skin clears.

Maybe try Acne.org products-they work great for me. Prescription Clindamycin is good,too. Be gentle with your skin-I'm 38 and I can't nuke acne with products like I did at 16; it burns my skin.

I also use zinc oxide cream-it's greasy but very soothing and heals the acne,too.