• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Crohn's + IBS anyone else suffer?

I am a 37 year old female and was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease aged 15. My parents used to have a house in Stratford-Upon-Avon and I came down one morning and mum asked me what I had in my mouth. Nothing I told her, she thought I had a golf ball in my mouth as it was swollen on one side along the jawline. Along the gumline was a flap of skin which had grown and become sore, this was causing the swelling. A trip to the dentist and a biopsy later and I was diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. I count myself fortunate in a way because I went through none of the trouble with ongoing diagnosis issues. When I was diagnosed I didn't even have any bowel problems, they came about 6 months later.....

...I started having accidents at night. Sometimes I would have two or even three accidents where I would soil the bedsheets. I started getting tummy pain, diarrhoea etc. From the ages of 16 to 21 it just steadily got worse and worse. I didn't realise how bad it had got because it developed so gradually. By the time I was 21 I was bed-ridden at University. I only got out of bed to go to lectures and even then I still missed loads. I was in terrible pain all of the time, eating was excrutiating, i used to roll around on the floor in agony. I never felt well and had become used to being in constant pain. Eventually I saw sense and phoned my dad to tell him that something had to be done, I had had enough. The medical support up to this point had been almost nil. I used to go to a clinic at a hospital in Liverpool where I would be kept waiting for hours only to be seen by a junior with no history of me and usually no notes, no clue and no treatment!

Shortly after I rang my dad, a relative who was a radiographer saw me and gave me a Barium meal. I managed about half a glass of the pink liquid and after the x-ray it soon became apparent why! There were two severe strictures in my small bowel where it joined my large bowel and two large areas of swollen bowel before each stricture. I saw a surgeon who told me that he had to operate very soon. Within a matter of weeks I was at the private Alexandra Hospital in Cheadle, Manchester undergoing what I was told would be a fairly routine bowel resection surgery which would keep me in hospital for about a week. On opening me up my surgeon found several large abscesses and because my bowel was much worse than he had anticipated he decided to let the bowel heal properly before re-joining it so I woke up with an ileostomy! The idea was to let the bowel heal for about a month and then perform another resection to rejoin my bowel. I never got out of hospital during the four weeks I had a bag as kept losing weight. I am nearly 6ft tall and got down to 7.5 stone! After my bowel was rejoined and i had recovered from my second operation I was allowed home. In all I had been in hospital for over 6 weeks!

It took me fully a year to recover from my bowel surgery, the immediate aftermath was terrible I was going to the toilet over 20 times a day, I think my record was 28 and the burning to my rectum was intense! Slowly and surely though I did recover and most importantly of all the pain had gone, there was no pain any more. It was a massive relief for me.

The next 5 or 6 years were fairly uneventful, i got a job, started living my life, going to nightclubs, things I couldn't do when I was a teenager as I was too ill. I effectively had lost 6 years of my life and for the first time I could enjoy myself. I still had diarrhoea and urgency but at least I could control it to some extent and I still had no pain. I used to have a mental map of where all the loos were and this became second nature to me and I still do this today.

I had a few minor flare ups after 5 years but these have always been controlled quickly with prednisolone. My problems now are I believe nothing to do with my Crohn's. I have terrible urgency along with bowel cramps, wind and high frequency, i often go 10+ times a day. There is no pain as such and my bowel motions are made up of lots of small pieces of poo that float on the top of the water and are a bugger to flush! I am 100% convinced I now have IBS as well as the Crohn's although the Crohn's is not currently flaring.

I take buscopan and mebeverine along with enteric coated peppermint capsules to help relieve the wind. Does anyone else have IBS problems on top of a history of Crohn's or UC?

Thanks, Emma :)

welcome and sorry to hear about your crohn's past, thats must have been very difficult, you're in the right company!!

the symptoms you describe are the same to that of a crohn's sufferer so i wouldn't rule out the possibility that the crohn's symptoms have just simply changed and affected you in a slightly different way.
i have had crohn's for 11 years, each time i flared i was the same, except for my last flare up, was completley different style of pain and didnt involve diarrhoea which was strange for me but it was a flare up netherless.
yes, the symptoms for IBS are similar to crohns and the 2 often get confused especially during diagnosis but they are both completley different conditions and i'm thinking it's very unlikely to have both affecting the bowel at the same time.

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome!

Goodness, you've certainly been through a lot, you poor thing!

Do you by chance keep a food diet? Are you very strict with your diet? You may want to check out our diet and fitness forum to see if anything there strikes a chord with you.

All my best to you :)

Hi Fizzifish,

Yep. I have Crohns and IBS. I used to think IBS was a bunch of BS, but now I'm not so sure. But i also do not think it's exactly what they say it is either. I'll try to explain...

I started having symptoms like you described after my Crohns had been in remission for a while. Along with the bowel cramps, urgency, gas and bloating, I also have pencil thin stools. They start out flat and wider in the morning and narrow as the day progresses, down to the size of a green bean by around noon. I have 5-10 BMs in the early part of the day then absolutely nothing in the evenings. That's when I get bloated and grumbly. But I never felt quite like it was my Crohns. It was different. When I told my doc about my problems, he ordered bloodwork and a colonoscopy which came back good. Just scar tissue from old inflammation. In the past, I have always had markers in my bloodwork and positive biopsies from my colonoscopy. But I wasn't surprised by the results, because in my heart I did not feel like it was the Crohns. I should also mention that, while these symptoms were pretty much a daily thing, they got much worse near my period time.

Then I started having blood in my stools during my period. This has been going on for four months now. My OB/GYN thinks I have bowel endometriosis, which can only be confirmed via laproscopy, which he does not want to do because he's afraid it might flare the Crohns. If you google endometriosis, you will also see that many of these symptoms can overlap as well. So I think that many people with IBS diagnosis actually have endo problems. Apparently IBS affects far more women than men and since endo can only be diagnosed laproscopically it would not be seen in bloodwork or scopes, so it makes sense to me that women just get thrown the "IBS diagnosis". In fact, some doctors estimate that ALL women have some degree of enodmetriosis. It's very common. I am 39 years old and was on birth control since 16 due to horrible cramping issues I had back then from my period. I was told IBS, but my doc put me on the pill to help witht he cramps. It wasn't until I was 35 that i got off the pill to try and get pregnant. These problems are fairly recent and have gotten gradually worse over time. So again, the endo theory fits.

Right now I am agressively trying to get pregnant, hoping that will help with the endo issues along the way. But the big difference is that I have altered my diet to gluten-free (just on a hunch it would help) and it has made a HUGE difference. Not sure how that all fits in, but I am convinced that the whole thing with IBS/IBD/endometriosis are all very closely related to how the immune system handles things, which is why there is so much overlap in people with multiple problems. I think the key is to find your triggers and eliminate them. I have always known that processed foods bother me, but never made the wheat connection until now.

Sorry to babble on. It's just that after so many years of battling stomach issues, supposedly related to Crohns and not related to Crohns, it's starting to finally all make sense to me. At least in my head, if I can't explain it to anyone else! Hopefully some of what I said makes sense and hopefully gives you some type of help to find some answers yourself. Good luck!